• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Admit there is a problem interest rates and jobs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admit there is a problem interest rates and jobs

Ya time maybe to understand that no matter whether you think it's self induced or a factor of the times people are so in debt that even a slight interest rate hike finishes businesses and people off financially.
    51,000 jobs lost. In no small part to interest rate hikes. Quite simple people pay more on interest they don't buy new products. Case in point the only way autos get sold is with no interest however that s a scam in itself interest is built into the price.

Interest rates should be higher because there is no way interest rates would be this low while debt levels are this high in a free market environment. Government is always printing as much as it can at all times, it is just that we can no longer thwart market forces and rates will move higher. If they print more there will (already is at the machinery dealership) be hyper inflation. In general, demand will be lower in the future as people have already spent future earnings for decades to come. Too much debt. The August report was just a correction of erroneous prior period reports anyways. There has not been real growth in Canuckistan for more than a decade. Need to get used to that.

Comment

No the job loss is directly related to loss of buying goods. Correlated to the amount taken out of consumers pockets. Plain and simple. You may want high interest rates in a lala land scenerio. Reality is interest rates represent a false income in the economy they always have been a money grab for banks and losers like the canola gang and other input losers making money off of what? Off of nothing creating nothing. Should be law they never go over 5 percent. And all hers losers charging 18% when bank rate is where it is ahoukd be charged. But I heard today due to the ruling in the canola case farmers are going after other input lone sharks that go back to day one and charge farmers interest when hey advertised zero interest until certain time period the penalty is actually illegal.

Comment

I create something every year ...I put a bushel in the ground and take a multiple of that out ....sadly the effort and money it takes to grow is now eaten up by leeches that continually charge more for no other reason but "they can"....

Maybe interest rates shouldn't be this low BUT maybe fertilizer and fuel and machinery shouldn't be this HIGH....

Comment

The bigger problem is canada lost 51000 jobs thanks to the Prince of Pot in ottawa. The USA gained a amazing amount of jobs.

Canada is becoming Mexico of the North.

THank a Trudeau they always find a way to F#$K up Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
            The bigger problem is canada lost 51000 jobs thanks to the Prince of Pot in ottawa. The USA gained a amazing amount of jobs.

Canada is becoming Mexico of the North.

THank a Trudeau they always find a way to F#$K up Canada.

Correction ....Western Canada...the rest is just collateral damage...

Eastern Canada lives on government assistance...Autos, bombardier, just to name a couple industries that are intravenous money support...

All funded by Western industries....oil, agriculture, etc...

Comment

You are awful selective with your figures - 51,000 down in August - after being up the 2 previous months including a 54,000 gain in June. Contrary to what some would like to portray it's not a western only problem either - Ontario was the big loser dropping 80,000 jobs while Alberta was up 16,000. Maybe its a sign of things to come in the Ford nation while the NDP continue to make a good job in Alberta? Or do Provincial politics not influence regional employment - or is it all just partisan politics where you pick and choose what to praise and condemn based on party allegiances?

Comment

Grassfarmer, didn't have time to look it up but they were discussing this on the radio, I believe with the drop in August we are actually at a net loss since Jan. 1, I think down 17000 for the year but don't quote me my memory is far from perfect. As for Alberta, Calgary's unemployment rate went from 7.9 to 8.2, only 1 major city in Canada that was higher!

Comment

Here is a graph of the 5 year unemployment rate Hamloc. Yes, we are rising a little bit from the very lowest it's been since the 1960s but I don't remember it being a topic of concern on here under the Harper Government prior to 2015.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 8.39.59 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	766691

If this were a graph of grain prices would you all be complaining how high the price was getting?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    Correction ....Western Canada...the rest is just collateral damage...

Eastern Canada lives on government assistance...Autos, bombardier, just to name a couple industries that are intravenous money support...

All funded by Western industries....oil, agriculture, etc...
                    You seem to forget that agriculture and the oil industry also receive subsidies in Canada.

Alberta and Saskatchewan economies are overly dependent on resources and commodities, market prices of which are not set in Canada.

Lack of oil pipelines are a significant factor because for many decades we shipped all our oil to one market and now that market is becoming more self sufficient and we need to sell oil to other countries. This is because of new technology that has developed tight oil in the US and Canada.

Norway put away 1 trillion dollars during their oil boom. Where is our rainy day savings account? We have totally mismanaged a one time resource and frittered most of it away. The party is over and the hangover sucks.

We needed real fiscal conservatives like the ones in Norway instead of the Canadian Conservatives who gave a lot of the benefits to their oil company friends.
                    Last edited by chuckChuck; Sep 8, 2018, 07:52.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                      You seem to forget that agriculture and the oil industry also receive subsidies in Canada.

Alberta and Saskatchewan economies are overly dependent on resources and commodities, market prices of which are not set in Canada.

Lack of oil pipelines are a significant factor because for many decades we shipped all our oil to one market and now that market is becoming more self sufficient and we need to sell oil to other countries. This is because of new technology that has developed tight oil in the US and Canada.

Norway put away 1 trillion dollars during their oil boom. Where is our rainy day savings account? We have totally mismanaged a one time resource and frittered most of it away. The party is over and the hangover sucks.

We needed real fiscal conservatives like the ones in Norway instead of the Canadian Conservatives who gave a lot of the benefits to their oil company friends.

Wow. I actually agree with that entire post, Chuck.

Comment

This is the ghost of the Leyman Bros collapse of 2008 . . . which has never been fully repaired. There is no way interest rates can move up without risk of a total global financial market washout. Central bankers are hooped, and they know it.

Now the emerging market crisis . . .

Comment

I think i agree with Chuck as well. Weird.... only thing i can add, and I'm not making excuses for conservatives taking on debt, just the what-if scenario if they didn't after 08, the loonie likely would of went $2:$1 USD as we would have been seen as 1 of the most financially responsible countries in the world and that don't work when your selling commods.

Comment

Originally posted by errolanderson View Post
                            This is the ghost of the Leyman Bros collapse of 2008 . . . which has never been fully repaired. There is no way interest rates can move up without risk of a total global financial market washout. Central bankers are hooped, and they know it.

Now the emerging market crisis . . .
                            Who defaults first Errol? Italy ? Turkey? ..... but but but but low rates were the solution to prevent a crisis
                            Last edited by macdon02; Sep 8, 2018, 11:49.

Comment

Seems the people want some assets rather then debt or cash

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...