• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morris 9 series air cart gremlin

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morris 9 series air cart gremlin

this has been happening for 5 years since we got this new tank . Morris came out 2 years in a row and tore it all apart . could find nothing wrong .it does it mostly in canary seed , sometimes a little in oats. we are pulling it with an STX 440 , not real big volume hydraulics . we also put 3/4" couplers on tractor , fan hoses are 3/4" already .its a 55' maxim 2 drill with small wings (90") . thats the only place it does it is on those 2 wings? morris did put restrictors on the other pipes . so this year i ran fan a lot faster, opened seed dampener wide open and its the worst its ever been ? t never done it with the previous 8 series tank , same drill, same tractor ? the pipes have never plugged , nor do i see fan speed changing on monitor ?
    im baffled? anyone ever saw this before?
    Last edited by Guest; Jun 22, 2022, 13:36.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8AC13880-B4D7-4D47-9A20-88161F9CAECD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	773469Click image for larger version

Name:	D4949C22-62FA-4A45-B1CA-E8C972B0687D.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	773470Click image for larger version

Name:	FA16E48A-B437-4333-A53C-2DAF6C3E124C.jpg
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	773471

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      this has been happening for 5 years since we got this new tank . Morris came out 2 years in a row and tore it all apart . could find nothing wrong .it does it mostly in canary seed , sometimes a little in oats. we are pulling it with an STX 440 , not real big volume hydraulics . we also put 3/4" couplers on tractor , fan hoses are 3/4" already .its a 55' maxim 2 drill with small wings (90") . thats the only place it does it is on those 2 wings? morris did put restrictors on the other pipes . so this year i ran fan a lot faster, opened seed dampener wide open and its the worst its ever been ? t never done it with the previous 8 series tank , same drill, same tractor ? the pipes have never plugged , nor do i see fan speed changing on monitor ?
      Only thing I can think of if the fan is putting out is if there is a restriction in the manifold. It would likely have to be ahead f the distributor. Garbage of some sort or a build up of fert. Unless there is a build up just after the meter

Comment

Only thing I can think of if the fan is putting out is if there is a restriction in the manifold. It would likely have to be ahead f the distributor. Garbage of some sort or a build up of fert. Unless there is a build up just after the meter

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
          Have had all pipes off
          New manifolds and hoses

Comment

I have had similar issues with my 1910jd cart.

The issues are very likely caused by uneven positive air pressure inside the tank hopper above the meter.

John Deere now has individual valves and gauges for each individual tank. There are also now sensors that if positive air pressure drops below a specified preset value… a warning is triggered in the cab, pressures can be monitored for each seed tank on the cab monitor.

My biggest problem had been with peas.

On our 1900jd air carts they had skips like yours in wheat and barley as well… until the revised air systems provided more consistent air pressures.

I now have 2 huge fans with 4” manifolds under the meters… stainless steel… and always run the hydraulics at maximum flow 3/4” fan hoses. RPM is different it is the sag in fan RPM that kills feeding in the meter.

On the JD tractors… any hydraulic outlet not specifically being used must be turned to minimum flow. I am told the outlets are on standby hogging capacity even when not actually using oil flow.

I see also steering has priority over every other hydraulic function… so it is most often steering that robs the fans starting a new pass.

My tractor has two hydraulic pumps and the biggest hydraulic pump in on the seeding tool lift… it always hogs the most oil when lifting and lowering at headlands. Watching fan RPM drop 20% as the seeding tool lowers into the ground is annoying.

Running full engine RPM and shutting off hydraulic outlets not demanding oil like wing lifts for transport and accumulator charge circuits also has helped the fan sag to be less.

Check the specs with your manufacturer on the minimum and maximum positive internal tank hopper air pressures and find a way to monitor these especially at headlands when the seeding tool is raised or lowered.

Hope this gives some clues… we had one 787JD tank that the Flexicoil service guy actually rode in the seed tank seeding… and found a leaking seam inside the tank that caused these problems with insufficient positive air pressure inside the seed tank.

All the Best!
            Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jun 22, 2022, 16:56.

Comment

thanks tom
              thats a lot of info
              but strange it only does it two outside wings?

Comment

[ATTACH]10674[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10675[/ATTACH][ATTACH]10676[/ATTACH]
                That is very funky. Never seen anything like that before

Comment

Can you switch air hoses at the cart to see if problem is at cart or on seed tool ?

Comment

Meter roll wore out on shaft?

Comment

thanks tom
                      thats a lot of info
                      but strange it only does it two outside wings?
                      Was the same on our seeder...

From manual:

"Air Leaks
                      It is imperative that no air leaks occur in the air cart tank as even the smallest air leak from the lid will lead to material bridging in the tank thereby causing misses in the field.
                      Check the following areas for air leaks: - Tank clean-out door
                      - Metering body assembly seals
                      - Collector assembly seals
                      - Tank lid"
                      Morris manual Page-5-76 September 2016
                      9 Series ICT Air Cart

Comment

But why only on two of the seven manifolds ?
                        The outsides

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                          Was the same on our seeder...

From manual:

"Air Leaks
                          It is imperative that no air leaks occur in the air cart tank as even the smallest air leak from the lid will lead to material bridging in the tank thereby causing misses in the field.
                          Check the following areas for air leaks: - Tank clean-out door
                          - Metering body assembly seals
                          - Collector assembly seals
                          - Tank lid"
                          Morris manual Page-5-76 September 2016
                          9 Series ICT Air Cart
                          https://www.morris-industries.com/wp...N56600-01A.pdf
                          "• Check periodically and at the end of each season for air leaks in the following areas:
                          1.Tank lid seals.
                          2.Metering body shaft seals.
                          3.Metering body to tank seals.
                          4.Collector to metering body seals.
                          5.Fan to plenum.
                          6.Plenum to collector.
                          7.Inspection doors, for leaks and loss of seal memory.
                          8.Collector door seals.
                          9.Couplers between air cart and seeding tool. 10. Access doors on divider heads.
                          Note: Theremustnotbeanyairleaksfromthetank. This air leakage causes air turbulence in the tank which can result in inaccurate metering rates."9 Series ICT Air Cart July 2016
                          6-7
                          "Material not being accurately metered out of the metering body-Meterbody pressurization hose-Reconnect hose to meterbody/plenum disconnected."
                          8-4
                          July 2016
                          9 Series ICT Air Cart

We are reminded continually to insure these hoses are not plugged on our JD tanks... and that they deliver correct pressure. Morris seems not to have put monitoring of positive tank pressure as a priority. This was always the actual issue causing momentary or quarter pass skipping on just some outer sections of our seeding tool.

Cheers

P.S. outer wings have longer distances for air/seed to travel... therefore tend to be the first to have seed not feed into the meter on the tank. Possible more back pressure in these runs... causing seed flow down to be restricted.
                          Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jun 22, 2022, 22:36.

Comment

Thanks again tom

Comment

Not sure how Morris puts the equalization air into the tanks, but if it is at the outside of the meters it might be like Tom said and affecting the outside meters more than the rest. Too much incoming equalization air might suspend the seed on those meters only.

If there are multiple incoming spots for equalization air, perhaps one of the higher locations is plugged.

The Deere 1910 cart I had was always plugging the pressurization hoses with fine dust. Big enough issue that I sold it and switched brands.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...