• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ray Strom Found Guilty

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recall Peter Lougheed making the comment as he was leaving the leadership of the PCs to the effect that the challenge for the party was to strike a balance between the provinces various interests. I think Lougheed did that very well but the leaders that followed were not up to the task in the same fashion as Lougheed was. And I think it has gotten progressively worse. I hope Ed Stelmach will break the trend but that remains to be seen, for instance we still await the government response on the Strom issue. I think it is a fair comment to say that the balance between oil and agriculture in this province has totally gone out the window.

When you mention resource industries, I would point out that agriculture is a resource industry too. Alberta is blessed with two major resource industries but the Progressive Conservative Government of the Province of Alberta has to start to view agriculture as more than just a breeding ground for oil field workers or a sure fire vote in any provincial election.

Comment

FS, Alberta is blessed with more than one resource industry. If you doubt that, check with communities like Whitecourt, Drayton Valley etc. they will tell you that a triving forestry industry has kept their communities afloat when there has been a down turn in the oil and gas sector.

I am well ware that Agriculture is an industry as well, heaven forbid I forget that, since I have been involved in the industry for in excess of 30 years.

The spin off effect of the dollars earned in the resource industries including agriculture certainly are responsible for the thriving economy in the province. I do think that those involved in the agriculture industry are much more frugal when it comes to spending, and certainly realize the value of their hard earned money vs easy come easy go which seems to be the norm with some of those involved in the other industries. Having said that, those that choose to spend their cash on toys, vacations, new homes etc. certainly inject a lot of dollars into their communities.

Comment

coppertop you stated you read the PC resolutions and there is not much subsence. Would it be possible to post some of them on this site. I have always been a thru blue tory but I am really having second thoughts now. The MLA's have lost touch with not only rural Albertans but most of the population except the high paid oil and gas executives who control the purse strings and the strings that are attached to pupets in the Government. I tend to agree that the bielection should take the riding out of the PC hands and maybe it would be a good wake up call. That Ed better move on change quickly and not follow the KIng Ralph's example.

Comment

Calgary Mountain View – A Resolution
          Resolution to immediately set up a committee to study and come up with recommendations for the construction of nuclear power plants for use in tar sands development, including public consultations with experts from the private sector.

Calgary Nose Hill – B Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Government of Alberta adopt a comprehensive watershed based management strategy in order to protect the sources of domestic water from contamination and to ensure future water quality and sustainability.

Cypress Medicine Hat – A Resolution
          Be it resolved that the "Government of Alberta entrench property rights in Alberta".

Cardston Taber Warner – A Resolution
          Be it resolved that:
          1. For 2006, and 2007 producers be given the choice of inventory valuation under the old system or under the new system.
          2. For all years, seed actually used on your own farm be excluded from inventory valuation.
          3. To correct for the negative impact of inventory carryover on reference margins, producers be given the option of including all crop grown that year, including unsold inventory, in the production margin for that year, when calculating the reference margin for future years.

Edmonton Calder – A Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Alberta Government create a multi-stakeholder task force to formulate a provincial water pricing structure as part the implementation of the Water for Life Strategy and its laudable goals of conservation.

Edmonton Rutherford - A Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Alberta government act with haste in appointing a select committee of the Legislature to find ways and means of ensuring that Albertans will no longer feel insecure is the preservation and enjoyment of their property and their rights thereto.

Edmonton Whitemud – B Resolution
          Resolved: that the Government of Alberta establish and implement policies required to:
          (a) Ensure that Alberta’s air and water quality are the standard by which all provinces measure their environmental protection activities; and,
          (b) Ensure that the province’s water resources, which are experiencing the challenges of rapid population and industrial growth, as well as changing climate, are appropriately managed in the best interest of all Albertans.

Fort McMurray – Wood Buffalo – A Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Government of Alberta undertake a program to further facilitate the access to Crown Land in areas that are undergoing rapid development. Having more efficient access to land well in advance of ongoing yearly development would allow for more effective long-range planning. A more efficient process would have a positive impact on housing costs, sociological issues and industrial space shortages.

Grande Prairie Wapiti – B Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Alberta government return a fair share of resource revenues to all resource communities to ensure they are able to manage growth pressures and to continue to contribute to the prosperity of Alberta.

Highwood – A Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Alberta Government start an initiative to have property rights entrenched as a right of all Albertans.

Highwood – B Resolution
          Be it resolved that Alberta allow BSE testing when required for market access.

