• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bayer joins list of carbon capture payments

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayer joins list of carbon capture payments

Not in canada nope but like Cargill in the USA and Brazil.

Similar program to Cargill but have to use climate view to document process.

But you then get cash or credits for products used.

Boys and girls it’s not a couple bucks a acre and middle man gets all like Canadian go care getting sold.

Don’t let this **** up also in canada.

Cargill pays the equivalent of 62 Canadian a acre in Iowa.

The resolution was passed at SaskPulse AGM to investigate the potential of making money off carbon....the president of the SSCA stood up and said they have been working on it along with the support of the the checkoff groups...

Doesnt seem like anyone in those groups are doing much on it...while farmers pay a carbon tax...

BTW the saskatchewan AG minister was at the back of the room when that resolution passed ...pretty much all the hands went up...

So he is a little incompetent as well...

Put a room full of average farmers and ask if 4 billion for irrigation makes sense and if the room represents the right proportion maybe one hand would go up...

There is no reason that farmers in this province are not paid for their environmental efforts...

And its obvious the province has the money to do this.

Comment

Any program like that is not a benefit to the farmer, open your eyes and be careful what you wish for. It's a money making program for them.

You really want to pay more for products so that you can hope to qualify for a refund? No thanks, I absolutely hate rebate programs.

Comment

FYI Cargill already has a similar program here for cattle. So far it’s mainly animal husbandry but it’s expected Carbon will be added.

Comment

This whole carbon sequestering could be easily implemented .

SCIC has all the records of a majority of farms for the last decade. So from that they can determine the percentage of tillage a guy has done. Determine the seeding intensity percentage and pay accordingly...

If you grow potatoes and till the land ...then you may get a bill for releasing ...

Then SCIC/government can go to industry and get them to pay for the required offsets...instead of giving money to so called conservation agencies like NCC or DU.

Comment

Want to pay to do tillage? This is a very bad idea. We have no property rights, everyone will get rich except us. We will get regulated to death. Next thing you know it'll be "pay the man $20/acre" to harrow. Didn't this get talked about earlier this spring and contract was posted? It was loaded against the farmer. Just like the CROW the payment can disappear and the regulation stays in place. I am strongly opposed to any program especially if it gets pushed in on crop insurance and ag stab administration. Govts change and you could literally have Chuck telling you what can or can not do on your farm.

Comment

I think my farm is 99 percent seeding intensity ....very little tillage with the disk....

So how much carbon am I sequestering per year? I think there is a formula worked out...

The formula I pay for emitting has been worked out and I am paying on every litre of fuel I purchased and on my natural gas bill for the house and every industry that pays a carbon tax also manages to help offset their costs by upping their price...

Comment

SO while everyone fights the carbon tax....no one is engaging the government that imposed it to get an offer for the efforts farmers make environmentally...

We would rather argue about the fact that we should be paid ?

And buy into the nonsense that the province has no money while they commit 4 billion to 300 farmers .

Comment

In an article on Reuter’s it appears this was made possible by a new tax credit brought by the U.S. administration for carbon sequestration. There is no doubt that Bayer is only doing this because they can make money. Not really interested in more regulations. How would working up wet rutted fields work? I don’t want big brother watching everything I do.

Comment

There are carbon offset programs in the works. Alberta is apparently a world leader in that department yet not something you tend to hear about.

Currently two programs in focus to be implemented are pasture protection and pasture rejuvenation however with the changes in arable offset requirements recently there will most likely be a shift in focus to them at some point.

However governments are not the larger drivers that pay in these programs, companies are. Farmers need to look towards who’s buying their end product. McDonalds has vowed big carbon cuts and will be looking to farmers to help them meet that - Hence adding carbon to VBP+ with Cargill.

Every time you see a company make some huge promise about being net zero or cutting carbon you should see that as an opportunity that they may be giving to farmers. Premiums paid to get product that will help them reach their goals. If they miss their goals it’s going to look mighty bad on their end. In reality, a lot of scenarios don’t even have to involve the government much at all.

Comment

I will say this.....piece meal trials to try to figure the right program will not work...

The calculations as to sequestering per acre are done by scientists...the price of carbon is set and going up...

Its really simple.....sequestering ACRES times PRICE OF CARBON should EQUAL the payment to farmers.

Every one else that wants a piece of the pie wants to make it complicated.

Disclaimer: I think this whole carbon thing is stupid and putting Canada's farmers at a competitive disadvantage .
                      Last edited by bucket; Jul 25, 2020, 08:58.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        I will say this.....piece meal trials to try to figure the right program will not work...

The calculations as to sequestering per acre are done by scientists...the price of carbon is set and going up...

Its really simple.....sequestering ACRES times PRICE OF CARBON should EQUAL the payment to farmers.

Every one else that wants a piece of the pie wants to make it complicated.

Disclaimer: I think this whole carbon thing is stupid and putting Canada's farmers at a competitive disadvantage .

The whole global warming/carbon sequestering thing needs to be killed dead right now. Sadly it like covid communism will not until governments are completely broke. Then it is gone forever.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          Why?

Getting taxed out the wazoo obviously is disadvantageous, but would having carbon offset schemes really put us competitively behind?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                            Why?

Getting taxed out the wazoo obviously is disadvantageous, but would having carbon offset schemes really put us competitively behind?
                            No...I said that wrong....I should have finished my thought...If we were being paid for the carbon sequestering we might be ok but you have to remember everyone is downloading their carbon costs to us....

Fertilizer, trucking, railways, etc etc have a way to offset already...

We don't and creating a complicated system on helps the administrators and the leeches...

Example...Agristability ...those that work their can do so at their leisure while farmers have deadlines to meet ...same with agri invest - why a deadline to contribute?

Every thing gets more complicated ...

I will repeat.....sequestering acres X price on carbon/pollution = payment to farmers...

But it isn't happening and we are currently two years behind since we started paying the carbon tax on every litre....while 2 years of sequestering have not been paid for since the carbon tax went in...

It seems odd that it is easy to charge the carbon tax based on litres, but no one can come up with the simple formula for acres and sequestering???????

And farm groups keep taking their funds without accountability.

Comment

In the black soil zone if I got like the USA from Cargill. Give me 69 dollars on all I own and the 569,000.00 would work for me. Rented I don’t care.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...