• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ccia - branding or tagging

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I am not sure of the logistics and cost feasability of getting back your own actual tag from the packers I think that a very good point has been made here in the fact that if these tags are recycleable or reusable there should be some sort of a concession put in place for the initial purchaser. Perhaps a rebate system or voucher towards further purchases could be implemented. I incourage you to present this to the board of the CCIA and to attend your fall ACC producer meeting in your area and present some sort of a workable process that they can take to the CCIA for consideration. I have the feeling that like any new indevor they would welcome any ideas that might make the system work better and be more usable to the producer.

Comment

I was reading some of the branding or tagging letters and I was wondering if anyone attended a CCIA meeting. One person wrote(Those of us who are tagging and know our herd is clean)should give his or her head a shake. The only way you will know if your herd is clean is to have them blood tested every year. If you have your cow herd blooded once and don't bring in any new unblooded livestock there wouldnt be a need for electronic tags. I attended a CCIA meeting in the spring and it was a joke. It was held in a very small room I guess they were hoping too many people wouldnt attend. There was a person from the CCIA,2 members of the CCA and a person representing Alflex. Here's how it went. The CCIA and the CCA members couldn't answer the question of who was the CCIA and who voted in leader of the CCIA. On the other hand the Alflex rep. was very well informed. We will have a bar code for cows and eventually anything being sold will have to have an electronic tag in, for the cost of about 10 dollars. The cost of selling cattle sure adds up. The best part I liked is that he's setting up a washing company that will wash your tags after they go through a processing plant and for only a dollar you can get your electronic tag back! If I owned the washing company I would be pushing the tag too. Feedlots will love this tag because they will be able to keep track of whose cattle do best. So if whoever supports this CCIA program all I will say is I sure hope you have top quality cattle. If any one thinks this is hogwash then ask an old hog producer why they quit. The money involved in this tag will be astounding. Sure wish I could have come up with such a money making scheme instead of the computer industry association.-

Comment

Well, I must say it is nice to see the comments about the tag
        system. My direct contact with producers in the last year, was let us
        say less polite then I have been reading here. We all know that any
        form of government keeps getting stronger and imposes their
        wisdom on the subjects. We also know that the industry views large
        producers in a different way then they view small producers. It is my
        opinion that firstly we all know that the tag system is here! I believe
        that as producers we stop looking at the negative side and see how
        we can use this to our own advantage. If we all know (or think we
        know) the hidden agenda, then we can easily beat them to the
        punch and design our own marketing structure, with our own