• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Safety around bulls

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone!

I agree with a lot of what many of you said.

Dad asked me to go into his pen to move his salt/mineral block from near his water. I am not too sure but I got the impression that he thought we were “playing” which as you all understand is dangerous. My dad loves this bull for his confirmation qualities, and isn’t ready to get rid of him because of the context of the situation. We have always been very cautious around our bulls, but this is the first time that there has been a real issue (accept after our barn fire) when all the cattle were rattled up.

The nature of bulls and cows are important. Safety triumphs all!

Comment

Not a passive gene, just training the same way you would a dog. This constant contact is what keeps them in their place in my opinion. I've had occasional customers buy our bulls, never go near them on foot just inspect them from a truck then they tell me the bull has gone bad and they can't get out of their truck without the bull getting mad. It's what they are acclimatized to - you've got to keep them trained to respect you.

Comment

When we buy feeders we can always tell who was born in the pasture, and also who came from a place where nobody ever got out of the tractor at chore time.

If steers can be goofy from not having enough contact, you can times it by ten for a bull. If your Dad isn't going to sell this bull, then some training is in order, whole he is still young.

Comment

"When we buy feeders we can always tell who was born in the pasture…"

That's easy they are the ones with the full length tails and ears, lol

Comment

Actually they tend to bounce off fences! Lol not everyone handles their cattle..

Comment

It really is about the handling, or lack of. Wildest cattle I ever saw arrived at an auction in England and the truck was literally rocking backing up to the pens. The auction must have known they were coming because they cleared everyone off the loading dock and alleys and when the truck door opened these thinks just came out like a rocket. Limo x bulls that looked like Spanish fighting bulls complete with big horns. They went down the alley and when they came to the first closed gate just "flowed" over it like water, some straight ahead, some into the side pens that already had cattle in them. I heard by the time they had them all sorted out and sold there was one bull with a broken leg and the owner had his hand gored by a horn. It was ridiculous they should never have been brought to an auction.

These cattle had been in a slatted floor shed being fed on a daily basis. How do you get your cattle that wild?

Comment

Where the heck were all the chem reps at the customer appreciation? I wanted to talk to a couple there

Comment

Actually I am unhappy with my centurion plus one third pusuit. Grass controle was very poor. Good thing not much grass pressure.

Comment

Simple answer GF, use Limo blood. Nothing adds a little leg and a little speed like a Limo.

And now I'll wait for the Limo gal to chime in...

Comment

I'm familier with Limo wild 15444, this was way beyond normal lunatic Limo wild, I've never seen anything like that performance, it was crazy - and frightening.

Comment

Paul from Nufarm was there - 1st time in 10 years no one from BASF though - lol
                        What were thoughts on tour sask can ??

Comment

grassfarmer - I get what you are saying but how do you train a bull? Does it have to be done when they are young? What training tactics can you do to get them to respect you and still be safe?

Btw that’s nuts about your experience in England. Just curious, what were you there for?

15444 Who is our Limo gal on here (remember I am a newbie to this chat forum) ;-)

Comment

Could be me. We use Limo bulls on our Char heifers. We don't find them any different from other cattle, disposition wise. I think the breeders have worked hard on getting the trait out of the breed, and it's more of a stereotype than anything else.

Now, let's have a discussion about Angus cows. Lol. We've ended up with a few over the years, and have yet to come across one we would go into a pen with when she calved. Not sure if it's just the luck of the draw or not. We have never kept any daughters, so can't say if it's genetic. We will not be buying any more of them. Getting too old for the drama.

There's an Angus heifer out in the feedlot right now, come to think about it, who likes to think she can take on my German Shepherd. 92 run away, and 1 comes for the dog. We bought this sweetie this spring, and the feedlot is the proper place for her.

Let the bickering begin! Lol.

Comment

Bingo!

Now I know who Limo gal is ;-)

This could get fun!

Comment

It was all good. Always some good information and good networking to be had. I'm still calling kugler a "snake oil" until I see some true third party out of arms length data. Thou the science behind it may have some merit.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...