• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swing Augers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing Augers

Looking for a new swing auger. Nothing large, roughly a 13 x 75. Looking at Brandt, Meridian, Farm King and AGI. Price is roughly 2.5 to 3 times what I payed for the 13 x 70 Farm King I bought in 2017. Have heard Meridian is having issues with gear boxes, anyone experience this? Sounds like the AGI has certainly upped its game. All thoughts would certainly be appreciated.

There is a post on The Combine Forum regarding Meridian, it doesn’t say what the problems were but poster was not impressed by sounds of it.

Comment

I am surprised, most grain farmers today would own a swing auger. But no opinions, does this mean no one has any problems? I like my farm king but my old 2006 10 x 70 runs much quieter than my 2017 13 x 70. I am of the opinion that the flighting is not true.

Comment

i have never had anything but farm king , going back to the ones with the hyd drive on swing , they have allways worked very good for me , only other make i have used is westfield , co op brings one here when they deliver fertilizer , i think frame is more solid and stable on the farm kings

Comment

Don't make tomorrow's bin size purchase decision be made by the length of your auger today.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            Don't make tomorrow's bin size purchase decision be made by the length of your auger today.
            Great advice. I found myself in that situation this year. Just bought another auger this spring ( another Farmking 1370). Then went shopping for a big flat bottom bin this summer. Almost made the short sighted decision to buy a shorter bin just because the augers would reach. Even though the taller bins got much cheaper per bushel.
            Realized that was dumb logic and bought a longer auger to match a much taller bin.

I look at old farms with long rows of 3 ring 14' bins, or 4 ring 19' bins, and wonder if the farmers logic was to keep using the same auger that fit the wooden bins? So bought the shortest bins available. Either that or else they had lots of strong young sons who really liked shoveling grain.

Comment

Never liked wheatheart load out augers but the new version of swing auger is the best we've had. With the Rigid Spine on top there is NO having to allow for swing when placing in some of our Small bin lids

Comment

Love the Meridian 10 inch load out but did not like the meridian swing auger. They have changed their latest version of swing so maybe its better

Comment

Using a 13x70 Brandt since 2009. Well over a million Bu. Changed bottom auger bearing 3rd year...housing cracked on Chinese OEM, replaced with heavier US made. No other issues. Electric swing no issues

Comment

I look at old farms with long rows of 3 ring 14' bins, or 4 ring 19' bins, and wonder if the farmers logic was to keep using the same auger that fit the wooden bins? So bought the shortest bins available. Either that or else they had lots of strong young sons who really liked shoveling grain.

4-6 ring 14' most common.
                    It sucked shoveling a 19'.
                    I can remember when the first commercial hydraulic sweeps were new. Bought mine half with a neighbor. My new 20' grain box was considered too big by some.
                    Pre-built movable bins. Bought as needed. Everything was smaller, farms, fields, combines. Aeration in infancy. Less bin to cook lol.
                    Considering that a lot of bins were placed anywhere the corrals weren't.
                    2-3 ton trucks. Little space required and a break between shovelling. 2-5 bu quotas.
                    Visionary planning not a common skill. Takes money too.

Comment

Hamloc.
                      Don't know your application.
                      FWIW, a camera, and a quality remote swing drive. Some add on drives shoddy.

I do like the boot at swing pivot. Keeps water out of sump.
                      A 75' would be a special order if you're in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        Hamloc.
                        Don't know your application.
                        FWIW, a camera, and a quality remote swing drive. Some add on drives shoddy.

I do like the boot at swing pivot. Keeps water out of sump.
                        A 75' would be a special order if you're in a hurry.
                        I have talked to Flaman and my local Co-op. Both have basically quit ordering Meridian swing augers. The Co-op gave me the best info as to why. It sounds like an issue with the centre pipe of the flighting not being heavy enough. He had one in the yard that was having the flighting replaced for the second time. Both seem to be a fan of the new AGI X2 series.

Comment

Good to know.

Comment

Oh, and a remote control led light on the swing. Never shining in your mirrors. Awesome.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...