• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poilievre’s Housing Hell video offers a lousy, analysis of our housing crisis

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poilievre’s Housing Hell video offers a lousy, analysis of our housing crisis

Crypto Turd has such simple solutions for housing.

Even though he was responsible for when Harper cut funding to housing. Oh yeah lets forget about your own crappy record on housing when you were in government.

He is so busy congratulating himself in the house of commons on his self declared "brilliant" video that he had the airs of a over confident teenager.

Voters are going to be really disappointed once they see that Crypto can't easily solve the housing crisis.

Gary Mason puts it in perspective.

Poilievre’s Housing Hell video offers a lousy, dime-store analysis of our housing crisis

Gary Mason ([url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/authors/gary-mason/)National[/url] affairs columnist
    Published Yesterday Updated 6 hours ago

"For instance, Mr. Poilievre zeroes in on high government borrowing between 2020 and 2022. This led to inflation, which led to higher interest rates, which led to higher borrowing costs. He doesn’t mention that those years were beset by a pandemic, during which governments worldwide were borrowing to help those who’d lost their jobs.

He doesn’t mention that if it weren’t for those government cheques, thousands wouldn’t have been able to pay their mortgages or their rents. Many would have lost their homes. No, the federal Conservative Leader doesn’t touch that one with a 10-foot pole.

In Mr. Poilievre’s world, the most complex issues have the simplest solutions – other politicians are just too stupid to see them. For instance, he will get rid of the “gatekeepers” driving up housing costs – bureaucrats working in cities and municipalities who impose unnecessary and costly conditions on new home construction.

His common-sense solution? Withhold federal infrastructure grants until construction is complete and people are living in the homes. Why didn’t anyone think of that before? Well, maybe because cities and municipalities need that grant money to build the infrastructure necessary to build new homes. If you withhold it, it will only reduce the number of homes that can get built.

Andy Yan, director of Simon Fraser University’s City Program and one of the country’s top urban analysts, told me it’s hard not to be impressed with the quality of the Housing Hell video. It smartly focuses on the complete decoupling of house prices with income, he said. But it is clearly an outsider’s view of the situation, one that ignores complexities that can only be seen and appreciated from the inside of the housing conundrum.

“The video is someone offering simple answers to intractable problems,” Mr. Yan told me. “I would say: Beware of false idols.”

The video has been viewed more than four million times as of this writing. Many of those who’ve watched it are, I’m sure, people whose dream of owning a home seems to become more distant by the day.

The type of people whose desperation might make them gullible enough to believe Pierre Poilievre ([url]https://www.theglobeandmail.com/topics/pierre-poilievre/)has[/url] all the answers, and that he will help them to live happily ever after."

Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 6, 2023, 08:20.

Here is some prime video content from Crypto Turd you are not going to see in a video anytime soon! LOL

And this is the guy who thinks he knows how to solve the housing crisis? Its so simple! Kinda like him!
    Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 6, 2023, 08:13.

Comment

The liberals, paid media and usefull idiots are going into panic mode

Comment

But you are okay with a prime minister who recently said crypto currency would fight inflation? Dumb and dumber with dumber at the helm?

Comment

I shouldnt comment as i havent watched the video...

but my 2 cents are this.
          Where is the housing crisis located?
          Our small oil/ gas community here north of edmonton currently has 60 homes for sale. With the majority being under 350 K. Every single local business is looking for workers. Every single one i go into.. ill ask...be it home hardware to tim hortons doesnt have enough staff. There are oil and gas companies hiring shlubs from anywhere they can (rather than local) in order to fill positions. Trying to find a truck driver? HA. Mechanic? Yep... dodge dealer brought in a guy from cape breton who barely knew how to change oil but blatantly lied on his resume.
          timmys timmyshalf page add in the local rag for front of house staff. Local manufacturing plant that processes plant fibres is offering 35$/ hr to start.
          AND its the same story all over alberta. Maybe we are an anomaly ( we probably are due to our strong economy) but i honestly ask WHERE is the housing crisis?
          We have a k to 4 school, a 5 to 12 school.. buses than run to a french immersion k to 9 school 30 mins away, buses that run to a very large highschool offering more options, a very good hospital, 3 doctors, a swimming pool, incredible indoor arena/ rec/ gym/ and cultural centre with curling rink.. an rcmp station. A sobeys with bakery and butcher...various restaurants ( 4 that serve chinese food..lol) . 30 mins to edmonton and less than 20 to a wallymart and large population centre in fort saskatchewan.
          again i ask... where is the housing shortage?

When i read of people in toronto having to pay 800 k for a bungalow only to have to commute 1 hr in both directions... i think, but why?
          i understand the allure.. i do.
          ive lived in some large cities... edmonton...vancouver.. new york..But at some point we need to look at the housing crisis and call it what it is. Its a housing crisis in some specific locations and some of those locations havent done alot to help themselves to deal with it.
          i know this is a simple solution ( move to the small towns.. to the country.. ) but you can buy a very livable home here with room for a family ( not just a cookie cutter townhome on the outskirts of Edmonton) for well under 400 K. Or how about 10 acres of land and a very nice house? Room for a garden.... there ya go! Lower your food cost.

