• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attention Bourgault, Seed Hawk, Morris, etc.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attention Bourgault, Seed Hawk, Morris, etc.

Just wondering if you fellas have noticed that your 3/4 million dollar drills don't emerge any better than a 20 year old Eeze on air seeder or first maxim air drill??? when its gets ugly they are no better than anything ? and when conditions are good anything will make it grow?
    one would think that amount of money anything would grow?
    they all seem to be really lacking on packing ?
    just curious

Its marketing...its easy to sell drills and performance when conditions are better than ideal....the drought shows up and it highlights the wasted equity....

Comment

The young ones dont know any other drill. Not sure what they think when $50k seeding rig grows as good a crop as a million dollar one. Guess thats not newsworthy for the twitter crowd.

My new neighbors seeding with a new Deere tracked tractor and their newest independent opener drill just like Deere advertises on their website. That outfit has to be more than a million. They are watching a full on crop failure their first year out in every crop they seeded. Timing was worth more than any drill this year.

Sometimes think packing is becoming an issue. Narrow points with really wide press wheels seems to be counter productive this yr. My neighbor uses spread tips on his concorde. Throws more dirt, loosens the soil pretty good, but then packs it back down. His $30k drill could out eed anyone.
      Last edited by jazz; Jul 11, 2019, 13:58.

Comment

Correct on narrow openers..wide packers.
        Packers can't pack enough cuz tires ride on ridge..
        Our cheap shit obsolete 8810 has 3 inch openers and 3 inch HD packers and packs like a rock..need pick to check seed depth not just your finger.
        Canola is better than most in area..
        Plus new drills were designed for direct..dry land seeding.
        Last edited by Partners; Jul 11, 2019, 14:25.

Comment

Because our normal seeding conditions range from way too wet, to pure mud, I use a Concord because the walking beam rubber tire packers are the only thing that doesn't turn into a mud ball. But after 3 extremely dry springs in a row, where packing was highly inadequate, I was seriously thinking we need two different seeding outfits, one for dry springs,(narrow openers, narrow steel packers) and one for wet.

This spring was back to normal with mud stuck to the packers tires on all but the very last quarter, and excellent emergence. Yet as of late April, it looked like it would be extremely dry yet again.

Comment

I love watching those outfits going by. Totally impressive, usually in pairs.
            I swap war stories with a big farm labourer in the pub. He says you just have to press a button on the ipad and they open up. Press another button for canola and the satellites(?) calibrate for you and run the sectional control according to the field map.
            A smart hitch will move so you can seed exactly between the stubble rows of last year’s crop.
            Thats has to be worth something.

Comment

Yup neighbors got all that kool shit..impressive..
              But they forgot to get out of the cab to check depth..half inch just don't work..

Comment

See and our old morris maxim doesnt have an ipad at all lol
                We had virtually no rain here until weed spraying was near done
                Last pic of wheat seeded on a dried out alfalfa field shows how dry it was here and yet it grew but headed out 8” high
                The only point i am trying to make is that i dont think these new miracle drills pack enough and theyre a lot of money !
                What do others think ?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                  Because our normal seeding conditions range from way too wet, to pure mud, I use a Concord because the walking beam rubber tire packers are the only thing that doesn't turn into a mud ball. But after 3 extremely dry springs in a row, where packing was highly inadequate, I was seriously thinking we need two different seeding outfits, one for dry springs,(narrow openers, narrow steel packers) and one for wet.

This spring was back to normal with mud stuck to the packers tires on all but the very last quarter, and excellent emergence. Yet as of late April, it looked like it would be extremely dry yet again.
                  I think there was a drill made for all conditions , its the BG 8910 (hope i got that right) like what partners has
                  In mud up to your ass you can drop packers and put harrows on , like partners said on a year like this you could pack the be jesus out of it because of the heavier frame , our morris isnt heavy enough some years , but a joy to pull through mud on others
                  Would like to see one set up to double shoot and with atom jet openers on
                  That would seed anything in this country any year any conditions
                  But it wasnt a cool enough drill and was to cheap for bto’s

Comment

A BG tech person told us the system we have is the best kept secret..but we can't make money selling $100,000 drills..

Comment

I think he choice of opener needs to match the packer type and width.

The last two drills I bought, I was dumb enough to buy them new so I could configure them to what I thought best suited the Ghetto. 10 inch spacing, 4 inch round packer, 2 inch Dutch spread tip. Bourgault QDA... because if I wanted to change depth I would because it's easy and I'm too lazy to change every shank every time I thought we needed to adjust the depth.

That configuration would probably be even better with liquid nitrogen fert side banded, phos with the seed and the midrow banders forgotten about. I truely believe the fert is a little too far from the seedrow in dry years and the midrow banders might contribute to drying out the seed bed a bit too.

Now if Bourgault would combine the QDA with XTC opener and make all the depth adjustments through the QDA frame they would really have something. But it was explained to me that the frame height needed to stay constant and the opener needed to be adjusted for depth...probably changing frame height ****s with the geometry of the XTC opener operation.
                      Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 11, 2019, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        We had virtually no rain here until weed spraying was near done
                        Last pic of wheat seeded on a dried out alfalfa field shows how dry it was here and yet it grew but headed out 8” high
                        The only point i am trying to make is that i dont think these new miracle drills pack enough and theyre a lot of money !
                        What do others think ?
                        The seed hawkers around here were thinking they over packed things...

Regardless, the hawk canola crops are pretty much terrible except for a guy that seeds his canola at 3.5mph and plays with packing pressure regularly.

Comment

Well I know a am now comfortable planting canola at 2 lbs ... dries spring in decades , flea beetles and a touch of frost ......

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            Well I know a am now comfortable planting canola at 2 lbs ... dries spring in decades , flea beetles and a touch of frost ......
                            Look at that terrible canola crop, why isn't canola 18$

Comment

To each their own.... get a kick outa guys bashing the “million dollar” outfits seeding next to them. How’s it effected you in a negative way? I’m sure you ain’t jealous so what’s the problem?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...