• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Letter to stop the sale of GM alfalfa seed in Canada

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Most seed spread occurs because of poorly cleaned seed. Some of that is caused by inadequate on farm and elevator cleaners. "

Perhaps
    the above generaliztion overlooks the significant problem of inseperable seeds.

Anyone got one viable solution for removing something practically the same size as an alfafa seed from an uncleaned lot destined for growing alfalfa.

It matters little if you have a $50 hand turned machine or a state of the art million dollar one. You literally should be aiming for a full 100% no miss job. And it can't be done on the scale of Western Canada needs.

Comment

Freewheat. Good questions. There isn't much demand for glyphosate tolerant alfalfa in western canada. Most alfalfa here is used in grass mixtures for beef production so it will never be sprayed. Some dairy farmers might want it to maintain pure stands of high quality. Some alfalfa seed growers might want it to serve the US seed market.

The majority of alfalfa seed producers are concerned about losing markets in the EU and elsewhere. Some of the alfalfa hay and pellet exporters are also concerned about losing markets.

Alfalfa is one of the most competitive plants you can grow except in the first year of establishment.

There is lots of potential market risk with its introduction and little upside benefit for 99% of farmers.

Did we learn anything from what happened with flax? Who is going to benefit? GM alfalfa is not really needed and the potential risk of significant market loss is high.

Comment

Oneof we know you don't like organic farming. That's fine.

But perhaps you should pay more attention to what is going on in your own fields rather than what your neighbors are doing?

Are you pretty sure all your fields, yards, fencelines, sloughs are completely free of noxious weeds?

Let us know when you achieve your weed free status.

Good luck with that!

Comment

"Alfalfa is one of the most competitive plants you can grow except in the first year of establishment. "

Open your eyes and you will see that this is not true.

and painting me as hating all organic farmers is just not true. If you actually knew me you would know that I don't swallow any kind of bull shit easily.

Some people choose to only entertain that which confirms that which they already know to be true. In your case that seems to be fully true; and I guess its just a case of having very little in common.

Comment

I guess I remain neutral. I hesitate to sign anything that Elizabeth May will respond to. I do get the concerns. Thank you for clarifying them a bit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...