• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something new I learned today.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something new I learned today.

I was reading an article about 2 blast furnaces that produce steel being shut down and being replaced with Electric Arc furnaces in the U.K., putting 2800 people out of work. What I learned that I didn’t know was Electric Arc furnaces can only take scrap steel and repurpose it, they cannot make so-called virgin steel from iron ore. Will this limit steel availability in the future as green obsessed governments shut down industries like steel making due to there C02 emissions? The government was subsidizing the transition with a 500 million pound subsidy. The government said the closure would lower the U.K.’s C02 emissions by 1.5%.
    Last edited by Hamloc; Jan 19, 2024, 08:37.

What source? Social media? Or credible news sources? Why not post the link?

Comment

If there's a demand, China will fill it.

Comment

Lower UK's CO2 emissions.
        Meanwhile, how much will world CO2 emissions, and actual pollution go up thanks to sending this steel production to China. Or does the UK not exist in the same atmosphere as China? ( Or atmosflat for the flat earther's amongst us).

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          What source? Social media? Or credible news sources? Why not post the link?
          Chuck2, green friendly news source: Reuters.com/business/tata-steel-cut-up-2800-uk-jobs-2024.

Comparison of Electric Arc Furnaces vs. Blast Furnaces.
          servicesteel.org/resources/electric-arc-furnace-vs-blast-furnace.

Happy now?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...