• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cutworms

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea unfortunately we getmorethan our share of them. I haven't found any yet while while checking seed placement but lots have . This is unusually early .we just watch for plants cut off , or wilted, usually then you will dig beside plant and cutworm will be just under surface . Most times they are just on high knolls , alfalfa ground , summerfllow real bad . They were really bad in the flax last year, worst damage we have had for a long time .i was watching it close but got a lot of damage . Normally you see them first on high knolls .they will go right down a drill run . I tried spot spraying last year but was a waste of time . If you haven't had them you will be amazed at how fast they can clean the acres off. Be especially careful on frozen canola , it is hard to pot the damage in the frost damaged plants . They work all night , rain doesn't slow them at all . We farm in the northeast . When you see any amount get the lorsban , have used matador also , and go just before dark or in the night if your rigged up . Lots of water good coverage , rain after really helps , we have the red backed one usually

Comment

http://www.canolacouncil.org/canola-encyclopedia/insects/cutworms/#. Pic of the types on here

Comment

oh , and if you see a flock of crows in your field , that is another real good sign of cutworms . lots of times you will find damage in those spots

Comment

Thanks aloe. My scouting needed improvement. Hope have time for fishing this summer. I have had damage most years in my canola.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...