• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar Roadways and Driveways

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
    The reason that this topic interests me is I am about to pour a new driveway and no sooner I do that, something new and revolutionary will surely give me buyer’s remorse.
    Ooo have you seen heated driveways?

Why make energy when you can use it!

Comment

It’s actually odd that we say Down South and Up North, come to think of it. We don’t do that with East and West. I guess it actually Over There South. ???? That’s where I am heading next week, better get it straight. ????

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
        It’s actually odd that we say Down South and Up North, come to think of it. We don’t do that with East and West. I guess it actually Over There South. ???? That’s where I am heading next week, better get it straight. ????
        For what it's worth, I say up north, down south, down east and out west.

Not sure why out west?? Just habit.

Comment

Back on topic.
          Having the pleasure of driving around on glare ice roads lately.
          And having recently learned how much we spend per mile of highway for winter maintenance annually.
          Perhaps there is a case to be made for Blaithin's idea of placing solar panels above the roadway.
          Solar roadways and winter would obviously be a disaster. Imagine ice on top of a sheet of glass. Let alone the abuse from salt and snow plows and drastic temperature gradients along with the extreme loads. If you put any texture on the glass for traction, it would drastically lower the efficiency of the panels.

If we put them above the road, to keep the snow off, and also close in the sides so snow can't blow in( the south side could be panels too). we could cut winter road maintenance almost 100%.

This might even be the answer to recycling. Since as we all know, there is no economically viable way to recycle solar panels. And adding them to to grid is a net negative economically and environmentally, take all of the expired solar panels, and use them to enclose our highways. Save the cost of wiring them into the grid, just use them as prebuilt roofing panels.

Comment

Building new infrastructure over roadways surely isn’t much different than building new infrastructure 200+ km out in the boonies on a piece of land with poor access roads that need improvement before the construction traffic can even use it.

Comment

Again, it’s not much different to what’s put up out in fields.

It wouldn’t be taking land out of production. It wouldn’t be out in the middle of nowhere. It wouldn’t need road improvements just to get into. It would be closer to larger grid opportunities and shouldn’t require so much power infrastructure upgrades.

Really the hierarchy of locations for solar should be rooftops in town, covering parking lots and roadways in suburban areas, and then when all those have been utilized, start investing in far out locations in fields.

The only real reason they’re out in the country is so urban people don’t see them. Just like the compost sites and garbage dumps. Ship it all out to someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil
                Have you priced out building materials lately? The material and engineering required to free span a hwy would be substantial. Snow loads, wind sheer, clearance, water drainage, safety concerns. Concrete piles and heavy beams.... the cost beyond prohibitive. Really silly....
                But unreliable energy could provide the solution for the structures as well.
                We are burying thousands of wind turbine blades every year since they also can't be recycled.
                So, use these as free span supports across highways to support the solar panels, to keep the snow off the highways.
                Might as well get some practical use out of the panels and the windmills before we bury them in a landfill.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                  Again, it’s not much different to what’s put up out in fields.

It wouldn’t be taking land out of production. It wouldn’t be out in the middle of nowhere. It wouldn’t need road improvements just to get into. It would be closer to larger grid opportunities and shouldn’t require so much power infrastructure upgrades.

Really the hierarchy of locations for solar should be rooftops in town, covering parking lots and roadways in suburban areas, and then when all those have been utilized, start investing in far out locations in fields.

The only real reason they’re out in the country is so urban people don’t see them. Just like the compost sites and garbage dumps. Ship it all out to someone else.
                  Absolutely agree 1000%
                  been saying the same thing for years .
                  I hate to say it , but it’s the same thing with the massive illegal immigrant issue in Texas . All the “progressive” states thought it was great ….. until it ended up on their front door . Now they crying like about a bunch of 5 year olds that can’t get their way
                  exactly the same mentality

or should I say mental disorder

Comment

One good solar flare…. They are all toast! Then we will be wondering if the earth is flat… as we burn burn burn!!!
                    Cheers!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...