• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chiquita Brands boycott Canadian ethical oil

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grassfarmer,

Wow... did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed...

Cheers!

Merry Christmas.

Comment

I'd like to ask how long has the sand been leaking into the river before we came along??
      Wasting fresh water is wrong.
      Better technologies are being used all the time. The tarsands are quite large compared to the area touched yet.
      Question; has anyone ever had a few beers with someone who's drilled in Russia?? Libya??
      Keeping the golden goose in tight rein is one thing, but strangling it is stupid. Ask yourself what the Chinese would'nt do with this resource?
      Take a look at what the Chinese are doing to get it.
      Take a good look at what some First Nations people are really pulling in $$$
      And yes Burbert just might be a banana; Delusional arguing just to share the smell, or is that closer to an outhouse??

Comment

Lottsa Alberities have their heads in the
        sand, following our Fed Gag minster, the
        ole Ostrich Framer. Others that work in
        the industry simply have their heads up
        their own a holes or the bosses. This is
        why the C's are soooooo, sucessful here in
        Albertie, cousin suckups and informers
        abound, in a province filled with high
        school flunkouts earning $56.00 per hr in
        the tar sands, suckin in out......

Comment

grassfarmer if you don't like Toms cut-and-paste crap you surely won't like mine.

[URL="http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/500.asp"]Alberta Health Services sets the record straight[/URL]

It seems, just like every other watermellon out there, you are spreading false statements to further your cause. I find that disturbing.

Comment

Did you actually read the report you posted?

"Fifty-one cancers in 47 individuals were found in Fort Chipewyan between 1995 and 2006, compared to 39 cancers expected"

I bet those extra 12 people with cancer (or 20% over statistical expectations) were/are pretty concerned about the issue.

How ethical was the treatment of the doctor who raised the initial concern?
            Health Canada charged him with "causing undue alarm in Fort Chipewyan and causing mistrust of government" among other things - charges which were later found to have no foundation.

"Causing mistrust of government" that sounds a bit North Koreaish does it not?
            Only in Alberta - where every last thing is now controlled by the cabinet room.

Comment

grassfarmer;
              I remember reading this quote too,"Other cancers were at or below expected levels." Fear campaigns always seam to conveniently leave facts like that out don't they?

Comment

I would also like to correct a oversight you had about the findings in the report.

You stated there was "extra 12 people with cancer" which is not the case.

The study states "Fifty-one cancers in 47 individuals were found in Fort Chipewyan between 1995 and 2006, compared to 39 cancers expected"

Just to clarify, there was 12 extra cancers, not 12 extra people with cancer.

Regardless of these numbers, cancer is cancer and it sucks, but are the numbers statically significant? I don't think so.

Comment

By Kelly Cryderman

CALGARY — International banana giant Chiquita appears to be softening its stance on using fuel from Canadian oilsands, saying that “misinformation” has been circulated by certain groups.

In a letter sent to the Alberta Enterprise Group dated Dec. 21, Chiquita Brands International senior vice-president Manuel Rodriguez said his company “is not boycotting or banning” Canadian oil.

“Today Chiquita sources, and will continue to source, Canadian oil,” the letter states.

The letter also says that over the last week there’s “been a significant amount of misinformation circulated by certain groups regarding our efforts to reduce our carbon footprint, specifically related to use of fuel. While we have commitments to reduce our carbon footprint across a range of activities, press reports have inaccurately stated that we have boycotted or banned Canadian oil. We are concerned about this too, and want to take this opportunity to set the record straight.”

Related
                  Oil sands lobby fires back at Chiquita

Oil sands embroiled in banana wars

But in November, the same Chiquita vice-president wrote a letter to the U.S.-based environmental group ForestEthics, saying the company will avoid “where possible, fuels from tar sands refineries and to adopt a strategy of continuous improvement towards the elimination of those fuels.”

The Edmonton-based Alberta Enterprise Group, a business lobby organization, called this month for Canadians to counter-boycott Chiquita. Group spokesman David MacLean said the newest letter, along with messages to other Canadian trade organizations, has satisfied his group that Chiquita has dropped its “anti-oil-sand” stance.

“It’s pretty mealy-mouthed. But for us, as a business advocacy organization, it’s good enough, it satisfies our requirement that they do not unfairly target the Canadian oil sands,” MacLean said.

Environmental groups have long expressed concerns about the rising greenhouse gas emissions from the oil sands, along with the heavy impacts on water, land and wildlife.

Calgary Herald

Comment

Hopper,

Chiquita has not recinded the requirement for trucks who haul Chiquita products... from avoiding oil sands Alberta oil in these machines hauling products in these contracts.

The objective of Chiquita remains to eliminate using fuel from Alberta.

As does my objective remain... to stop buying Chiquita products... which I told the store I buy from last evening.

The jaw dropping surprise, of the check out teller; was interesting!

This IS all about education!

Comment

What the hell is a chiquita

Comment

Oil and bananas: Politicians, Chiquita in tit-for-tat boycott

Michael Babad | Columnist profile | E-mail
                        Globe and Mail Update

Published Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2011 8:02AM EST

Last updated Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2011 2:24PM EST
                        "I gather that Chiquita Bananas has no problem with Iranian oil, but is boycotting Canadian oil," Immigration minister Jason Kenney said in a tweet a few days ago. "No more Chiquita bananas for me."

The MP for Calgary Southeast isn't alone.

"Send Chiquita CEO @FdoAguirreCEO note tell him his stand is wrong and how. Canada respects the environment and human rights," said Edmonton MP Rona Ambrose, the Minister of Public Works and Government Services and Minister for Status of Women.

Chiquita stresses its environmental and social record but it. Its mission, it says, is to improve global nutrition.

"We hold ourselves to high standards of corporate citizenship, corporate governance and corporate compliance," it said in its 2010 annual report.

"We are actively engaged in the communities where we operate, and have established sustainability initiatives designed to minimize our environmental footprint. In 2010, we once again achieved important certifications by the Rainforest Alliance, Social Accountability 8000 and GlobalGAP for strong environmental, labor and food safety practices, respectively."

But it, too, has known controversy. This is from the same annual report:

"As previously disclosed, in March 2007, the company entered into a plea agreement with the U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”) relating to payments made by the company’s former Colombian subsidiary to a Colombian paramilitary group designated under U.S. law as a foreign terrorist organization.

"The company had previously voluntarily disclosed these payments to the DOJ as having been made by its Colombian subsidiary to protect its employees from risks to their safety if the payments were not made. Under the terms of the plea agreement, the company pled guilty to one count of Engaging in Transactions with a Specially-Designated Global Terrorist Group without having first obtained a license from the U.S. Department of Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control.

"The company agreed to pay a fine of $25-million, payable in five equal annual installments with interest. In September 2007, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia approved the plea agreement. The DOJ had earlier announced that it would not pursue charges against any current or former company executives.

"Pursuant to customary provisions in the plea agreement, the court placed the company on corporate probation for five years, during which time the company and its subsidiaries must not violate the law and must implement and/or maintain certain business processes and compliance programs; violation of these requirements could result in setting aside the principal terms of the plea agreement, including the amount of the fine imposed."

Comment

Drink ing oil polluted water, rather
                          than beer or rye at Christmas time has
                          proven to be very popular in Albertie.
                          Fer myself, i LIKES the heavy weight
                          oil, no 5W30 fer me. The new synthetics
                          are smoother on ice than the olde
                          mineral type, which typically have more
                          flavor and lovely smell. Anyone ever
                          tried used oil, it may be really tasty,
                          better than all natural crud. Its a rush
                          ta try and cheat cancer and death by