• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

finally som cow sense

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willowcreek: I thought MCOOL was dead in the water? Personally I don't think it is a good idea to make it mandatory? If you want to put a label on it "product of the USA" what is stopping you now?
    I have no problem with a label saying "Alberta beef" as long as that is what it is! Check out grassfarmers post above about the "Scottish Angus" beef!
    I suspect MCOOL would be incredibly expensive? Someone would have to pay the bill, whether the consumer or the rancher...it wouldn't be the packer, feedlot or retailer?
    And consider this scenario: Montana calves, custom fed in an Alberta lot(maybe with American corn), slaughtered at an American owned plant in Canada and shipped to an American super market? Would you say that might qualify as "Product of the USA"? Especially if the rancher/owner was an R-CALF member? Be careful what you wish for!

Comment

cowman-"And consider this scenario: Montana calves, custom fed in an Alberta lot(maybe with American corn), slaughtered at an American owned plant in Canada and shipped to an American super market? Would you say that might qualify as "Product of the USA"? Especially if the rancher/owner was an R-CALF member? Be careful what you wish for! "

Actually cowman- under the law that passed Congress and the law enacted in Montana they would not be allowed to be marked "Product of USA"...And that part of the rule is easily taken care of with the USDA requirement that any livestock entering the US for reslaughter be tagged and hot iron branded with the C rafter N... Anything wishing to recieve "Product of USA" labeling would need to be born, raised, and slaughtered in the US under the law...
      I really think in a few years when Bush/Martin/Fox get their NAFTA super highway built from Mexico thru the States into Canada, so beef products can freely come in from South America, Canadian producers will be wishing they had a COOL in effect...

Comment

cowman- Your a person that seems to like to keep themselves informed.. Go to this website link and do some research..
        http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=15497

Where you aware this was still in the making?

Then look at the money Cargil/Tyson/Monsanto etal have been pouring into South America and tell me the writing isn't on the wall for cheap Ag products (beef) to be fasttracked north....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...