• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical Tillage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree Freewheat. Three quarters of land, three land-owners across the fence and kitty-corner. Canola. One deep-tilled in fall, one burned everything black two weeks before seeding to 'warm things up'. I didn't even harrow after combining the fall before on mine. We all seeded the same day, we all swathed the same day. Looked like there wasn't more than a bushel per acre difference in yield. That 'warm-up' thing I think is bullshit.

Comment

Yeah I forgot to mention. I don't even harrow anymore either. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye? Yes! Dollars and sense monetary return? Debatable IMO.

Unless one makes a real mess at combining, and needs to smash up some lumps or poorly spread and chopped straw, (I have my fair share this year!!!),heavy harrows are an expensive implement, that to me is un-necessary to increase ones bottom line.

This study backs me up...

http://www.reducedtillage.ca/article41.aspx

With no yield benefit, yet with higher costs, we can see what the net return will be. Negative. Perty fields for sure, nice straight stripes in the fields, but at least in that study, no yield benefit. I found it interesting at least...

Comment

Coming from the shitest farmer i see the best farmers doing it so check your premise

Comment

The fields that grew the best crops here are untouched or harrowed.
          The shit poor crops are mostly tilled.
          Most of that was swamp when homesteaded.
          The water table is at the surface.

Comment

Maybe we should be just doing a headland with a $3000 disc, light it up and sit in the tractor with a beer and do some agrivilling and watch it burn.

Comment

Oops. Forgot about the hernia creating ruts out in my fields. 4 every 35 ft. Bang bang bang bang,

Comment

We got our own juice rig this year. So were spikin in hydrous hydrous hydrous. Just finished all our boggy packed rutted canola stubble tonight. Wanted to hit our worst 1/3 of our cereal stubble. But not sure if that's an option with the forecast. Putting on fert makes me feel like I'm doing something meaningful anyway

Comment

freewheat - you get done?

Comment

Furrow. 50ish acres barley left. And more snow overnight! I am admitting defeat. Its over.

Comment

Greybeard - interesting , it was the exact opposite here. We were done seeding wheat before most guys started - they were waiting for the soils to warm up.
                      There was a huge diff in canola emergence and early season vigour here, some canola just sat and did nothing for 2 weeks after emergence in heavy stubble.
                      In this area too much H2O was not as much the issue it was cold temps. The heavier rains that cause delays came right at the end of May and early June
                      Who knows about next year - every spring if different.

Comment

Regarding soil temperature, and waiting for it to warm up. For us over here, actually waiting for the soil to warm up is not ever an issue. You seed when the field will support you, you do not take soil temperatures.

I remember when I and my wife first married. Her grandpa had died, and seeing as I was the only farmer in either side of the family, I "inherited" and interesting contraption. In laws, with much pride and assumption, handed me little probe like object. They obviously thought I could put the thing to good use.

BUT......

I looked at it and had no idea what it was. They told me it was a soil thermometer. Upon hearing this, I still had no idea what to do with the thing, because waiting around for the soil to warm up was such a foreign concept to me!

To have the luxury to actually wait for the soil to warm up, must be like sitting on a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!

This kind of shows what I am saying about soil warm up with tillage: In an anomoly area like this area is, ( I mean, who else has 5 or more inches of snow right now as an example!), it doesn't much matter what you do. The soil when it offers support for machinery, is the sign to go. Not soil temp.

This usually occurs when the last bit of snow is almost gone from the treelines. I have no idea what the soil temp is, but it simply must be pretty cold...

We truly are in a micro-climate here. We always get more rain, more snow, and cooler daytime temperatures than pretty much anywhere around. Wadena, 20 minutes west, is always dryer. Fjlip and Partners are only probably 25 miles northwest of me, but they have their own climate. Preeceville, 35 miles east, is always dryer too.

Thankfully, for whatever reason, we have a bit longer growing season, which is bizarre. But we are in a truly cursed cool, damp area for whatever reason. Sorry, went on a tangent, but I have not much else to do. I am not really that into making snowmen, and refuse to put the blade on the tractor before Halloween! lol!

Comment

Same goes for micro climate here , huge changes 20 miles north and south , fairly consistant east to west . Mostly b/c the lay of the land and a general west to east rainfall pattern - well used to be lol

Comment

Yeah we used to have the advantage of never being short of rain while the other areas were dry. Not so anymore. grrr. Historically our best years were the dry ones, the thirties, 1988, 2001-2003, etc., because we caught the rains.

I thought of one other thing on the tillage front I also have noticed, regarding tall stubble, vs. tilled land.

First, once the tall stubble is poking through the snow in the spring, the snow melts rapidly because the stubble warms up quick.

Second, because of less snow drifts forming in the tall stubble in a typical snowfall year, the snow melts more evenly, where as with tilled land, you have bare hills, and then you have hollows with 7 feet of snow. So the snow not only melts unevenly, but sloughs fill up more readily from what I have seen, from all that deep, drifted snowpack, which is already in a lower slope position, ready to fill the sloughs...

It does have a lot to do with the lay of the land, for sure...

Comment

All seeds germinate the best... just on top of the ground just under the straw. The sun breaks down seeds that are exposed... cold warm wet dry cycles break down seeds... and make them inert and die. Mix in weeds and oilseeds... and they can last for 30 years...when harrowed or tilled into the top inch. The deeper the mix... the longer they last.

We need every last drop of water on our hill tops... with crop residue to hold it where it falls... the less evaporation and more percolation the better the crops.

Our seeder leaves a 2-3 inch black strip/grove for the seeds to emerge from... and this protects them from frost when small. The less sunlight that hits the soil between the rows... the fewer the weeds and better moisture retention.

So...My vertical tillage happens when I seed the crop. Straw management needs to happen with the combine or a shredder/mower.... or planning ahead and baling if the straw load is too much and needs to be lowered. Chaff is not moved significantly by tillage in an event... and other than breaking off the stubble... to reduce snow catch on the high areas as has been mentioned...

Burning $5/gal diesel... and spending $250/hr... to impress your city cousin with your tractor... is for those who want to watch 'Top Gear'... not for our farm where we are.

Comment

Tom, I think you and I will agree on this one. Better to spend money on a good chopper and spreader and do it right the first time.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...