Lac La Biche – St. Paul – B Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Alberta Government research, develop and implement incentive programs to encourage landowners to provide environmental goods and services such as fresh water, clean air, and wildlife habitat.

Red Deer North – A Resolution
          Encourage and reward conservation of water in legislation and policy where it is viable to do so; and initiate projects designed to capture and store water to ensure the water supply is well managed for current and future generations.

Spruce Grove Sturgeon St. Albert – B Resolution
          Be it resolved that Government of Alberta investigate the long-term effects of underground CO2 storage before implementing policies.

Stony Plain – B Resolution
          Be it resolved that the province develop a set of policies focused on the more efficient and/or effective use of energy.

Strathmore Brooks – A Resolution
          Be it resolved that all rights of the landowner and/or occupant as outlined in the current Alberta Surface Rights Act (SRA) be preserved.

Whitecourt Ste. Anne – A Resolution
          Be it resolved that the Progressive Conservative Party of Alberta request the Alberta Provincial Government to financially support research and development This should be specifically targeted at increasing the economic viability of Alberta Forested lands

Comment

The above resolutions are some of the better ones, pertaining to resources and environment.

Comment

Calgary Lougheed – B Resolution

Be it resolved that the provincial government take the leadership role and begin immediate plans for completion of the Calgary 37th Street Inner Ring Road, to be built within the existing city corridor, working in conjunction with existing plans. This initiative should be done in parallel with continuing negotiations to complete the plan through the Tsuu T’ina lands.

Edmonton Calder - B Resolution
              Be it resolved the Government of Alberta provide regulatory licensing for those engaged in foreign workers recruitment into Alberta, as well as create a central registry in regards to monitor the placement of these foreign workers in Alberta. Whereas, it would be a benefit to Alberta industry to increase the strategic supply the skilled labour, while safeguarding the foreign worker to the same employment standards enjoyed by all Albertans.

Edmonton McClung - A Resolution
              Be it resolved the Province move expeditiously to bring the western leg of Anthony Henday Drive up to free-flow standards by completing all planned overpass.

Grande Prairie Wapiti – A Resolution
              Be it resolved that the Alberta government make completion of this “CANAMEX” North-South trade corridor a high priority and commit to completion within the next two years.

St. Albert – A Resolution
              Be it resolved that new large scale industrial developments must partner with provincial and municipal governments in jointly providing the funding required for the expansion of supporting municipal infrastructure.

St. Albert - B Resolution
              Be it resolved that the Government of Alberta be requested to act as quickly as possible in carry-out and releasing the results of a study outlining the feasibility and costs of establishing a Municipal Property Tax Assistance Program that would operate in a manner similar to the existing Provincial Education Property Tax Assistance Program for seniors.

Leduc Beaumont Devon – A Resolution
              Be it resolved that the Government of Alberta support the development of inland ports, which utilize inter-modal transportation, as a means of fully unlocking the economic potential associated with the development of the Pacific Gateway in Prince Rupert.

Lesser Slave Lake - A Resolution
              Be it resolved that the Government of Alberta direct the Transportation Department to become pro-active in the development of roads and services necessary to fully access the abundant resources of this province. The areas where the resources are being discovered and developed are the remote parts of Alberta and the usual method of basing road and service development on usage is a deterrent, rather than assistance to the development of these resources as economic generation.

Lesser Slave Lake - B Resolution
              Be it resolved that the Government of Alberta work with all education facilities to eliminate turf protection and incorrect information re: what courses are required by the student for selected area of study. The major universities, of present necessity, limit the numbers of qualified students admitted into some disciplines but resist allowing other facilities to provide first and/or second year instruction in these same disciplines. It would be an advantage for students to take their education closer to home both economically and would make the adjustment of moving from smaller schools into post-secondary learning easier.

Comment

Sorry for the additional post but I wanted to point out that only the top five of these resolutions as chosen by the various regions will be debated on the conference floor at the PC Convention

Comment

thanks coppertop Now that the last calf hit the ground last night I hope to have a minute to go thru this post in alittle more detail. From what I have read so far I agree with your orginal post of lack of substance. It appears the rural landowners are in trouble again.

Comment

hayburner, if there isn't ample rural focus in the proposed resolutions, then rural folks have no-one to blame but themselvs. These resolutions are first developed at the constituency level, and if those associations don't have a strong rural voice then of course it isn't going to be heard up the ladder to the convention.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...