• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herbicide Resistance

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotating crops, and herbicide modes of action.
    Having a healthy heavy competitive crop.
    Using some pre-emerge herbicides.
    Quit relying on the same chemistry.
    Maybe perennial forages(yuk)
    Mowing?
    Targeted tillage(gasp)
    Selling the land....lol.
    Giving up rented land....lol.
    Renting your land out.

Comment

Bucket made a real good comment to me.

"I can afford any herbicide, I can't afford for it not to work.

A perfect example of those are Edge/Avadex or surface applied Authority and such.

The cost of the risk of those products not working makes them too expensive, EVEN WHEN THEY DO WORK!!!

Does it pay for ChemCo' s to price their product out of the market. In doing so THEY are in essence contributing to Producer's problems. But why would they care?
      Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 26, 2020, 08:43.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
        Bucket made a real good comment to me.

"I can afford any herbicide, I can't afford for it not to work.

A perfect example of those are Edge/Avadex or surface applied Authority and such.

The cost of the risk of those products not working makes them too expensive, EVEN WHEN THEY DO WORK!!!

Does it pay for ChwmCo's to price their product out of the market. In doing So THEY are in essence contributing to Producer's problems. But what do they care?
        Very good point

Comment

We have a plethora of unemployed people sitting at home being paid by our tax dollars to smoke weed. How about we send them out to pick resistant weeds instead? Or invasive weeds, or weeds in sensitive areas. With the ultimate goal of eliminating some problem weeds entirely.

Looks like this situation will last for years, especially if universal basic income becomes reality, here is a noble cause that will take years to complete.
          Hand rogueing weeds has to be a better use of their time than rioting, looting or trolling forums.
          Maybe we can all become organic in the process.

Comment

Wild oats the worst here for sure.
            Rainfall patterns along with higher trash. Multiple growth stages. I dunno. Yes we have some 1-2 resistance.
            Last year you could see a line where I spot sprayed 20 years ago LoL.
            Using more pre emergent.
            Have one field I'm going to deep till for a few reasons.
            A farming thread,. Awesome.

Comment

Back in the later 80's we went away from Treflan because of resistant wild millet. I remember when Odyssey came out, it killed kochia for a few years in peas. Herbicide resistance is manageable on most farms as long as good practices are used and have a diverse rotation. We didnt have soybeans this year but I miss them because they are a great crop to clean up the land, almost like a summer fallow, we planted flax this year for the first time in years and the crop type and the herbicide combinations used are a great change to the usual products. Monocultures will wreak havoc on the land IMO because there is just not enough diversity. Weeds and disease adapts. We actually started using some Treflan in recent years, not needing the millet control but treflan works on some other weeds like Japanese brome.

Comment

cultivator works wonders on chemical resistant weeds...

Comment

Once you have resistant weeds they will always be there due to the seed bank ( the seeds they drop for the next 10 years to germinate and regrow).

A one off cultivation or different crop type doesn’t eliminate resistant weeds, ( but it helps, just like normal good farming practices, clean fields, etc)

Comment

On a similar vein, anyone have any solutions for agricultural topic resistance in certain posters? Or common sense resistance? Or polite, tolerant discource resistance?

It is an ongoing problem on this forum. The best defense I have seen is to use thread titles that are purely agricultural, such as this one.

That helps to manage the problem, but doesn't control it. Any better methods?

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                      Once you have resistant weeds they will always be there due to the seed bank ( the seeds they drop for the next 10 years to germinate and regrow).

A one off cultivation or different crop type doesn’t eliminate resistant weeds, ( but it helps, just like normal good farming practices, clean fields, etc)
                      Dunno if ya read my post mate, that longbheld theory is being challenged here.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                        Dunno if ya read my post mate, that longbheld theory is being challenged here.
                        Can't imagine leaving a field go to kochia to graze. We don't have an option for that anyway. No more livestock. Cows generally aren't great kochia eaters. Not sure about sheep but that would have the neighbors talking.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          Tweety. If you would have seen what I saw the two past springs I doubt you would think tillage is a real good option.

Forages would be better than tillage.

Or only targeted pin point tillage.

But wide scale recreational tillage is dynamite under some circumstances in some areas.

I've even seen wild oats worse in tilled areas than untilled, you could see the line difference. Buried every wild oat that was laying on the surface then he had a carpet of it.

Tillage might be part of the solution but it is no replacement for an integrated program in my opinion.....not here anyway.
                          Completely agree. Tillage is also a difficult option in crop, its why selective herbicides are pretty much the only option - and why the resistance problems.

There is another scheme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CX2adzhoM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CX2adzhoM

Comment

Was looking at Avedex , but at $25/ac that option absolutely will never work
                            Lol 35 year old chemistry for $25 / ac , WTF is wrong with this industry

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Was looking at Avedex , but at $25/ac that option absolutely will never work
                              Lol 35 year old chemistry for $25 / ac , WTF is wrong with this industry
                              If you want it to work, you have to apply it on a Sunday when the sun is rising in the west and setting in the east and chant "long live Gowan" while swinging a dead chicken by the neck three time over your head.

No shit, read the label!

Comment

Just think, you might have to follow up with an in crop application of wild oat herbicide because ________. Fill in the blank for the multitude of reasons why the Avadex never worked.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...