• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety around bulls

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I said I "train" them merely by being around them on a daily basis and observing. Learn how much pressure animals can take before they move away from you. Start with a cow out in the field if you don't have the experience. Lots of places on the internet where you can watch Bud Williams style low stress livestock handling demonstrations.
    I regularly load bulls into my stock trailer out in the pasture with 4 panels, a fence corner and some patience. It's a big time saver once you master it.

I grew up in Scotland and farmed there before moving to Alberta. We sold cattle occasionally at this auction in northern England as it was only 50 miles from us.

My Limo experience was all in the UK - can't speak for the Canadian variety. In the UK they were universally nuts. We had a quiet, gentle Limo bull and the calves were all lunatics, all runners and on occasion had yearling heifers and steers charge you if they were in a confined area.
    I think it comes from selection for extreme leanness as the Salers, Blondes etc were little better. Salers were worse actually.

On the Angus cows I've only had reds since I came to Canada and on the whole they have had decent temperament . Saying that the biggest wreck I was ever in was when I got steamrolled by a recently calved red Angus. Lucky to get out of that one alive. I don't really blame her - she came from a cowboy outfit that had a big range permit in bear, wolf and cougar country and wasn't used to people close up on foot.
    Other cows from that group were really quiet and gentle though so it wasn't all environmental.

Comment

Lol - time will shove the snake down the hole I hope
      We had 14 guys use it in canola and wheat with different rates - should have a ton of good data for this falls meeting - most will be 'third party numbers' and most of those guys will be there to discuss results .
      We will be following our data up with all tissue samples taken so far along with protein , disease and yeild .

Comment

We will have feedback from Turtleford, Whitkow, Cutknife , Wilkie, Maidstone and east out to Simonds plus the local area

Comment

That's exactly what I'll need to hear. Excited to hear the results. Like I said the science makes some sense but no/limited data to support it. How big of an area do you have rights to for the product?

Comment

Thanks grassfarmer! I will be sure to check out Bud Williams demo videos. Will let you know if I have any more specific questions after that.

That’s really neat about Scotland. What made you want to move to Alberta, Canada and raise cattle? And what is your set up like now? How many cows to you run? I am assuming you are cow-calf right?

Comment

Which Kugler products did you try?

They have a good rep in US and Europe...

Comment

We used 2075 at 6 Lt/ac at herbicide time in wheat and canola then 6 lt/ac 2075 at bolting in canola and 6 lt/ac of KQ-XRN with fungicide in wheat.
                We also tried 2 ltr/ac 2075 with Lance in canola .
                Going to try 1-2 lt/ac 2530 with r/up on some wheat

Comment

Sask can - everything in the north west from Maymont to Lloyd north to bush .
                  I am going to work with a guy from Turtleford for the farther north west area if results turn out good

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...