• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EV discussions/ battery disposal

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EV discussions/ battery disposal

[url]https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/dead-ev-batteries-environmental-cost-critical-minerals-1.7042384[/url]

Interesting how there is basically 0 oversight into the disposal. Seems a bit like this is getting rammed down our throats...

How come you havent posted this article yet sir Chuck?
    im actually surprised cbc has run this article.

EV battery recycling and repurposing is already underway and developing.

And environmental impact and the life cycle and recycling all materials should be at the top of the list of priorities.

And we should be carefully looking at all industries and measuring their carbon foot print and environmental impact.

But why did your concern seem only to start with EV batteries?

We have been mining toxic materials and negatively impacting the environment for centuries. But you are just speaking up now?

It's ironic to see people who criticize governments for too many environmental regulations and have never spoken up before about the environment impact of oil and gas industries, suddenly get all environmental and then want to impose stiffer rules on EVs and renewable energy?

You can see right through them and their self serving fake concern.
    Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 30, 2023, 12:13.

Comment

I guess Chuck if every other industry is supposed to mind their ESG’s then the “green” ones should as well.

Comment

Yes I agree.

But did Danny the dinosaur and her predecessors ever impose a moratorium on oil and gas development to reduce the environmental impact, impose stricter land controls and clean up all the abandoned wells?

Nope!

The hypocrisy, irony and the oil runs thick in Alberta!
        Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 30, 2023, 12:21.

Comment

The reason i posted this was to show the hypocrisy of YOU chuck. You post everything pro ev and renewable but verrrryyyy little concern about the negatives.
          also. Christ sake man ive been trying to be reasonable but you just clap back in the worst ways.
          Believe me sir. I know all about oil and gas. I get it. And it sucks. Money wins and danielle smith is a pure clown.
          You always manage to twist and deflect and defend though
          . Its something to see!

I have Personally told oil and gas to go blow in regards to drilling on my own land that i own and farm. Im no fan of big oil but i understand its need and use in todays world.
          but again... this thread had 0 to do with O+G but in classic leftist ( and righties do the same) its deflect deflect defend..
          But But But oil and gas!

A classic response .

Well played.

Comment

What's the big deal about recycling batteries of any kind.

You do it during exchanges, or take them to the scrappers to be paid by the pound.

What going to change when it comes to battery recycling everybody should be doing regardless, they are worth money.

Comment

Chuck was right to not read the article. In the very second paragraph the author presents this Whopper:
              the transition to EVs — including 250,000 jobs and $48 billion a year added to the nation's economy through the creation of a domestic supply chain.

If this is actually creating net jobs, for products for domestic consumption, a market which is currently being filled by highly efficient Canadian energy, for which the infrastructure is already in place. Then this green fiasco is a net cost to the economy, not a gain as the author claims.

Comment

https://[url]https://www.cbc.ca/news...[/url]

funny thing was that it was even on the state broadcaster !!!
                he couldn't of missed it !
                here I will hotline it so everyone can enjoy .
                welcome back chuck , was pretty quiet around here!
                looks like true dope better top up that MSN buying kitty when CBC prints this kinda stuff , oh my !
                Last edited by Guest; Dec 30, 2023, 14:49.

Comment

Just thinking of the disaster when one of these EV recycling facilities goes up in smoke and superheated explosions… Let alone when the EV burns up in the 10 story parking garages… charging all those EV Batteries at minus 30…

What could possibly go wrong????

Re : Regina Metal Recycling fire burning for days now…

Comment

Someone should figure out how many billions of pounds of batteries will need recycling every year.

at 500 million vehicles in North America and the average battery is 1200 pounds that’s about 600 billion pounds of batteries if all the vehicles are electric, I can’t see a problem with recycling 600 billion pounds of battery’s

I’m a little sarcastic tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
                      The reason i posted this was to show the hypocrisy of YOU chuck. You post everything pro ev and renewable but verrrryyyy little concern about the negatives.
                      also. Christ sake man ive been trying to be reasonable but you just clap back in the worst ways.
                      Believe me sir. I know all about oil and gas. I get it. And it sucks. Money wins and danielle smith is a pure clown.
                      You always manage to twist and deflect and defend though
                      . Its something to see!

I have Personally told oil and gas to go blow in regards to drilling on my own land that i own and farm. Im no fan of big oil but i understand its need and use in todays world.
                      but again... this thread had 0 to do with O+G but in classic leftist ( and righties do the same) its deflect deflect defend..
                      But But But oil and gas!

A classic response .

Well played.
                      Your arguments are not so well played.

Of course we should be paying attention to environmental and social impacts of mining of all types and demanding recycling.

But the hypocrites often only bring this up when it involves materials for EVs while posting on their smart phone that runs on a lithium battery that is made of many of the same materials.

Our whole lives are dependent on mining and extraction.

Why single out EV batteries when you should know that mining and extraction of all types of materials often has negative environmental impacts?

Its the same with windmills killing birds. The hypocrites call them bird killers when windows, vehicles and domestic cats kill hundreds of millions more on scale far greater than windmills.

But you never hear a peep about them from the antiscience hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post

Your arguments are not so well played.

Of course we should be paying attention to environmental and social impacts of mining of all types and demanding recycling.

But the hypocrites often only bring this up when it involves materials for EVs while posting on their smart phone that runs on a lithium battery that is made of many of the same materials.

Our whole lives are dependent on mining and extraction.

Why single out EV batteries when you should know that mining and extraction of all types of materials often has negative environmental impacts?

Its the same with windmills killing birds. The hypocrites call them bird killers when windows, vehicles and domestic cats kill hundreds of millions more on scale far greater than windmills.

But you never hear a peep about them from the antiscience hypocrites.
                        “Anti science hypocrites” Why is it that people who disagree with the supposed progressive narrative are anti science hypocrites!! You constantly insult people like myself who are not big supporters of wind or solar and call us flat earthers. Here is an excerpt from the AESO annual report. It states what I have always maintained and that is that during periods of highest demand, that being during extreme cold in the winter and hot sunny weather in the summer, wind generation performs poorly due to the lack of wind in this type of weather pattern. But I am the one that is anti science, tough to figure.

Comment

We all know wind and solar are intermittent. Nobody is disagreeing with that.

But they can still provide a whole lot of low cost electricity that can be directly used, stored in EVs, pumped hydro, compressed air, ammonia and hydrogen. That reduces the use of polluting fossil fuels.

But you continue to assert they have no value or don't work?

Even when Alberta is building more and more capacity and getting more and more of its generation from renewables?

Comment

Sounds like somebody got a spent lithium battery in their x-mas sock.

New year, new hopes.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                              We all know wind and solar are intermittent. Nobody is disagreeing with that.

But they can still provide a whole lot of low cost electricity that can be directly used, stored in EVs, pumped hydro, compressed air, ammonia and hydrogen. That reduces the use of polluting fossil fuels.

But you continue to assert they have no value or don't work?

Even when Alberta is building more and more capacity and getting more and more of its generation from renewables?
                              I didn’t say they don’t work. What I said was that they don’t produce electricity when it is most needed.

Here is what I see is the crux of the problem and I will compare it to combines. I already own a combine, runs on diesel, will work anytime 24 hours a day as long as there is diesel in the tank and nothing is broke. Environmentalists would have me buy 2 more combines. One that works best between 10 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, solar powered so doesn’t work after 5 pm in the fall harvesting months. So then they would have me buy one that is powered by wind. So some days it will run, other days it won’t. So when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing, I pull the diesel one into the field. So even though I have used less diesel it took 3 combines to do the job of one. But I am anti science!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...