Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!  

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 22, 2020 | 06:51 1 Well, all the custom work is done for our friends and neighbours. Only one guy still has crop out and he is Crop insurances, favourite farmer. Seeds right up to the 25th of June.

Nice to be able to get fields harrowed up and ruts from past years worked. We did try a new machine out this past week from MANDAKO and really like it you can adjust the blades it has harrows plus a basket so sort of three machines in one. Did price it out still thinking but it has a place for guys who have been direct seeding for 35 years or more.

No juice is going down in our area but it never really does happen. No one floating anything yet. The odd guy putting granular chemical down.

Rock picking is happening and yes the landscapers are out and the cats are starting to shake the trees. For our area, this is the first fall since probably 2006 we have had time to do fall work.

Most fields are back to end to end. ah, fun farming again just wish it would rain a bit.

Oh, it did snow on Tuesday and Wed and ground is getting colder. Not a nice wet heavy snow so really did nothing for moisture. Its snow.

The seed for 2020 canola is ordered, Funny big companies dropped some programs so its just a flat seed price. Cheaper yes but still too much money. I think we're going to all direct cut or pod shatter and we will still swath half or more.

All of you know that I love my AC Brandon since we got it way way back when it has always proven to take our yields to the next level. Yes, you have to give it some nice ingredients but it will always surprise you. Well, this year we grew Alida to replace AC Brandon. It struggled at the beginning since we were dry for a bit till first rain. We had a week later seeded Brandon beside it. Yes, 7 days did make a difference that I realize. So to make a long story shorter we will seed 1/3 of the farms Wheat to Alida in 2021 but still have 2/3 AC Brandon.

Now there are two new Wheat Varieties that are available for 2021 and we like Starbucks vs Wheatland. I have got my order in for Starbucks and it will be seeded on 320 Acres in 2021. It is short like Brandon and if your in an area that loves to grow straw its a plus. Sprouting isn't a problem and its rated real good for Fusarium. Plus Midge tolerant. So like all new shit throw the dice and hope it works.

Barley is moving off the farm at a record pace for malt if you cant get malt sell to feedlots they are paying real nice.

Canola down a bit this morning it's taking a breather. Brazil will import soy for its crushers this year as China has cleaned them out. So when the elevators phone and say we have an 11 special say **** off.

HRS min is up again and almost at $6.00 USA or $7.90 Canadian. Don't let them tell you 6 Canadian is a good deal they are lying and it would sure be nice if we could actually see sales out of Canada and price they got then we could trace back to Saskatchewan. Funny other countries can do that but Canada cant.

Ok, We are in the most boring Sask election ever. Ryan showed up on a bus as the only rider for a press conference. So that kind of hit home for most as always STC had a huge bus with two people on it.

Moe got caught buying a coat at cow town and wasn't wearing a mask.

**** me this is a boring election. Go vote because then you are allowed to complain if you don't you're a Moron.

USA election is on and well I'm still thinking its a trump landslide but maybe the USA is turning into like Canada Pick the most useless Fool and nobody really cares. So will be interesting.

In Canada, we have the Trudeau Crime Family Running Canada. Sad part this puppet is too stupid to be running the country so the scary part, who is pulling his strings. Maybe he will do a debt swap for all your sole. I like freedom and well I guess if the Communists do take over Canada we know who will be shot first.

Its really sad that the NDP who are broke, ok let's call it what it is flat ass broke the JAG is not working to gain votes, if an election were called I don't think they would get one seat. The Block knows Trudeau is a crook and will gain. I am starting to think Skippy's handlers have realized his five min is up and they will try to get an election and try to lose so he can get out of dodge and get to some island that has no extradition to Canada for his crimes.

Well for our final crop report of the year.

Rain is needed badly as the gas tank is empty. Fall work is getting done and that's fun. Very little land changing just between families and one big sale. Yields were down from 2019 by a bit and Canola just can't take 28 plus days with zero moisture and lots of wind. So the biggest crop in 5 years is a total ****ing joke. Sask Wide its an average call it what it is.

Till next spring take care and be safe.

