• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How It is Done

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grassfarmer, I read the Premier's comments and was concerned. I feel that he had not beem properly briefed on the issue, as he seemed to feel that the PI's were necessary to thwart any sort of uprising, but in fact, from what I am told there were security guards at the hearings in Rimbey so there should have been no need for PI's. To go a step further, if anyone felt threatened in any way why didn't the AEUB have RCMP present.

I think the entire AltaLink application should be re-heard, and if the group that opposes it takes this to Queen's Bench it would not surprise me if that is what they direct the AEUB to do.

The local paper has an excellent editorial today about the entire issue, it includes a comment which is most appropriate. ' The intervenors did not go looking for trouble, it came to them in the form of power lines they do not want on their property'.

One person that I know who is part of a intervenor group has two power lines on his property already and does not feel he owes Albertan's the ability to have another one cross his land.

Comment

The joke around here is that if Altalink are successfully blocked and the lights go out on us all it won't be because Calgary has overloaded the system, rather the Governmental paper shredders will over load the system trying to cover their tracks.

Comment

According to my acquaintance who is part of one intervening group, there have been issues on both sides of the hearing. He feels that some of the intervenors have caused more harm than good with some of their antics, and that combined with the way the hearing has been run certainly hasn't done anyone any favors.

When the Glacier Power decision went against the company, they regrouped and it is my understanding that they have dealt with the issues of intervenors and have another application in. Alta Link is a different matter, when the power lines across private land sterilize that land for future development as well as cause safety concerns.

I certainly would not want one across my property. I have pipelines here and they also sterlize property for development but at least I don't have to look at the damn things.

Comment

sorry for the second post but if the line is necessary to provide power for Calgary that is one issue, however, if it is being proposed in order to sell power to the US, that is an entirely different matter.

Comment

The extra power for Calgary argument is all a big hoax, this is about liquidating a pile of coal as fast as possible and selling it to the Americans. It seems to be the clear policy of the Alberta Government to asset strip the province of it's resources whether they be mineral, water, agricultural or human resources with not a second thought given to the environmental or societal damage done in the process.

A clear expression of that is shown in the "water for life" strategy where ground water gets mentioned only once.

Another expression of it is in the Water Conservation and Allocation Guideline for Oilfield Injection where a stated objective under Water Conservation is "to minimize the use of non-saline (fresh) water WHILE LIMITING THE STRANDING OF OIL RESOURCES"

Comment

I see via the AB Gov. news releases that Frank Wark, Privacy Commissioner is conducting an investigation into the AEUB's hiring of PI's.
              According to the news release the commissioner will review ALL information gathered by the investigators.

Comment

That's kind of after the fact isn't it? -as the Edmonton Journal story from last Friday reported the energy Minister Mel Knight had already completed his inquiry last Thursday and stated that "No one with the Alberta Energy and Utilities Board will be disciplined "at this time" for hiring private investigators to spy on opponents of a proposed north-south power line"

Comment

Grassfarmer,are you quoting from the Journal????????Who will tell these guys this is 2007 not 1947.......
                  I thought the `Cold War`was over??????

Comment

AEUB actions disqusting. PC party super fast investigation equally disqusting. Oil and gas has the provincial government in its back pocket, corruption runs deep in Alberta, no doubt about it! Steady Eddy better do something soon, or he is doomed.

Comment

In our area there are several upcoming hearings with respect to sour wells, and I can tell you the public who are concerned have no faith in the AEUB. I agree the province must do something to regain public confidence in all boards and commissions, not only the AEUB.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...