• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Fusarium Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Fusarium Wheat

Hearing about high fusarium levels, especially Manitoba.
    Have not heard if vomitoxen and DON are equally high.
    Have heard high DON is a particular concern for young pigs and humans, less so for cattle.
    What about poultry?

1% fusarium works out to 0.1 ppm vomi

Comment

Not this year. Results are almost 1:1 and some samples the vomitoxin is 1.5x the fusarium damage.

Comment

Sorry... dunno what I was thinking. 1% is 1 ppm. If you have graminerium it's even higher.

Comment

Makes you wonder though, I know they say it can be harmful if to high, but if North America was to starve because of a food shortage, and the people looked like most of them in the third world country's, if some of this crap would still be such a big issue when you hauled it in?

Comment

Not sure about Fus but the last out break of Ergotism was 1990.

Comment

Hopalong, mono gastric animals, includes pigs, poultry, and humans have no tolerance to vomitoxin.

It literally makes them vomit. Our worst financial year in the hog business was 1992 when it first raised it's head. Pigs were off feed, didn't grow, and we had to replace all the barley we had grown.

Cattle can handle some levels if the grain was silaged. Then obviously, volume of vomitoxin is reduced. Cattle will refuse high grain ration with vomi.

Comment

I assume the surest way to know is have the sample tested, BY AN INDEPENDANT GRADER OR LAB. Experience tells me not to put all your faith and trust in the companies who will be buying your grain. But thats just me, not trustinv my "partners" again. Shame on me. No Grain Co. will be getting any sample from me or picked up on my farm by a "Grain Marketing Rep" until I pay to have it graded by SGS, CGC, or the like. Gee, I just don't trust the biased Grain Co's graders. I am sure we all have stories and I won't bore you with mine, simply because I think we all sing out of the same hymn book....

Here's to hoping quality isn't all bad.....

Comment

Agchat: Today I was thinking about the same thing you brought up. A world famine would put peoples priorities back in order and appreciate the necessities of life. Bleached grains, a bit of bran frost, a "little" disease, any lame excuse the crooks use to down grade it would be forgotten. Odd thing is you could put what we grow in a pot, cook and eat it WITHOUT any prior processing. But for some it's easier to eat out of a box. I know I wouldn't starve to death, maybe killed defending my grain though....

Comment

Any one else on the CGC harvest sample list? Will get ours done free. First wheat to be combine any day here, interested to see sample.

Comment

We are too but they really are unofficial, but I think a good guide. I think as long as the sample is representative you should have a good idea but without the cert.......???

I make sure the samples I pay to have done are representative and that is so important. The Crooks could argue that point but we are pretty diligent while unloading. KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE!!!!! DON'T TAKE THE "BUYERS" WORD. THEY'RE TRYING TO GET IT FROM YOU FOR AS LEAST AS POSSIBLE. It can be a real eye opener and amusing as to how either incompetent or blatantly obvious their down grading efforts are. It also can get your blood boiling.

Comment

We are on the CGC harvest sample list for the first time.

They sent the sample packages quite quickly, plan to start using them on about Sept 10th.

Comment

I think yall need to understand this... fusarium WILL MAKE YOU SICK. YOU CAN NOT EAT IT. END OF STORY. IF IT I'D IN FLOUR THE BREAD WILL MAKE YOU PUKE.

Don't try and sneak high fuzz in at the bottom of a load. It's not something to be played around d with just like ergot

Yes we get our grain looked at by the harvest program at cgc also.

Comment

Klause, if its directed at me my statement did say "little". Not referencing heavily infected. "Little" was not meant sarcastically.

Comment

No... I meant in general.

Guys here t
                              Are talking g already of putting some good on top and shipping high fuz under it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...