• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That is some WET snow!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And there are alot of bigger farms that are done. Even bigger than you bigzee. I am already planning for future years like this one. Looking at different combines, the possibility of a dryer, etc. Everyone gets dealt shitty hands sometime and I have been through those. How many of you enjoyed the $14/$15 bu canola years when we hardly seeded anything because of excess moisture. Funny nobody is hassling the canola and flax guys that hope the crop stays out so the prices will go up in the other threads.
    Last edited by 4GFarms; Oct 10, 2016, 23:25.

Comment

Should we feel bad for the Bto's that are not finished farming land in 5 different rm's. Live by the sword die by the sword. They love to claim efficiencies of scale well enjoy!
      Last edited by biglentil; Oct 11, 2016, 00:16.

Comment

I can't speak to other areas, but for me, no amount of equipment would have changed my progress. Although descication would have, and a grain dryer would have. I've been told that more harvest happens in Oct than Sept historically here, and it certainly has been true in my time. So I wasn't panicked, when nothing was close to dry. We went hard on the few dry days, but could only find bits and pieces of crop that weren't off the charts wet. In hind sight ( so far) should have taken anything that would go through the combine, and deal with the consequences, but if the weather straightens out, that could have been a disaster.

What should have been the earliest harvest ever in this area will instead be the latest. People were seeding in Mid April here, which is unheard of. But no heat and rain almost everyday just prolonged the agony. There is still first cut hay to be put up around here. And what did get baled was mostly garbage.

Standing crops are shedding the snow fairly well. But ground is saturated, even standing water. Remaining barley was flat on the ground, so won't dry very easily.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          I can't speak to other areas, but for me, no amount of equipment would have changed my progress. Although descication would have, and a grain dryer would have. I've been told that more harvest happens in Oct than Sept historically here, and it certainly has been true in my time. So I wasn't panicked, when nothing was close to dry. We went hard on the few dry days, but could only find bits and pieces of crop that weren't off the charts wet. In hind sight ( so far) should have taken anything that would go through the combine, and deal with the consequences, but if the weather straightens out, that could have been a disaster.

What should have been the earliest harvest ever in this area will instead be the latest. People were seeding in Mid April here, which is unheard of. But no heat and rain almost everyday just prolonged the agony. There is still first cut hay to be put up around here. And what did get baled was mostly garbage.

Standing crops are shedding the snow fairly well. But ground is saturated, even standing water. Remaining barley was flat on the ground, so won't dry very easily.
          You must be near me!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
            You must be near me!
            I'm straight west of Red Deer, about as far west as anyone dare try to grow grain. We had a few very short decent harvest days, but not enough to get any crop dry or ripe.

Comment

4G...if you referring to my comments in the flax and canola threads....you're wrong, I am not hoping the rest of this crop doesn't get harvested. It was simply marketing comment and how much tough grain may be pushed onto the market. And when more is offered, and in less than ideal quality and quantity. ...guess what will happen to prices! Simple observation on my part, not wishing bad luck.

Biting off more than you can chew comment.... I had this conversation with someone else. What's the difference between 2500-3000 acres with one class 8 combine and 5-6000 acres with two class 8's or 7500-9000 acres with 3 class 8's? Everything is relative. I've stated I'm in the recreation league by choice. If I don't want the head ache of managing 10, 000-20, 000 acres that is my business....but don't claim I am suffering from "sour g****s" when in reality we aren't that far apart in what we're each going. I've also said if I wanted more to do I'd buy or rent some more land. So if you bit it off...start chewing, if the weather was less than co-operative, it's not my fault and I'm sure there are many in the same boat as the guy " not done".

Can you imagine the beating the combines may have to endure? Wrapping flax straw, "pounding" tough canola swathes through. Scraping the ground to try to get crops that went almost flat. Getting stuck. "Rescuing" some operators is like enabling an addict.... if some health issues arose or a catastrophic breakdown occured(but you can rent or lease)..different story. But for the guy who can never get enough? Then takes on more because he was rescued the year before....I don't think so.

Best of luck getting done.
              Last edited by farmaholic; Oct 11, 2016, 06:54.

Comment

9 days in September between rains.

You can have 3 or 6 or 7 or 10 if mother nature wants to F#$K with you it doesn't matter.

Comment

Farmaholic, I have no problem with any statement you have made. I am only pointing out that a few turned on me as I asked the question "do some have to much land", so I just wanted to know why nobody asked in the other threads as you and a few other discussed possible outcomes for this year that may reflect an increase in price. So here is my observation (like it or not),
                  1) you are done harvesting
                  2) you had lots of hardships during harvest (rain, repairs, etc)
                  OR
                  3) you have too much land (if this last one offends you then you fall into this category and you should probably go out and buy/rent a few more combines)

Maybe the weather turns around and you can get it off or maybe winter stays. I will tell you how it all played out come april!!!! That is when my crystal ball will tell me haha

Comment

SF3, did you guys get this last snowfall?? How far north did it go?

Comment

I looked at the satellite this morning and couldn't believe how all of Canada, that's right -all is covered in cloud.

Comment

I turned on you when you asked "are you getting worried?" It definatly sounded sarcastic when you followed it up with your last statments..... who the F@&$ wouldn't be worried? If you have and skin in this game you are worried because that could be it for the year. Bang your done no warnings no second chances, thats it your finished till spring. I guess we live too far north to ever get done too many times in Sept unless we have a drought. We are not big operators and either are our neighbours and none of us are done. Im sure glad your done if you were wondering.

Comment

It has been between plus 1 and minus 4 here for a week now with rain or snow almost every day. The "current" forecast shows much the same for at least 7 days.
                          Might see the sun partly on Wednesday and Thursday then back to solid cloud and rain/snow for several days.
                          I think we will use the partly sunny days to put everything away . I think even fall work is done , let alone combining .
                          Got about 1/2 the spraying and fall work done in between harvest delays .
                          As far as harvest goes , right locally most is done , but go 10 miles in any direction and there is a fair amount left out.
                          There are big farms done , small farms not done , the opposite, and everything in between.

Comment

Yea it hit us this time but still not the major that was further north. I need 8 days and thats it. Dryer is ready propane filled. Combines full of fuel and ready work force still not going to phoenix but nov 3 they are. Custom work will have lots if we get done.

Thousands of acres out in our area.

9 days harvest sept between rain storms didn't help. If would of went all night last Saturday would of had one more off before the rain.

Comment

I'm sure, before not too much longer, some global warming zealot will be on here, telling you all, that your a bunch of liars, that this has been the hottest summer on record, the prairies are drying up and you won't be able to grow crops in the future because it'll be SOOOO hot and dry. That you should likely have your auction sale now, before all the others decide to sell at the same time. Buy some land in the NWT, so you can start farming up there when everywhere else on earth is burning up.

Truth is we had normal temps this season for about 7-10 days near the end of Apr and then again at the start of Aug, ALL THE OTHER WEEKS WERE BELOW NORMAL TEMPERTURE, and Moisture till hell won't have it.

2011, can I see you coming again???

Comment

Well if you were lucky , like my small area and did not get that, you may have a chance.
                                But again all forecasts are not pointing to any Indian Summer at all, so far.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...