• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finally som cow sense

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finally som cow sense

NCBA calls for trade sanctions on Japan

by Pete Hisey on 6/15/2006 for Meatingplace.com

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association's executive committee voted unanimously Wednesday to support retaliatory trade sanctions on Japan if it does not resume beef trade immediately.

The committee also voted to support legislation introduced by Sen. Ben Nelson (D-Neb.) to ban imports of Japanese beef until Japan accepts U.S. exports.

Mike Johns, president of NCBA, said that while the association has always supported negotiations over retaliation, the delays have become too ingrained. "The last thing we want is a trade war," he said, "but at some point you just have to say 'enough is enough.'"

"This is about more than just beef," he continued. "This is about the United States being productive and not settling for being a consumer nation. To do that, we must demand that our products are given fair treatment on the world market, and we are calling for immediate retaliatory measures if the border remains shut."

Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi is due in Washington in two weeks to discuss beef trade, among other issues.

cow sense? it's maybe good for Canada - why do the yanks never learn that bullying customer countries like Japan won't work. How much hormone treated beef are they selling in Europe after many years of threats?

Comment

Wake up and smell the roses gf - trade action should have taken place a long long time ago.

Comment

Are they demanding all beef trade resumptions or just under twenty? months?

With all due respect, I would not trust any assurances on their old cow beef either.

Comment

The "who is afraid of big bad wolf" tactics won't work with Japan the same as their hormone nonsense didn't work with Europe. The joke will be on them if they do eventually manage to force their way into the Japanese market as the consumers will not buy US beef. Japanese consumption of beef has fallen significantly since BSE and they will not buy foreign stuff from a country they don't trust.

Comment

Trade tactics would work with JA - Pan company if we turned their boat loads of cars and tv's around at the dock in Vancouver and sent them home. They would sit up to the table real fast.

Comment

That's rather an over simplification of the issue isn't it? Making out that the US don't need Japanese goods but they need US beef. The Japanese may need to import some beef - but they don't need to import it from any country that has had a case of BSE. The US also needs the continued financial backing of Japan, China and many others to support their trillion dollar deficit so they can't rock the boat too hard. Personally I'm on side with the Japanese on this one and would much prefer that Canadian beef fills the place of US beef in Japan. I feel no particular sympathy with US beef producers, packers or Government after the way they have behaved over the last few years.

Comment

i agree wholeheartedly with grassfarmer. the americans are in a time of transition when the rest of the world is realizing the americans need the rest of the world at least as much as the world needs america. it isn't going to be like the last fifty years when the states called all the shots. you can see it over the last few years as old europe told bush to take a leap and now japan and korea are saying this will happen on their terms. we need to quit looking south so much and diversify all our markets because things are changing and we need to find new partners.

Comment

It didn't work when we tried to force the Europeans to take beef that was not certified hormone/antibiotic free- even after 10 years and winning a WTO ruling, they still aren't taking it....

The US needs to start supplying the consumer with what the consumer asks for- not what Tyson/Cargil want to give them...

USDA's backing of the Cargil/Tyson Multinationals over Creekstone and some of the smaller packers request to test and Japan/Koreas request to be able to decide which plants they want to buy from is asinine-- and it may mean that little beef goes to Asia from either the US or Canada for years...

Comment

R-CALF making more sense than NCBA, that's scary!

Comment

I wonder if in fact the USDA and CFIA, banned tommorrow the use of anti-biotics and hormones...would the EU accept our beef? I doubt it? Isn't most of this garbage really about protecting their own interests?
                      I wonder if the same would hold true for Japan and Korea? We test and they still won't let it in?
                      I am beginning to suspect the best plan would be to limit production to domestic markets and forget about trying to sell product to countries that obviously don't want it? Sell them the things they want and need and limit the things they can sell here?
                      Do we really need a bunch of junk from asia?

Comment

The EU has imported hormone and anti-biotic free beef from Canada through the likes of Highland Beef's program so it isn't just a pretence.

Comment

I wonder grassfarmer, does the EU need our beef? Are they self sufficient in beef?

Comment

grassfarmer quote "The EU has imported hormone and anti-biotic free beef from Canada through the likes of Highland Beef's program so it isn't just a pretence."

Same down here in the states grassfarmer--Some EU countries have purchased some of the certified all natural from US plants- I know during the Olympics, Greece took a large amount of it from a South Dakota plant, I believe.....But since it is considered a specialty item it is pricey....

Interesting to note- down here in watching the video auctions and talking with the buyers- most are now wanting signed affidavits verifying no implants, no hormones, no antibiotics and are paying top prices for them....

Also- except for the border issue grassfarmer, I think R-CALF's policies are pretty much in step with what many Canadian producers feel...And the border issue could easily be taken care of with USDA implementing of the M-COOL law...Something I think you will see Canadians screaming for upon the entry of Brazil, Argentina etal into the Canadian market......

Comment

Cowman, they are nothing like self sufficient in beef now in Europe. But that was the plan, ably assisted by the likes of the UK Government, run down the home industry and increase imports. Fats are selling dear in the UK now - about $1.05/lb equivilant. Does that make 86cent Canadian fats attractive? I don't know the shipping costs but the preference seems to be for cheaper, and lower grade South American beef.
                              The NFU in Scotland pulled some branded "Scotch Aberdeen Angus" steaks of the shelf in Tesco superemarket a few months back and got them DNA tested, revealing the marker gene that only exists in Bos Indicus cattle! I can safely say that Brahma aren't big in Britain and that stuff probably came from South America. Not only in Canada do you have pirates in the beef production chain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...