• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the best land purchase you have ever made?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry if you thought we were off topic, I
    was under the impression that the topic was
    farm land and what good deals people had
    made selling it. Land use issues are part
    and parcel of farm land since all land in
    Alberta is zoned agricultural until
    rezoning takes place.

Comment

Spoken like a true politician. The bottom line is land is a good place to park money. Even when bought at the wrong time history has shown that patients will bring values up. (in reality I guess it just means our money is worth less) I bought a 1/4 that the neighbors bought @ 1200/ac from them for 600 (they traded for land close to them for same money). Payed 2000 for the 1/4 next to it a few years later and land here has since been trading between 2500 and 5000/ac. Nothing to do with "farm" values. Everything to do with living near a City and acreages being harder to get so it you have the money you buy a 1/4 instead of 3 acres. All land seems hard to pay for and was for my grandfather and dad as well. I am thankful that they jumped in though. Kinda shows that Copper was right on topic.

Comment

Maybe a little off topic but very interesting for sure. Please keep the comments coming.

Comment

Land is a good investment, and patience
          is necessary in any business . I look
          at businesses who stick their neck out
          hoping someone will buy their product
          and they have a dozen competitors in the
          same community so they like to gamble as
          much as farmers do !! I look at the
          quarter sections of bush pasture around
          here with a small bungalow on them, and
          see what they are selling for, or at
          least what the asking price is and know
          that no-one interested in buying the
          places is going to pay for it by farming
          unless they are farming something that
          likely isn't legal. The homes in Calgary
          that have a mountain view are still
          commanding a huge price, and not too
          many years ago they were part of
          someone's ranch. Likely land that
          somebody's grandad homesteaded and
          wondered what in heck he was doing
          taking such a gamble !! Owning land is a
          blessing that many of us don't really
          appreciate, that is why they are going
          to play Don't Fence me In at my funeral,
          hopefully not in the near future !!!!!

Comment

I have seen many sides of the above Land Use discussion. I was involved with the ALR (agricultural land reserve) for a few years. This was/is the goverment agency in BC that regulates agricultural land. IMO, this agency has really preserved the land in BC for future generations, esp around larges cities like Vancouver where the land is the best and the pressure from population is undescribable.

I have also been the owner of an 'acerage' and witnessed first hand the issues the ranchers around me dealt with by other acerage owners who have no respect for farming. FIRES are my biggest pet peeve. People do not seem to understand the damage runaway fires can do - and many are started by a burn barrel on a small acerage!

I can understand why a farmer would want to subdivide off a non productive part of their property. I can also understand why someone would want to live in the sticks and not have more then 20 acres - or even less.

What I will never understand is why a person moves to the country and complains about farmers and their way of living - IMO - they should be just grateful that the people who feed the world share their land and lifestyle with them.

Maybe - before someone can purchase an acerage they should have to go to living-in-the-sticks-101 and learn to appreciate the lifestyle or stay in the city. LOL!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...