• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land Use Act?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Use Act?

Kind of interested in how this is going? Not sure if I understand what they are trying to do in Edmonton?
    I assume it basically is going to lay out some kind of formula for where and how developement can take place?
    So is it like if you get zoned "primary agriculture" or "Ag B"...you can kiss developement goodbye as "long as the grass grows and the wind blows"...or what?
    I ask this because I wonder if it is going to be similar to Red Deer counties "land use policy" where if you were zoned Ag B you were condemned to being a peasant for the rest of your days!....Or at least that what it started out like...until the county violated its own rules...and then it was "Look out Matilda" and is pretty well wide open again!
    I also wonder how respectful of the rules the government will be when the oil company comes calling? Will it be "We don't want no stinking hog barns" but "We need industry" and sure you boys can build that sour gas plant?
    Who will decide? Will the "land board" have precidence over the EUB or the Surface Rights Board?....Why do I get the distinct feeling the Land Use thing will be used to mainly screw the old farmer while letting the slickers operate pretty well however they want?

Don't prejudge this...it ain't here yet.

Comment

cowman, the Land Use Policy Framework is in its' infancy. I know that the Premier has indicated that the development of a Land Use Framework is one of his priorities, and there certainly has been a significant amount of discussion over the past few months.

Cities have been involved in the discussions and certainly have a vested interest as they will certainly want to see orderly growth on their boundaries because in all likelihood those areas will eventually be annexed.

According to my sources there is to be some sort of PAPER on this framework ready for review by June. The priority it is given by the various ministries involved will dictate how soon draft legislation is contemplated. This is a long involved process, and certainly one that interests me a great deal.

Comment

cowman, I just wanted to add the following. There are currently Provincial Land Use Policies, but they have no TEETH, and the understanding I have of the proposed Land Use Framework is that it will have policies that are directives vs nice little words like ( municipalities are encouraged to, vs Shall or Must).
        i don't know whether or not it will become an ACT. How far this framwork will go an what it will encompass will be interesting.

Comment

I will echo Cowman's concerns. (If I understand his comments correctly?)

There are all kinds of landowners around Calgary who are setting themselves, (and their kids), up for the rest of their lives by selling some questionable land to land investors/developers.

If my kids want to sell out when I am gone, will they be told "too bad, it's just farm land now and you can't develop it or sell it for further development"???

I am no fan of the speed and reach of this development right now, but I sure don't want some beaurocrat telling my wife or kids what they can or can't do with the propery that has been in the family for generations.

Comment

Thankyou for the info coppertop. I thought the plan was to push something through in the spring, so am glad they are taking their time and hopefully doing the right thing?
            Personally I think the way agriculture has been going the last several years, the province might be better off if they paved the whole darned thing and put up a parking lot!
            Now having said that...I am excited about all the new bio stuff and think it could be the real meal deal to put some money(and hope) back into agriculture?
            Was just reading a small blurb the other day about some of the exciting research into bio fuels and bio products. We've only scratched the surface of this thing! The possibilities are almost endless.
            I look forward to the day when farmers can get back to raising crops with a real value...instead of creating huge surplusses of meat that sell for less than production costs!

Comment

cowman, the one thing that became clear as we held our recent discussions over the proposed Land Use Framework was the need for consistent land use zonings across the province. The suggestion that some of us made was for the Province to set zoning, with a list of discretional uses in each zone, with municipalities still responsible for approval for discretional uses.

I am a bit concerned that the mindset of government may be leaning toward regional planning again, which this government did away with in the 90's. I know I am looking forward to any 'draft' document, which I am sure will be put to the public for consultation before any real legislation is contemplated.

Comment

coppertop: There might be less build up of differences and resentment between rural/urban jurisdictions if the old 'regional planning commissions' were re-established.

When cowman's favourite politician, Steve West did away with the regional planning scenario, he stated that they were getting in the way of business and the snarls and the 'red tape' involved in their processes slowed down development.

Perhaps he was right, however I never did put much trust in Steve's judgement.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...