• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Life on the farm … Is it worth it?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell all this to you banker when 30% of your crop is in the field or your simply out 30% of your income because or terrible government policy that refuses to acknowledge western Canada Ag even exists beyond supply management.
    Let’s here it ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Point is ???
      "But being a miserable hillbilly for the rest of your life is even harder … it's also bad for your health and personal relationships.
      So we can all make the choice. Stay in farming and make the best of it, or get out …"

It is child abuse to want our grandchildren to farm... seems to be the prevailing theme... on This 'Commodity 'NON' Marketing' "Bully" Forum.

Comment

Anyone who says politics has nothing to do with grain prices is a complete moron.... politics is the only reason that canola is below $10 and pulse crop prices suck . My god , look at how Trudeau has completely ***ien pissed off our major trading partners... holy mother of god how dense some of of you are . He alone has cost us billions in lost revenue, and yet some of you applauded Caron tax’s too boot . WTF is the matter with this handful of of morons

Comment

The "quit and get out mentality" can be applied to anyone who chose a specific career and invested time , energy and money into it and half way through doesn't like what they're doing anymore. Is it just that easy to walk away? Do professionals quit and change jobs into something completely different than what they were doing everyday?

If you're farming for nothing more than the "way of life", I guess it's a way to justify not making much money some years and putting up with Industry abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
            A safe reliable supply of OxyContin seems to take the sharp edge off the world. Or a glass of red wine at dinner.
            If you need medication(prescribed or self medicating) for your mental health in order to farm.....WOW, that truly is sad.....especially if it's the root cause of the need.

Comment

He was being sarcastic, but the question is Do What?

Comment

I mean really. I had a family law lawyer tell me, " you're a big guy you could be in construction".
                So I guess I should finish my days being happy driving a garbage truck?
                Not without tail 3 times a day lol.
                When I'm gone they can piss on my grave, but until then I'll have to push back.

Comment

I've always said, I'm worth less than a streetwalker per day. No trade lol.

Comment

Interesting to hear all the opinions on this, kids rolled in for a week off of university last night and it sure helps the mood for a little while, there bright eyes and enthusiasm are a nice break from reality.
                    Reality.....harvest is not going to be completed.
                    What was harvested is not in condition to sell and requires all my attention to keep from spoiling.
                    Past experience with our disaster programs gives NO comfort, inputs will be coming due and projections didn’t include any crop left out over winter and weren’t based on sample canola.
                    Trying to hit every hurtle with enthusiasm is getting more difficult. Trying to keep the next generation inspired that grain farming is a worthy career choice, looking at agriculture through my glasses I feel I should steer them into the lucrative parasite areas and away from being a primary producer.
                    It’s gonna be a long stressful winter.

Comment

The sad part is none of my neighbours are done. That's the part some don't get. No one can go help someone else. Yes, I'm pissed at farming. Section farmers still have crop out in our area.

Yes, its the best place to raise kids.

But I have the best of both. I live in the city. The education system is better than rural. More things to take part in etc. But then on the weekends or after school being able to go to the farm and do all the things out there is priceless.

But the reality is farmers are the bottom feeders. Sorry, look up anyone who has a business that needs farmers. When they are done if it was successful (seed tax will help to keep the welfare state going) They are bought up by bigger corps for insane dollars.

We get pennies in payment vs dollars for business.

It's nice to live in a bubble and think 1928 prices for grain is great in 2020. Is anything worth what it was 100 years ago? Oil, gold, silver, copper, Nope but grain yet its free.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post

It's nice to live in a bubble and think 1928 prices for grain is great in 2020. Is anything worth what it was 100 years ago? Oil, gold, silver, copper, Nope but grain yet its free.
                        Then why do farmers spend like its 2020 and not 1928 to grow a bulk wholesale raw commodity that literally hasn't changed since 1928?

Comment

I guess tweety because I had to shoot my last horse and set it free.

The steam tractor died a long time ago.

The AR and R are having a rough go.

The wife doesn't want to pull the plow.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            Point is ???
                            Cost control

Comment

Reality tweety, Why should we farmers work with 1928 horses to grow grain. You want farmers like the poor peasants in China or Mexico or any other shit hole country.

The Parasites got out of hand in Canada and once they got a taste of all the money they could take its like drugs you just have to get more.

Comment

Farmers need really good safety nets to offset the additional risk of weather and markets.

Supply management farmers get tremendous support in this country and the system works very well.

We could have much better safety nets. But those safety nets should be targeted to small and medium sized farms that need the net to survive and not end up bailing out out really big farms who shouldn't get taxpayers help to build a bigger ego driven empire that puts all the small and medium sized farmers at a big disadvantage.

Rural communities are much better and more sustainable when there a lot of successful small and medium sized farms rather than a handful of giant corporate operations that suck up all the land and resources.

Taxpayers will not support subsidies to giant corporate farms.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...