• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4-H Sales

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah weighing after the show plus a pencil shrink is highway robbery but what do you expect. Were going to weigh our calves going in just to see how much they shrink during the show. I don't think 4H kids should get rich but they sure shouldn't get taken either-last year they were starting calves a dime under the fat market-those businessmen bidding figured that was what they were worth. All the calves are delivered to the slaughter facilities FOB for the individuals that don't resell them.This year we joined our show with our rodeo week so going to have a parade of champions at the rodeo-the kid and their calves buyer.

Comment

The parade of champions sounds like an excellent way to give both the buyer and the 4-H members some exposure and may increase buyer interest next year.

The mindset here has always been to support young people involved in 4-H, and of course this being the hub of the oilfield service industry hasn't hurt .

The local farm supply dealers and veterinarians provide excellent support as do local grocery stores and the local Dodge dealer. The prices were fairly uniform from top to bottom of the sale order this year which I like to see. I hate to see one kid get an overly inflated price for their calf because DAD or GRANPA owns a big company and doesn't care how much they pay.

Comment

Yeah you sure had a good sale average-our local businesses do a good job of supporting 4H too-I'd think they'd do better if the local NB guys weren't such a bunch of deadbeats. Ourselves we A'I' any 4H heifers for free and put up jackets for showmanship-one year I had to give them to my kids lol-they sure never learnt that from me lol.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...