• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That is some WET snow!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is some WET snow!!

Well we ended up with a good couple inches of wet wet snow today. I know they were talking some but this ended up quite a bit. Makes doing any work hard when its this wet. Came back from thanksgiving at the in-laws and there is enough crop out. After this stuff today it will take at least a week to dry and that puts it to past the middle of the month plus moisture in the forecast. Is anybody with crop out getting worried?? Sorry for the guys that had trouble/bad luck but I wonder how many of the guys with crop out have just too much land???

I don't totally agree with that comment. Some people are properly equipped and manned to handle their large acres. Unfortunately between the possibility of breakdowns and in some cases incessent moisture....some guys are behind the eightball when normally they'd be caught up or on schedule.....one of those years.

I think most realize the harvest window is only so big....so many optimum days...plan for the worst and hope for the best.

But I do have a saying.....I'm not going to chew what somebody else bit off....especially if its more than a mouthful!

Ya...I guess there's those too.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	765145u
      Originally posted by 4GFarms View Post
      Well we ended up with a good couple inches of wet wet snow today. I know they were talking some but this ended up quite a bit. Makes doing any work hard when its this wet. Came back from thanksgiving at the in-laws and there is enough crop out. After this stuff today it will take at least a week to dry and that puts it to past the middle of the month plus moisture in the forecast. Is anybody with crop out getting worried?? Sorry for the guys that had trouble/bad luck but I wonder how many of the guys with crop out have just too much land???
      every second quarter was like this , all fall....Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	765145, 80% done and we use 1500 ac/class 8 combine , for our needs in this country . gonna need some heat . snows nearly gone tho

Comment

Heavy stands with lots of straw are usually hard to get, but Indian Summer is on the way. We've been here before, then the weather changes and we wished we had another section. 😀

Comment

Wow looks tough CaseIH. We had a tougher than normal harvest too, Everything we thought would be ready early then the rains came and nothing matured. Long growing season. Even after more than 3 weeks in the swath we were grinding hard on the canola, sometimes less than 1mph. It just wasn't easy going. Lots of breakdowns on combines in early part of season. (I heard other folks had same experience). We are nearly done but that last bit of canola is still in swaths. So can't head to Arizona yet . Just Kidding... we spend the winter right here, repairing combines and prepping the drill.

Comment

Calling for -8C tomorrow, That should really soften up those canola swaths for us.

Comment

Always lots of guys out there with too much to handle but this fall is not the case. We have not had more than 2 or 3 days in a row without moisture of some kind since the 2nd week of July. Still guys that are trying to put up 1st cuts of hay and it's October. We are at 10% done area anywhere from nothing done to maybe 40% max for some that had the stars align. Still figure we'll get it in the bin but definitely adding to the stress level in the neighborhood! Central AB west of hwy 2

Comment

I remember one farmer telling me his 110 day wheat wasn't ready to combine until 148 days. And even then it was borderline.

It's not coming down to too much land, not enough time this year. It's coming down to too much moisture and nothing is ripening! At least around here.

I've heard stories of canola sitting at the same moisture for 3 weeks even down in swaths. Don't want to put it in the bins tough but now it's getting down to put it in however you can get it and hope the terminals can get it in and on a train.

Comment

or you can say if you can get your crop off in under 2 weeks you have too many combines for the land you have......

Comment

Nicolaas...better to be "over equipped" than "under equipped"....at least that's what she said.

Comment

4G your just giddy thinking about others that are too big with crop out. Hope you get a bit of karma for your caring. East central sask in the past week has seen upwards of 3 1/2 inches of rain and 6 inches of snow. Everyone I know is worried about this crop and next spring. Ive been in this buisness long enough to know that much rain and snow is not good for anyone no matter how big or small.

Comment

" we use 1500 ac/class 8 combine , for our needs in this country "

Agree, we are about there, still takes 15-20 actual days we are combining to get done. Multiples of that are needed JUST IN CASE 2016 happens! Local HUGE farm, finished with 3000/ combine all straight cut. Lots of dryer time too, lots of hired help.
                        2-3 week window is about it!

Comment

someyears you leave your crop out. We dry our grain, but you first must get it through the combine. Who would have thought the harvest would end in the last days of September? October looks like/ is crap. I believe the crop will stay out, and it has happened before, and you can't do anything about it.

Comment

Breadwinner, I have had enough karma to go around two or three times in my short farming career. If you think i am giddy about people having crop out you are wrong. Some of my good friends have crop out and we will be the first to go help when it comes time. You are an arrogant A** for assuming that is what I am like. I will give you my shirt off my back if you need it but piss me off and you will be lucky if I give you my sweaty gotch!

Comment

Twenty some days no harvesting pretty much sums things up. I have a 10k ac farm, run 3 class 8 combines and not done. Durum was taking for ever to mature, some taking 135 days. I've farmed for 30 yrs and this had to be one of the most challenging. The idea of "having more than you can chew" is only about jealousy. There's a lot of smaller farms with crop out yet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...