I wish I could fly out of here today or even drive and head to my southern home.

Happy trails. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Oct 22, 2020 | 07:08 2 I would be surprised if canola was even anywhere near average ? Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 22, 2020 | 07:35 3 When the Big dog's yields are just at 50 and all the trials only have one area at 60 some, I think canola is below by a mile. Our area canola is anywhere from below 25 to maybe 47 at the top end.
    Last edited by SASKFARMER; Oct 22, 2020 at 07:39.
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 22, 2020 | 07:40 4 .37 cents an LB Anhydrous plus delivery. Fert is flat don't let them tell you its up they are full of shit. Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 08:05 5 It’s froze up here , NH3 season was like 8 days between too warm and ground freeze .
    Lots of floating going on , N and lots of bio sul in area now . Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 08:41 6 Our NH3 done. Ground still not frozen and it is very dry. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Oct 22, 2020 | 09:11 7 Done dry N+S, ground in some fields driest I have ever seen here. Others normal, inches of rain difference in a few miles! Lots of landscaping, I hear Quill Lakes are down to where the Grid to Wynyard is visible. Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 22, 2020 | 10:53 8 Ah transition time of year.

Enjoying the time outside.

So if we’re all stuck her who else is getting
    new sleds. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Oct 22, 2020 | 11:38 9
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Ah transition time of year.

new sleds.
    Piss on it
    Think i will go to honduras
    Like my water to be fluid
    Wanna come chuck ? Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 11:43 10
    Quote Originally Posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    Ah transition time of year.

new sleds.
    I will run my tricked out Harley Cat another year and build an ice shack ... no weekend sports for kids so will be catching and frying up fish I guess Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 12:49 11 Window is closing for field work so I guess it’s time to go knock down some trees. Yes I know I am a bad man 😎 Reply With Quote

• Oct 22, 2020 | 12:53 12 us too Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 13:32 13
    Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    Window is closing for field work so I guess it’s time to go knock down some trees.
    Whats with the unused hopper bottoms seldom? Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 13:39 14
    Window is closing for field work so I guess it’s time to go knock down some trees. Yes I know I am a bad man 😎
    Me three. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Oct 22, 2020 | 13:42 15 Is that a 7G? The air cleaner and exhaust look the same as mine. Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 13:47 16 I might even do something more sinister and maintain my water runs. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Oct 22, 2020 | 18:10 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterjade9 View Post
    Is that a 7G? The air cleaner and exhaust look the same as mine.
    Yes 1978 D7G Reply With Quote
    makar's Avatar Oct 22, 2020 | 18:15 18
    Yes 1978 D7G
    Made a lot of miles in god knows where in them. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Oct 22, 2020 | 18:19 19
    Quote Originally Posted by jazz View Post
    Whats with the unused hopper bottoms seldom?
    Hopper bottoms are for four flat bottoms that are filled with low falling number wheat that I did not sell last year because the price was so ugly. Have a left over bag of that same stuff. Price looks way better now so will sell this winter. Just one of the benefits of not having to contract with the government wheat board last October and get basically nothing. Thanks To Stephen Harper and crew! Reply With Quote

• Oct 22, 2020 | 18:35 20
    Hopper bottoms are for four flat bottoms that are filled with low falling number wheat that I did not sell last year because the price was so ugly. Have a left over bag of that same stuff. Price looks way better now so will sell this winter. Just one of the benefits of not having to contract with the government wheat board last October and get basically nothing. Thanks To Stephen Harper and crew!
    hauled a couple loads of last years wheat carry over
    asked if it looked any better than last year , he just laughed and said it looks good
    got fuz now but sprouts are gone lol Reply With Quote

• Oct 22, 2020 | 18:58 21
    Quote Originally Posted by makar View Post
    Made a lot of miles in god knows where in them.
    What were you doing Makar? Building leases or cutting seismic lines? Reply With Quote
    Oct 22, 2020 | 20:04 22 Saskfarmer, I know it depends on the angle of the discs, but how deep were you able to cut with that Twister and maintain a decent enough sped for the harrows and baskets to do a good job? Reply With Quote
    SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 23, 2020 | 07:01 23 7 Deg worked the best and it levelled sprayer ruts with one pass. 0 and it took two.

at 14 I broke up 60 plus pasture and it took three times in three different angles but you could seed next spring.

