• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Housing Shortage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Housing Shortage

I am curious when I see news of housing shortages in many urban centers and they pan across a subdivision with new construction. It often as not shows massive 3 storey houses with multi car garages.

Are the people in need of housing not looking for a lower point of entry? I realize some will upgrade from a smaller home to a bigger one, but that is a two step process. It takes extra time to fix the problem.

After the war the surge in house building involved smaller simple homes that usually housed families with 3 or 4 or more kids. Wouldn't that be a quicker solution for a segment of the market?

As a side note. I have trouble seeing why anyone needs a 3,000 plus sq ft home unless you have your own Brady bunch.

One of the major contributors to the housing shortage is that construction workers are busy on gubmint green energy scams. Thus the only worker available for private residential construction is those building high end homes. Bringing in millions of low skill immigrants does nothing to help that situation. The solution is obvious: halt all building of wind and solar and reducing immigration to only those with provable skills we are short of in the economy.
    Last edited by ajl; Jan 8, 2024, 10:29.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
      I am curious when I see news of housing shortages in many urban centers and they pan across a subdivision with new construction. It often as not shows massive 3 storey houses with multi car garages.

Are the people in need of housing not looking for a lower point of entry? I realize some will upgrade from a smaller home to a bigger one, but that is a two step process. It takes extra time to fix the problem.

After the war the surge in house building involved smaller simple homes that usually housed families with 3 or 4 or more kids. Wouldn't that be a quicker solution for a segment of the market?

As a side note. I have trouble seeing why anyone needs a 3,000 plus sq ft home unless you have your own Brady bunch.
      Nowadays it's rare to see more than two children in these 3000 sq ft homes and in most cases there will be one child or non.

The new sub-divisions are taking 10000s of acres a year of productive farm land out of production.

As these sub divisions spraw out the surrounding infrastructure can't handle the expansion. The roads in our climate in the West takes a shit kicking every winter and spring because of increased traffic driving inward to city centers.

The issue that makes me wonder the most is why anybody would want a mortage on these types of homes for the rest of their lives.

Comment

I don't know the facts. But if the new immigrants come from huge extended family cultures, those multi-story dwellings have multi paychecks coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

Nowadays it's rare to see more than two children in these 3000 sq ft homes and in most cases there will be one child or non.

The new sub-divisions are taking 10000s of acres a year of productive farm land out of production.

As these sub divisions spraw out the surrounding infrastructure can't handle the expansion. The roads in our climate in the West takes a shit kicking every winter and spring because of increased traffic driving inward to city centers.

The issue that makes me wonder the most is why anybody would want a mortage on these types of homes for the rest of their lives.
          Yes housing is being built but as you say enough are these larger high end ones. In a way it allows the upwardly mobile to sell their smaller supposed more affordable houses to younger families which in turn should free up rental properties. However, the accepted paradigm is right forked. I hate to say it but a robust immigration policy without addressing a future need for housing in the middle of a pandemic is incompetence on the part of government. As well, greed on part of apartment owners gentrifying low cost rentals in my opinion has contributed to homelessness. Houses are being built but it’s like auto manufacturing. Sure they can make a cheap car or truck but they make no money compared to a King Ranch or Escalade and that market is more willing to pay.

Comment

And that's where it's cheap politics on PP's part to say govt can make property magically appear.

Comment

As for greed on apartment owners part. I have yet to hear of an income property make more than 8-9% return over long term. Buy one sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                And that's where it's cheap politics on PP's part to say govt can make property magically appear.
                You can't blame him if he makes out like the solution is simple. It doesn't sell very well if you say " it's complicated" . If you can't state the answer in a sound bite. You need a new answer.

Comment

"The new sub-divisions are taking 10000s of acres a year of productive farm land out of production."

That's GREAT news! Way the F too much /grain/food so prices are SHIT! Pave it all.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...