• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vomitoxin/DON testing. (Do not read this if you are offended by profanity)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
    OUCH!!
    If I can't take any criticism I shouldn't be posting my thoughts on an open internet forum.

Let it rip. My skin is pretty thick.

Comment

Lol, ok famaholic, how come people like you constantly hav trouble dealing with grain terminals? Maybe you don't understand the grading system? Maybe your abrasive? people are human, would you wanna deal with yourself? Do you forget when fusarium first became a problem? The --- said there was no market for it. Farmers and grain co's had to find their own markets. Yep your whining like a little bitch! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
        Whoa that escalated!! 😂
        Lol Proof read Darn it! Sorry auto correct my apologies.

Comment

Does this help?

http://www.biomineralstechnologies.com/library/12-plant-nutrition/15-vomitoxin-deoynivalenol-don-in-cereal-grains

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
            Lol Proof read Darn it! Sorry auto correct my apologies.
            Haha I don't know if I should be more worried that your phone thinks you say anal more than animal!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
              Haha I don't know if I should be more worried that your phone thinks you say anal more than animal!
              Think it just wanted to adhere to warning in title of trend. Ya smartphone.

Comment

Stoney...I sell all my grain every year....to various buyers. No problem!

I just lost a long response to posters because of a "smart"phone issue and don't want to retype all my scattered thoughts.

If one more person now knows that Vomi/DON levels aren't part of the CGC grain grading guide but a push from end use customers then the thread was successful...and we really don't know what they'll accept....sell direct?

And if informing ones self isn't for everyone...so be it. Take everyone's word at face value. I for one, don't want to be an easy target. I enjoy knowing my customers know I have a level of knowledge about the product I produce.

Comment

Maybe what the cgc needs is some compliance officer with teeth?

Comment

So are you upset with the CGC for not having amounts of vomi for grades in the guide? Or are you upset with the middlemen like mills, etc that follow CFIA guidelines about vomi levels?

You kind of sound like the beef producers who are mad people don't want their implanted and antibiotic fed animals from feedlots. But that is supply and demand, as producers we supply the consumers what they want, even if we don't necessarily agree with it.

I understand fus is harder to control than giving animals crud, but if it's not fus it's ergot or sclerotinia or a treated seed or a bug in your truck load. Or a new spray that Japan or China decide they don't want. If the buyers don't want it then they aren't going to buy it which makes the product next to worthless. Can't get mad at the CGC or elevators for not wanting a worthless product.

Comment

My concern would be, is grain getting downgraded because there are no "guidelines" as to what is acceptable. Just hearsay. Sell direct?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	765117

These "screenings" were sold to a feed mill for $3.50 a bushel ($3.25 net to me because the Mill and I shared freight costs). This was the year our durum was graded commercial salvage. Clean-out was fairly high.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0860.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	765118

Cleaned sample.

Some of the stuff I read says milling can reduce DON levels by as much as 50% because most of the mycotoxin is on the bran. So white flour and semolina will have less DON than the whole grains they're milled from.

an older guideline from NDSU, Sept 2005 (maybe tolerances have tighten or relaxed in certain categories)

1 ppm

Finished wheat products, such as flour, bran
                      and germ, that potentially may be consumed by
                      humans. The FDA does not set an advisory level
                      for raw grain intended for milling because normal
                      manufacturing practices and additional technology
                      available to millers can substantially reduce DON
                      levels in the finished wheat product. However,
                      individual millers or food industries may have
                      stricter requirements than 1 ppm.

10 ppm

Grains and byproducts destined for ruminating
                      beef and feedlot cattle older than 4 months and
                      for poultry, providing that these ingredients don’t
                      exceed 50 percent of the diet

5 ppm

Grains and grain byproducts destined for swine,
                      providing that these ingredients don’t exceed 20
                      percent of the diet

5 ppm

Grains and grain byproducts destined for all other
                      animals, providing that these ingredients don’t
                      exceed 40 percent of the diet

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        Maybe what the cgc needs is some compliance officer with teeth?
                        We had what was called The Office Of Assistant Commissioners. Anyone that is not familiar with what/who that was I would encourage you read this article. Please disregard author, if it bothers you, but it explains mandate and value of office very well.

http://www.nfu.ca/publications/assistant-commissioner-role-misunderstood-government

In that article it refers to the Compas review, for those that aren't familiar with that it can be found on web at: http://www.agr.gc.ca/info/consult/cgc-ccg/pdf/compas_cgc-ccg_e.pdf.

A long and boring read but starting on page 39 under Sec 4.0 Talks about the recommendation of a Grain Farmers Advocacy Board to replace the 6 Ass't Commissioners.

The Office Of Assistant Commissioners was never filled nor was the Grain Farmers Advocacy Office established. Even tho it was clearly recommended and felt needed by the review, that was requested by the Gov't itself.

If this office had been established it could have been given power to investigate concerns of the whole grain industry from Grading/dockage disputes, to contract issues, right to Rail trans issues, on behalf of grain producers. We would have a venue to voice our issues and concerns without having to resort to social media.

Another good read for those not familiar with the history, mandate and value of the CGC is an official history book by J. Blanchard - A history of the Canadian Grain Commission.

http://www.ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=2538&qryID=7b5a3476-6f58-4a22-b487-83a941d19a0b

I would be asking powers to be and all concerned to please follow through with The Compas Review (2004) recommendations and establish This Grain Farmers Advocacy Office.

Comment

Had a chat with marketer from USA today and was confirmed that 2ppm was max tolerance for milling same as Canada I believe.

Comment

Johston's has actual feed durum sales quoted at $3.50/bu. (unknown vomi levels)... Some local terminals are throwing around prices of about $2.50 for high vomi durum.... I guess we know where to go....if we have to.

Comment

Min requirement on HVK is 80 percent on no 1 Durum .5 Fuz. Mine comes in .6 Fuz 81 HVK automatically #3 f'ing joke. Especially since theres a $2 spread betw 2 and 3.
                              Last edited by biglentil; Oct 5, 2016, 14:16.

Comment

I'm sure they'll "bend" the rules for that grain. Even if they don't----it won't get sold to the end user as a three!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...