The salfour is like a 0 Deg setting and it has a place that works for cattails and thick straw. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 23, 2020 | 11:36 24 Looks sure like the Cat work will begin Monday as light snow last night at the farm is the end of the road for fieldwork. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Oct 23, 2020 | 12:44 25 330 Case Turbo disc a total bust here this year. Wouldn't cut lodged straw.
    Cant throw old slough even when it cuts it. All it does really well is break blades.
    Any comparisons to Pro Till out there?? Reply With Quote
    GDR
    Oct 24, 2020 | 08:36 26
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    330 Case Turbo disc a total bust here this year. Wouldn't cut lodged straw.
    Cant throw old slough even when it cuts it. All it does really well is break blades.
    Any comparisons to Pro Till out there??
    I had some unharvested peas to work in this spring. Tried a 330 turbo till, it just rode over the top and could hardly see where you went. My old tandem disc worked but wanted to plug. I ended up buying a disc harrow machine, made it black and chopped up the first pass, but went over twice before seeding. Protills are pretty pricey so I bought a farmet softer. Not sure it's the perfect machine but seems to do good with heavy trash. Reply With Quote
    makar's Avatar Oct 24, 2020 | 09:21 27
    What were you doing Makar? Building leases or cutting seismic lines?
    lease work was close to home, most winters spent on seismic up Alaska highway or zama, never saw the wife much till spring. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 24, 2020 | 12:21 28 Light snow or trying to snow all way to Moosejaw as today we are doing a staycation in Sask. Yea I would be leaving for Florida next Saturday if the border would open. Home in three days. Sure miss not going I don't like winter. But if we're stuck here may as well enjoy it. Wood getting cut for sled shack and sleds arriving next week. Ah, fun times, Not would be more fun on a pontoon on some lake down south. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Oct 24, 2020 | 12:57 29 I didn’t know that they closed the border at 40,000 feet. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Oct 24, 2020 | 13:03 30
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    330 Case Turbo disc a total bust here this year. Wouldn't cut lodged straw.
    Any comparisons to Pro Till out there??
    We ended up selling our 330 , had it 7 years I think .
    I thought most times it worked well but had more than enough broken blades over the years . Not a fun job to change .
    Never had to run it much though in very dry hard conditions. Leaves a good field finish most times even with limited moisture.
    Used both the 330 and a pro till for a few years , rented a pro till a few falls .
    Pro till is hands down better , but they were over double the price when we bought out 330
    We just used an old Allis tandem disc then used our Gates coulter this fall . Worked well but , and a big but , we had some soil moisture here so not the same conditions as most on here .
    The thing is even the new coulter harrows are getting way too expensive now as well .
    Schulte coulter harrow looks impressive and much more aggressive than the Gates . But we like the Gates for leaving a good 60 % of the stubble in place for general harrow work and still making the soil tilled slightly. A 5 row harrow would be better than the 4 we have for better straw spread but that needs to be done with combine anyway to be really effective.
    I still think the gates is our most useful tool here, can work low areas if you hit em twice and can harrow in conditions that no other harrow is effective like pea stubble in tough morning and damp conditions.
    Can cover big acres at 13-14 mph and be still be used effectively in most low areas
    But if you need more aggressive tillage in low areas and grassy sloughs ... degelman is hands down unbeatable in most cases and leaves the best field finish .
    If you ever watch a Gates coulter harrow working in action , you will see how effective it can be in way more situations than just a heavy harrow.
    Leaves pea stubble near perfect for seeding the next spring , even in damp conditions.
    Would love to replace the old Allis disc with a pro till but just not practical for our farm at this time .
    Sorry for the long post on a relatively short answer lol .
    Pro till is way more effective than a 330 in most conditions, especially real dry , hard soil and real wet soils.
    If your looking for real aggressive soil tillage and spreading straw simultaneously the Schulte is better than the Gates . Reply With Quote