• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola School: Reducing Canola Left in the Field Increases Your Revenue and Lessens Volunteers- Deni

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thinks can keep under planting density. Another thinks its 3 to 5 bushels per acre. Should we add shattering loss before swathing, loss at swathing loss from pick up, hail loss, Saskfarmers frost, drown out, too wet loss, mudded in loss we could be up to total loss and how come were still getting 40 bushels to the acre.

This is how I learned from Dad and experience to harvest canola, don't swath until you can see some shattering. I set my IH on max wind and alter the sieve if needed. Watch the monitor and the ground to see if things change. Other than that its whatever can go in the front at max. ground speed.

Comment

Max Wind in canola? Really? My kids have never tried that. How about concave?

Will that be taught at the canola school?

Comment

By the sounds of it this might be a great future episode to focus on actual combine setting strategies.

[URL="http://www.realagriculture.com"]RealAgriculture.com[/URL]

Comment

Max wind works on my 2188 and 1680. Nice sample not much adjustments ever needed, I think mostly lighter seeds blown out anyway. Concave open and rotor speed as slow as can get away with. I would sure like to see how the canola school gets their 5 bushels maybe they just tested gleaner.

Comment

what a load of nonsense, 5lb an acre of spilt seed will give a full crop.
            you can never cut volunteers to zero.
            sounds like some wil get a crop where none was seeded, bettter than nothing.
            volunteers are ok.

Comment

Every bushel thrown over would be about 700 - 1000 seeds per square foot (depending on the 1000 seed weight). Just an interesting number to be aware of. Not arguing that some people could be throwing over five bushel but not to see 4000 seeds per square foot you would literally have to be blind.

Comment

I don't think Denise meant that 3-5 bushels was the average but the council must have seen this on some farms to mention it.

What is the groups opinion on what is the hardest crop to set the combine for.

<a href="http://www.realagriculture.com" target="_blank">RealAgriculture.com</a>

Comment

canary seed-its at the end of harvest,your mentally
                  and physically damaged goods,the weather sucks,and
                  you get incredibly uncomfortable making combine
                  adjustments.

Comment

I never got a chance to look. Was there an up front charge for this clinic?

Comment

My dad hates it when I do it but I to crank the the wind on canola and open the chaffer pretty far and use the sieve to clean up the sample. Adjust the rotor speed to the best distibution across the chaffer and go as fast as it will feed. It's unconventional but under the right conditions you can go 1.5-2mph faster without throwing anymore over than "old school" settings. If it's really dry I try to smash the hell out of the straw to make the chaff smaller and lighter then use wind speed to keep the chaff in the air, wide open chaffer. Throwing over 5lbs is pretty low but more than 15 and you should be rethinking your settings.

Comment

Flax can be a challenge

Comment

Shaney,

I have seen 15bu/ac on the ground.

Straight cut... after a week of rain with a 30-50km wind... day after day...

Swaths alone... before they are in the combine... can drop 30lb/ac.

Where is the loss actually happening??>?

I choose to run with low loss from the actual threshing elements themselves... not hard to grind up 10lb/ac... and only see yellow flakes! Especially with conventionals!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...