I dont know. Eventually it all comes down to choices on how to live your life.. if you want uber eats convenience and higher taxes then by all means... jump into the 3k/ month mortgage of a big city!
          Yayyyyy

Comment

Also chuck, if we currently dont have dumb and dumber with dumber at the helm then i really... dont know what your definition of dumb would be. Trudeau is an absolute mess. Guy has so many idiotic comments .. dressups.. holidays... guy cant keep a wife...
            Im no PP fan..but even he couldnt be THIS bad? Right?
            i dunno.. careful what you wish for.
            Also , i notice you bash PP alot and parrot mostly cbc articles. But what is YOUR genuine thought on how to change/ affect/ help some of these policies? How have the liberals not crushed us in debt with 0 accountability or even attempting to reign in spending? What have they dont to help the housing crisis other than, ultimately, lower the difficulty it was to borrow money ( stress test) and make it easier for people to drown under the debt of their mortgage and now, complain about it when mortgage rates went from " basically free @ 2% " to a more historic rate of 4 to 6%? THAT is what ultimately drove up housing prices ( and a shortage in the large cities) . When you make money free this is what happens...... ( see; 1 million for a tractor...1.2 for a combine)

Comment

In a recent trip to Ontario I was telling a small restaurant owner about housing prices and the available jobs in Saskatchewan. He had been a truck driver. He seemed interested. But the problem is if you don't have the means and desire to move it doesn't happen. That said more and more people are discovering that they can have a good life in a more rural parts of Canada. But many want meaning full jobs that fit their skills and interests not just good paying jobs. And they also need a job for a spouse. The reality is many people and families are not willing to give up their friends and family and uproot their lives to move to a rural community far away from home and to a culture they don't know or appreciate the same way we do.

Comment

goalieguy847 - Sounds like a nice town you have there. Everything that is needed. Apparently the Peace is the only place in Alberta where rural is growing. No houses for sale in our nearby town and acreages or quarters are getting snapped up quickly. Same problems with workers wanted though.

But get this. According to a 2022 CMHC report Canada’s Housing Supply Shortages: Estimating What Is Needed To Solve Canada’s Housing Affordability Crisis, by 2030 Canada requires 3,500,000 homes in addition to current construction levels to restore housing affordability. Since no one wants to leave the city, I guess soviet style apartments will suffice. The CEO of CMHC claims that Cabinet has NO PLAN to solve the housing crisis. “There is not a plan,” Bowers testified at the Senate national finance committee yesterday.

But hey, let's not give Pierre a chance to correct course. When conservatives are in power they spend all their time correcting things - and then the dippers kick them out in favor of soviet style government.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  In a recent trip to Ontario.
                  Did you ride your bicycle, or paddle your canoe to Ontario?
                  As a dedicated climate crusader, I trust that you didn't fly in a CO2 emitting jet.
                  Or were you on anti-fossil fuel/climate related business, in which case it is acceptable to burn fossil fuels?
                  Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Dec 6, 2023, 12:18.

Comment

Perhaps we should follow California's lead. After all, governments have such an excellent track record of solving problems efficiently and cost-effectively.
                    Los Angeles, California spent $67 million on an initiative to house the 46,000 homeless people in the city.
                    One year later, only 255 homeless people have been housed through the program.
                    A rate of $263k per person.

Comment

Money laundering schemes keep on going. Much like the Clintons save Haiti project , nothing ever got done with the multi millions , simply just disappeared into thin air

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                        In a recent trip to Ontario I was telling a small restaurant owner about housing prices and the available jobs in Saskatchewan. He had been a truck driver.
                        I'm trying to envision how this discussion must have gone. Would have been fun to be a fly on the wall.
                        Chuck acting as ambassador for moving west, trying to convince a former trucker.
                        As a trucker and restaurant owner, I'm sure the discussion started out with berating him for his capitalist viewpoints. Scolded him for having his restaurant on stolen land, and that the restauranteur didn't start the encounter with an acknowledgment and apology. Complained that there were only two choices of bathroom in his restaurant, and that the staff wasn't diverse enough.
                        Then this poor fellow would have had to endure endless ranting and raving about curly and Danny, with every sentence punctuated by LOL.
                        Not to mention listening to Chuck's flat Earth conspiracy theories.
                        This unfortunate fellow was probably considering moving before ambassador Chuck talked him out of it.
                        This might be a good business venture for you chuck, perhaps the government of Saskatchewan would pay you to stay home next time, instead of scaring off potential new citizens.

Comment

You definitely have chuckroach figured out!

Comment

A5 lives in his own little fictional fantasy world where instead of discussing the issues of the day and making a substantive contribution, he imagines what other people are saying and thinking.

Instead he should put his talent to good use and help his comrade Big Lentil in the Canada Flat as a Pancake thread!
                            Last edited by chuckChuck; Dec 7, 2023, 08:50.

Comment

How did you travel to Ontario during a climate emergency, without using fossil fuels?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...