• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monopoly or not

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monopoly or not

Hutterites are buying up land at prices which most cannot afford. We are talking 75 times rental. Should this be classified as a monopolistic tactic or just free market?

Or are they just better capitalists than the rest of us?

The Hutterites I know don't spend their Winters in florida, they have welding shops and carpentry and construction and building grain bins, building and repairing their own equipment and infrastructure, feeding and butchering and direct marketing livestock.
    As far as I know, they used the same financing firms as are available to the rest of us.

If they can make the land pay at those prices, then there's no reason why the rest of us can't.
    The last land I bought I outbid the hutterites who had been farming it. The math works for me.
    Is there any legal reason why any of the rest of us couldn't call ourselves a church and have the same tax advantages? Are they tax advantages compared to being incorporated?

Comment

Unless they find oil , it will not pay in our lifetime or anyone else's. But they are squeezing out others. No banker would lend money for such purchases based on R.O.I.

Comment

Define pay in our lifetime or anyone else's.
        Certain cultures have monopolized sections of the trucking industry, gas stations and liquor stores.
        If only two choices I know who I'd sell to.

Comment

A wise man once told me
          " buying land is buying a job for the rest of your life"

The hutts are my new neighbours to the north...
          made me richer 5 fold.
          They can go spend whatever they want...

At the end of the day they still have to live in that cult where gene spread is an actual issue. You do you brosephs...

You wanna buy up the countryside and be all related? Sure thing!

Im not looking down my nose at them.. but i very seriously pity them. The young not wanting to be on the colony ...and the old.trying to hold onto the old ways? No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
            Unless they find oil , it will not pay in our lifetime or anyone else's. But they are squeezing out others. No banker would lend money for such purchases based on R.O.I.
            Where do you think they are getting the money from?

Comment

Hutt colonies max out around 100 souls before they split. Everyone has a roof over their head, ample food, eyeglasses (bad vision from founders effect) and other necessities taken care of. However, they essentially work for nothing and are under educated like the Mennonites so they hopefully don’t leave the colony. Like other groups who I’m not singling out in the trucking industry running three to a truck with rubber stamped licenses undercutting rates etc, it’s possible to make things work not possible for the rest not stuck in a wacky religion or coming from a third world country where standard of living is a lot lower. Sure you could do it too but convince others to follow and start a cult. Get a religious exemption and go hard. There’s even Jewish sects involved in the same scheme all over the place. Can understand the communal living thing to get ahead and better the whole community but religion and low education standards involved to keep the young workforce around.

Comment

They may implode, but will farming look like if they break up? They soon will be the only game in town.

Comment

So are you wanting government to control who can buy land Aggy ?

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                    They may implode, but will farming look like if they break up? They soon will be the only game in town.
                    Just get a black suit and I’m sure you’ll fit right in.

Comment

Capitalists my ass, Hutts are commies. Slave labour for food and shelter all within a religious cult compound. If you think you can compete with that as a farmer you're living in a dream world.

I hear constantly on Agriville about guys not being able to hire good help. You got a dozens houses on your property full of young adults ready to take orders and work for no salary

The Church owns everything, and exactly what do Churches pay in property taxes? Sweet F -all.

What do they add to the local schools, rec-centers, even the economies as they buy everything in bulk in Wpg. and Brandon here in Manitoba.

Manitoba has the highest denisty of Hutt colonies in the West and the highest farm land prices. They are squeezing out any young farmer trying to expand, as well as generational farms, you hear it all the time.

Just a side note, how many Hutts fought in WW2 when it came to defending democarcy and freedom for Canada? Young farm boys and men dying on the battlefields while the Hutts hide behind religion and built up the colonies.

Nothing to do with religion regarding Hutts, it's all about money and control.

Comment

Not particularly, but who will clean up the mess if the large land holders default? Corporate farming may be the way of the future with conglomerates owning the land . The amount of capital required to farm is biggest problem.

Comment

No system lasts forever.
                          History repeats as well.
                          Cultures that put family first will survive. Hutts fairly new to the game, time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Manitoba has the highest denisty (sic) of Hutt colonies in the West and the highest farm land prices.
                            You might want to call FCC and have them fix their errors...

Comment

Hutterites are a good example of how communism can be successful. Especially when working alongside capitalism.

I wouldn’t say they’re a monopoly. Yet. They could get there one day. But then regular farmers could compete with them better if they lived similarly; no holidays, better team work, less infighting, no divvying up land between families, etc.

But who’s going to do that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...