• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stats Can BS again!!!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 1/2" of rain makes grain. 3" makes for a disaster. Crop is late again, will be listening to xmas carols on the combine. Not a pleasurable thought.

Comment

The specs are and commercials are one in the same.

If one or the other suspects one or the other is
      going to do something they will move at the same
      time.Anybody want to bet cargill underpays their
      guys?Or they have no talent?

Think about a flock of birds or school of fish.

The reason i spend so much time away from supply
      demand is that it is not the dominate factor and
      hasn't been for the past ten years.

The broader market is calling the shots-follow the
      crops that are not paper traded and you will see
      this.

And the short term hell i was taking about before,is
      here.

Liquidity is being drawn to paper,short term.

If anybody knew the decline rates of qwuar or
      cantrell
      you would wonder why crude wasn't 200 .

Comment

I don't think anyone is questioning the methodology of the numbers or the intentions of stats can, I am just concerned about the irrelevance of the data due to the time frame of when it was taken and when it comes out. I know my acreage numbers would have changed significantly a week after the survey was taken, due to is being much drier than anticipated(I took out oat acres and replaced with wheat). They need to get this info out a week after it is taken, because there are so many variables in ag, that to come out with seeding intentions after we are done seeding is useless. They should start the next survey immediately after the insurance deadlines and have it out before July 1st, this final number shouldn't change much over the summer.

In the information age stats can is being left in the stone age. Timely information is worth millions, late info is useless.

Comment

Strange comment but I will have a conversation on given day and have a recommendation for selling for one individual and buying for another. How could I do this? Because each one will have different object which may be locking in margin. Hedging is protecting from pain but also giving up opportunity. Different mindset on commercial hedger versus a speculator.

On the last post, Statscan is steeped in process and tradition.

Comment

Strike my comment further down Charlie.

But direction is direction is it not.

Surely (don't call me shirley),a producer can make his
            mind up on time frames.

Working a plan off the basis and options in todays
            world does not work-only in a sideways market.

Comment

As a farmer, you can make money timing your sales.

When I you ask whether I have an opinion in another thread - for sure I do. I like to treat like bow hunting deer. Observe and look for opportunities.

The opportunities have to be judged relative to a farm's marketing and business plan. One size does not fit all.

Comment

Geez sorry guys. All my fault, I told them I had half a
                million acres of each in this year. Thought the North
                Pole address would have clued them in.

Comment

How come now even the experts are questioning the Stats Canada numbers. Kevin From RBC securities even was wondering about the canola number.
                  19.8 x 20% high equals a harvested final acreage of 15.9.
                  I feel that's close to maybe slightly high. Flooded canola will be next on farmers mind.

Comment

Suspect no one is using 19.6 mmt in their supply demands. Even
                    suggest no one knows the number for sure. So if the number is ____
                    (you put it in), what will be the impact on futures prices? Basis?

What is the relationship between soybean oil prices and canola? I convert
                    CBT soybean oil prices to Canadian/lb and multiply by 10. December
                    CBT soyoil futures closed last night about 56.5 cents/lb. November ICE
                    canola - $565/tonne.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...