• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EV’s

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EV’s

As I was doing my usual look at the headlines at breakfast I came across the article on the CBC: “A collision, 2 months and $18 K later, a couple worries their EV insurer will raise rates.”

Chuck2, always preaches how EV’s are more efficient and cheaper to operate. The reality is they are more expensive to buy, more expensive to fix and as more are purchased in Canada will become more expensive to insure. “In the U.K., for example, the average cost of EV insurance rose by 72% in 2023, compared to 29% for internal combustion engine vehicles according to the Financial Times.” Meanwhile in an article in the Financial Post: “Stellantis lays off about 400 workers to cut costs in EV transition.”

So in the real world, not the computer model world of the progressive left, EV’s are more expensive to buy, to insure and their will be less people employed building them. Looks like a real win the economy and the country. But really, did anybody really believe an initiative driven by government would work?!?!

And no dealer wants them when they are a few years old

Comment

The market for long range plug in hybrids will grow substantially. Several of the manufacturers are planning on lower cost EVs and plug in hybrids to fill the ZEV demand.

Its early days in the transition and its not possible to change over millions of new vehicles of any type in a few years.

80% vs 20% efficiency for ICEs! That is a huge advantage for electric.

Technology of all types will advance and change whether you like it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        The market for long range plug in hybrids will grow substantially. Several of the manufacturers are planning on lower cost EVs and plug in hybrids to fill the ZEV demand.

Its early days in the transition and its not possible to change over millions of new vehicles of any type in a few years.

EV’s are being imposed by government mandate, that simple.

I have a 1987 GMC 4x4 still use on the farm, runs great, can still get parts. Chuck2, the odds of a 37 year old EV still running are zero, mainly because getting a replacement battery would be impossible. More waste, more cost, less jobs, definitely an improvement in technology, not!!!!!

Comment

The early adapters are paying 20 percent more and depreciation is a lot worse unless you can get multiple years use out of one and battery replacement when and if is a big unknown. I wonder how many are leased and at what known cost and who is going to risk second ownership

Comment

How the hell do you know what batteries will be like in 5 years let alone 37 years? LOL

They can already be recycled and repaired and no doubt will improve dramatically in 37 years.

Did your dad or grandparents know about the internet, smart phones and GPS Auto steer?
            ?
            And the oil sands were developed with generous taxpayer support, subsidies and incentives which continue to this day!

But of course you are a conservative and you want all things to stay the same!

Comment

Chuck2, the battery is an integral part of the structure of the car and specific to that vehicle. There will not be replacement batteries available for 37 year old vehicles made today. Now if the design is changed to a replacement universal battery design, different story. That has not happened yet. And as a conservative, I embrace change that makes sense, not change based on political ideology!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

Does your, I'm better than you, therefore "shame on you", tactic hold water?

Do you not see that the same criticism you level at ICE drivers, because you drive hybrid, is the same criticism that EV drivers could level at you?

In fact, if you were willing to post your ICE used hybrid miles you might find that you are contributing more GHG than an ICE vehicle owner who only drives when needed, not wanted.

Benefit of the doubt here. Perhaps your post is information oriented, therefore, you will post your ICE miles, and mileage.

Comment

Look at Tier 4 Diesels isn’t that the sacrifice to have the ultimate emissions yet the push to go electric beyond that and still have multiple problems with def systems that have been in development for many years at extreme cost

Comment

Someone explain to me why ice/electric hybrids aren't a thing.
                    I don't know anything about cars.
                    It works in trains but no batteries.
                    We'll see if it works in Edison Trucks.
                    The all electric was a false push before the tech was there.
                    I suspect it cost everyone.

Comment

“ 5 years, let alone 37 years” Chuck. The lunar landing July 20, 1969 can’t be duplicated in 2024. Sure makes me want to count on a battery,

Comment

Nobody has been on the moon....50 years and can't get there now? WTF?

Comment

Here is a recent Gallop survey on the demographics of EV owners:

Most Americans Are Not Completely Sold on Electric Vehicles

You have to highlight and Google it.

" U.S. adults with annual household incomes of $100,000 and over are more likely than those in lower income groups to already own or say they may own an EV. This may be a function of the higher price tag on electric versus gas vehicles."

"Americans who worry a great deal about global warming or climate change are most open to owning an electric vehicle now or in the future, with 79% saying they currently own one (5%), are seriously considering it (16%) or would at some point (58%). Conversely, 77% of those who are not at all concerned about climate change say they would never own an EV."

Lots more good data in the survey that you can pick through and get some idea of how successful or not that program is going.

If 79% of the climate emergency believers alredy have an EV are we approaching peak EV?
                          Or does that say only 5% of climate emergency believers have actually layed out the money.
                          That would be because they can't and probably never will be adle to afford one.

I spent 10 days in SoCal recently .
                          We have been going for 25+ yrs as my son used to live there.
                          Haven't been since covid Jan 20.

EV's are more common there as California has the most of any state and is probably the most suited to them with a well developed support system.

After 4 yrs I expected to see a lot more. Pickup trucks still clearly outnumber EV'S and most are just personal use urbanites.
                          As the Gallup survey above shows there is a very limited market upper middle class climate emergency believers.
                          26% of the subsidized buyers earn over $200K.

IMHO the Governments have spent all the money they can print or tax and that will be the end of the virtuous plans to replace ICE vehicles.
                          Taxpayers are now seeing who is going to pay and are getting a peek at what it is going to cost them.

It ain't going to happen.
                          ??????

?
                          Last edited by shtferbrains; Mar 23, 2024, 13:39.

Comment

Longer range plug in hybrid Evs will cover a lot of the needs of suburban drivers who drive relatively short distances on a daily basis. Most people live in cities and most people drive 25 km or less a day.

"In 2016, 12.6 million Canadians reported that they commuted to work by car. For these commuters, the average duration of the commute was 24 minutes, and the median distance to work among those who had a usual workplace was 8.7 kilometres.Feb 25, 2019?"

[url]https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/190225/dq190225a-eng.htm[/url]

Comment

From the Toronto Sun: “Goldstein: Trudeau’s costly carbon tax just the tip of the iceberg.”

Recent Canadian Climate Institute report. Electric vehicle standards will account for 2% to 3% of Canada’s C02 reductions!!! This absolutely amazed me. Our government and governments in other countries are going to outlaw ICE passenger vehicles making transportation more expensive with shorter ranges and put many people out of work to reduce C02 emissions by 2% to 3%!!! Best line in the article, the Canadian government “prefers to treat Canadians like mushrooms by keeping them in the dark and covering them with manure.” What a fantastic statement. But think about that, Chuck2 lectures us on how important EVs are but they are going to turn the whole industry upside down to lower emissions 2% to 3%!! Crazy!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...