• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola School: Reducing Canola Left in the Field Increases Your Revenue and Lessens Volunteers- Deni

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola School: Reducing Canola Left in the Field Increases Your Revenue and Lessens Volunteers- Deni

</embed></object>

If you were throwing 3 to 5 bushels of canola over either you are blind or don't give a dam. If I see any more than enough to seed the field 5lbs I am readjusting.

Comment

Just pointing out the obvious but 1/10 of a bushel is what a lot of farmers seed at we're are now at 4.5 lbs an acre. Which with yields of quite often 50 bushels an acre becoming common ( or higher) is .0018 of the yield. You have to get yoour combine losses to .2 of a percent to equal 5 lbs an acre on 50 bushel canola.

If Denise or Shaun can set a combine better than that I'm looking to pay htem consultant fees to come and do it .

Comment

Im all for setting combines at maximum efficiency but
        i dont know anyone who is retarded enough to throw 5
        bushel an acre over,you really would have to be blind
        not to see that.

Comment

Coming in the next few weeks to Canola school.
          - Why the blue on the seeds is not the yummy candy coating
          - Why to use a Canola roller not a land roller when swathing Canola.
          - When to spray for Japanese movie monsters in your Canola
          And finally my favorite
          _ How to convince your wife a bouquet of flowering Canola and peas counts as a romantic gesture. ( flax is purdy too)

All these and more coming up on growing Canola for dummies...errr Canola school.

Now if you'll excuse me I have have to go phone a smart person about Wheat midge thresholds.

Comment

I just love you guys.

The council has done the research and found a 3-5 bushel result. I'm just passing on the information.

I know that on agriville this is an elite sample of farmers so probably you are all experts at setting your combine and have no volunteers.

I'm sure the Council did not just pull 5 bushels out of the air and guess losses.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Comment

Will they be so kind as to tell us their recommendations after the school for those that will not be able to attend?

Comment

Haven't you heard, shaney, you can't trust any one's aggregated (actually spread pattern) canola loss statistics? Such reports leak like sieves!

Comment

last year in very dry conditions and a big crop we could not get our combines to throw out less than 1 bu per acre. That was pretty high i thought. I was mad so i got a red demo and it was no different. And yes we tried every speed and setting under the sun to get it lower.

I challenge all of you who think you are doing such a great job to pull up your straw chopper up and collect what is coming out the back of the combine, weigh it and figure out the bu per acre, you will be very surprised.

brushing back the straw and blowing at the ground tells you basically nothing 1 bu per acre doesn't look like much using this method.

Comment

profarmer you are throwing way more than 5 lbs over i can tell you that for sure

Comment

bull, if the seeds exceed plant stalks i will adjust. 5 bushels would be solid seeds on the ground.

Comment

I am not saying you are throwing 5 bu but no way it is 5 lbs. point is how would you know by just looking on the ground canola seeds fall into little cracks, and guess what they are black just like the soil so pretty hard to see all of them.

Get a screen, collect all your straw and chaff you will freak out the first time you do it.

Comment

There is no way you would ever be leaving just 5lbs in the field.

Comment

Thats what I'm saying though , If I was throwing 250 lbs !!!!! there aint enough Prepass for that. they are saying between 30 and 50 times normal seeding rate! Even @ 1% loss its 50 lbs and thats more along the lines of what I would say average is..

This said the problem of volunteer canola is a real one and the game plan here now is rotate rr one year and the next rotation LL that way we can be 6 years between rr and should drop the number of dormant and sleeping seeds that show up as weeds (effectively. Down by quite a margin. And if I was really wacky ( which is open for discussion) you could through Clearfield in there every 4th time or something.

Comment

Oh and thank you shaun we is all experts....LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...