• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering about politics?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering about politics?

A whole lot of Albertans have become "instant Tories"...myself included! I wonder how many are in anyway committed to the Tory party?
    Personally the only reason I'm an "instant Tory" is so I can vote for Morton! Why? Because I believe he will stand up for real Conservative values and protect us from a raid by the east!
    If Morton loses it will be back to the Alberta Alliance Party for me!
    In a way it would be good if Dinning wins, as I believe that would really help the Alberta Alliance party in the next election?
    And I've never concealed the fact that I am a committed seperatist who believes in an independent west with no ties to Canada, so I'm sure I see things differently than most on here.

cowman, I agree with you 100% I became an instant tory to vote for Morton, but in my usual life I am also a seperatist. There are at least two of us here.

Comment

Well I suspect ivebinconned just might have some seperatist tendencies LOL!
      Sure is a dirty cold day out here in central Alberta! Started feeding the cows on the 24th and they sure are "inhaling" the feed!

Comment

cowman, explain for me how Morton is going to tilt at windmills in Ottawa with no support in caucus, and according to him doesn't need any ? That doesn't sound like a team player to me, and thankfully in our type of governance the leader is not a force unto himself, but must receive caucus support for budget and legislative issues.

Comment

Well lets face it if Morton gets in I would suggest your average Albertan has pretty well sent a message? The message would be: We're tired of this poor government and we're tired of cowtowing to Ottawa?
          I would suspect there just might be an "AHA" moment for a few of the old boys in Edmonton? And they might get on the bandwagon before they get thrown off?
          Never doubt a politicians ability to go with the flow...not many have principles set in stone!
          But then maybe we won't have to worry about it? Maybe we'll get more of the same poor government and status quoe come this weekend?
          Or maybe we're witnessing another of those "Alberta Revolutions" where the people change the focus completely? When a government gets old and tired, with no new ideas, its time to make some changes? Do Dinning or Stelmach offer anything new?

Comment

Coppertop: I've told you that if Morton doesn't get in, I won't be voting Tory? Now I wonder...if Stelmach...or Dinning don't get in...would you go to the Liberals or NDP? Seems to me you might be a pretty "Red Tory" and would be more comfortable with a Kevin Taft or Dave Bracconier than a Ted Morton?

Comment

I have never voted Liberal in my life, and I won't in the future.

I think that anyone supporting Morton for his anti Ottawa tendencies needs to remember that he and Harper were blood brothers in the Reform party, and it is Harper that is the spook according to Morton !!!

I don't want to see US style politics in Alberta, we have seen Bush perform his little general act for the past six years, and now he hasn't got any clout at all. Is this the type of leader we want in Alberta, or do we want one who can pull the party together and look after Alberta's interests within Canada?

Comment

Seems to me that if you go looking for trouble, you'll find it. Yes, everyone remembers the late 70's and what happened then and yes, we should never forget it.

What I don't believe is that we need to take an adversarial "in your face" attitude in order to protect our interests. You can still be assertive without being aggressive.

One thing that I will say for coppertop is that she will continue to support Ed whether he gets in or not. Since when does it mean that if you're candidate does not get in you vote for another party?

Talk about the politicians being fickle!!!!

Comment

The other thing that I would add is that in this time of high economic growth, do we really need a leader that is a newbie to the whole scene?

Anyone remember a certain newbie Alliance leader?

Comment

Interestingly enough I supported Ed when he decided to run as an MLA, not because I lived in his constituency but because I knew he was and is an honorable man.

If anyone has noticed Dinning and Morton are busy following each others tracks and taking pot shots at every opportunity. Ed, meanwhile, is calling supporters, talking to potential new supporters and no-one has heard him say anything derogatory about either of his opponents !!

Comment

Actually I've hardly heard Ed say anything! Dinning says its business as usual. