• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef tongue

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef tongue

Anyone eat it? Any cooking tips? Took my steer in and got butcher to keep tongue as I have never had before. Finding lots of online recipes, but figured you all are better than google.

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    Anyone eat it? Any cooking tips? Took my steer in and got butcher to keep tongue as I have never had before. Finding lots of online recipes, but figured you all are better than google.
    If I remember correctly our hired man would boil it first then you peel it and possibly roast after. It’s been years but remember it tasted good. My dags get it now. Fun watching them it eat.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
      If I remember correctly our hired man would boil it first then you peel it and possibly roast after. It’s been years but remember it tasted good. My dags get it now. Fun watching them it eat.
      Yeah I’m half done boiling it. I’m hoping to try tacos and a sort of stroganoff style saucy meal too. Been curious my whole life. It’s a bit disturbing to be frank, but I’ll deal.

Comment

Remember having a few times as kids , long time ago but im sure mom boiled ,pealed , and sliced it cold and we had it cold with salad etc

Comment

Yeah I just peeled it. Outer skin comes off easy. But there is still a sort of rubbery exterior. Other than that, after slicing it looks like normal roast beef. It’s very tender and is actually pretty good. Took a while to put the first chunk in my mouth. It’s decent considering there was only bay leaves, pepper corns, and some allspice in the water as it boiled. It’s not like the tongue is a thin little strip that the spices can fully penetrate. I mean, what boiled meat is good really?

It’s just one of those things I had to know. I’m making a sort of stroganoff dish tonight and tomorrow will try some in tacos. With seasonings it will be very good I figure.

Comment

Yeah I just peeled it. Outer skin comes off easy. But there is still a sort of rubbery exterior. Other than that, after slicing it looks like normal roast beef. It’s very tender and is actually pretty good. Took a while to put the first chunk in my mouth. It’s decent considering there was only bay leaves, pepper corns, and some allspice in the water as it boiled. It’s not like the tongue is a thin little strip that the spices can fully penetrate. I mean, what boiled meat is good really?

It’s just one of those things I had to know. I’m making a sort of stroganoff dish tonight and tomorrow will try some in tacos. With seasonings it will be very good I figure.
            Go to Cookinpellets.com There is a real good tongue recepie there. Takes a little work but turns out good. Never made it myself YET but tasted it before

Comment

Originally posted by AllisWD45 View Post
              Go to Cookinpellets.com There is a real good tongue recepie there. Takes a little work but turns out good. Never made it myself YET but tasted it before
              Forgot to mention you should try Barbacoa (beef cheeks). Nothing better than that in tacos.

Comment

Originally posted by AllisWD45 View Post
                Forgot to mention you should try Barbacoa (beef cheeks). Nothing better than that in tacos.
                Next time! Oxtail too?

Comment

Moose tongue real good too.

Comment

theres a restuarant in big smoke that apparently serves offal based meals and toungue brain liver etc only

does roaring trade they say

pay $45 for steak versus offal meal will take the steak any day

ossobucco in slow cooker one of my favourite feeds and or lamb shanks

dog food 20 years ago

used to eat plenty of liver as a kid freid with bacon.

mum and dad used to eat the chicken giblets not for me that one

Comment

A butchery here sells the tongues for 29.99 a piece. Over ten buck a lb.

I’ll let you know in a few hours how the stroganoff turns out. Haha

Comment

A butchery here sells the tongues for 29.99 a piece. Over ten buck a lb.

I’ll let you know in a few hours how the stroganoff turns out. Haha
                        Well I won’t be tossing out tongues any more. It was actually very very good. My kids ate it, as it was all that I made along with rice for supper. There is a definite mental challenge. But it was just another meat to them all. Very tender. Very moist. Very flavourful in a good way. 2 lbs and two meals worth for our home of six ppl.

Thanks for engaging…

Comment

I would just leave them in the pile with the rest of the guts

Comment

chocolate mutton chocolate lamb latest fad dried still skin is brown or chocolate

Farmers and researchers believe mutton could be the next big thing in food, thanks to a dry-ageing process that brings out complex flavours and makes the meat tender and juicy.

Popularity of dry aged meat is increasing, nearly all of the meat available is beef. Can other meat gain the same benefits from dry aging? Let's talk lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
                              chocolate mutton chocolate lamb latest fad dried still skin is brown or chocolate

Farmers and researchers believe mutton could be the next big thing in food, thanks to a dry-ageing process that brings out complex flavours and makes the meat tender and juicy.

https://dryager.com.au/dry-aged-lamb/
                              Thanks! Interesting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...