• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian Carbon Rebate

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The far more concern of ‘“climate change “ is the suns activity and the earths magnetic pole reversal ongoing . But “carbon” has become the new boogie “person” .. to be politically correct
    An easy scapegoat to the ongoing natural changes
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Apr 5, 2024, 21:16.

Comment

Just more climate change denial?

You accept the science for everything else on your farm.

But then you deny the science that proves that the climate is changing because of human activity? Huh?

How does that make any sense at all?

Either you accept that science is the only way to understand the world or you don't. Which is it Furrow?

Science denial when it suits your political views or science acceptance?

Even Poilievre says human cause climate change is real. So whats your problem with the science?

I post science from world class scientific organizations and you and your buddies post anti science crap!

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        I realize that this concept will be far above your pay grade, considering that you haven't yet accepted that the glaciers that used to cover your imaginary farm melted before the industrial era. But I will entertain myself by responding anyways. You have done such a good job of exposing your gross ignorance of anything related to agriculture or biology, that I just can't resist.

You have a real fixation with the Athabasca glacier. I assume you have visited the site, and seen the signs for yourself? What did you observe about the soil left behind from the glacier?
        Was it rich and black and mellow and full of organic matter, also known as carbon?
        Or was it ground up rocks devoid of organic matter?

I don't know about your imaginary farm, but on my real farm, the best soils have up to 15% organic matter, the peat moss has many multiples of that. (And the poorest soils which have been farmed under a low input model for most of a century happy graded to around 3%)
        And it all started out as glacial till, with no organic matter.
        Any guesses how that organic matter/carbon was added to the soil? It wouldn't have anything to do with decomposing tree roots and trees and plants and mosses and insects and worms and bacteria and fungus and every other living thing which dies and decomposes and becomes organic matter, now would it?
        For bonus marks, can you see any connection between this process and your favorite topic about CO2 levels naturally dropping as nature sequesters CO2?
        Good morning chuck. I just realized that you hadn't responded to this post. Knowing how passionate you are about glaciers and tree roots lately, I thought I should bring it to your attention so you can explain it to me.
        Have you figured out how the carbon levels were built up in your glacial kill soil yet, if all decomposing roots release their carbon back to the atmosphere as you claim above?

Comment

Most soils across the prairies have lost a large amount of organic matter. It will take a long time to rebuild it. Cattle guys and grazing are moving the needle more than zero till.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
            Most soils across the prairies have lost a large amount of organic matter. It will take a long time to rebuild it. Cattle guys and grazing are moving the needle more than zero till.
            You are deflecting again. You made the laughable claim that when tree roots decompose all of the carbon is released back to the atmosphere.
            To use your tactic, what credible scientific organization is claiming that?

Comment

Not necessarily

Comment

BUT BUT cows FART & belch C02 and methane, that is KILLING earth! Now what do we do?

Comment

It's just this STUPID!

Comment

That is the problem when you are discussing farming with someone who isn’t farming they don’t realize that organic matter has been building in our soils . The only exception would be the organic farms that I been around going the other way.If you were a farmer direct seeding you would noticed that, quit the BS.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

You are deflecting again. You made the laughable claim that when tree roots decompose all of the carbon is released back to the atmosphere.
                      To use your tactic, what credible scientific organization is claiming that?
                      So soils never release stored carbon? is that another of your dumbass claims?

Comment

Oh so now SOIL is evil? Maybe tax soil, stop the release of C02? That is dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by kANOLA View Post

That is the problem when you are discussing farming with someone who isn’t farming they don’t realize that organic matter has been building in our soils . The only exception would be the organic farms that I been around going the other way.If you were a farmer direct seeding you would noticed that, quit the BS.
                          Exactly! Hanging out at meetings, calling people names and arguing online, and doing research allows little time to get in the field. Organic matter which has been reclaimed through direct seeding, continuous cropping, proper fertilization, etc has done more to save the soils of western Canada than any hair brained directives espoused by hair brained ag larpers like you know who.

Comment

So soils never release stored carbon? is that another of your dumbass claims?
                            Do you realize there is a difference between net and gross?
                            Does trying to force your opponent to defend some absurd claim using the word "never" have any utility, does anyone take that bait?

If you have 10" of topsoil at 10% organic matter, it contains 176,000 lbs of carbon per acre.

The initial glacial till contained essentially 0 Carbon per acre.

How did this happen under your scenario where you claim decomposing roots etc release their C back into the atmosphere?
                            Where did the C come from?

Comment

He is researching, don't disturb, response early morning.

Comment

Most prairie soils were much higher in organic matter prior to agriculture. And zero tillage has been a big benefit to soil health and sequestering some carbon. But it will probably never get back to the levels before cultivation where perennial grasses built up organic matter over thousand of years.

And soil organic matter continues to release carbon in the carbon cycle.

But the difference is all the previously stored CO2 that has come from and continues to come from fossil fuels. That's the carbon emission source we have to reduce.
                                Last edited by chuckChuck; Apr 10, 2024, 07:02.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...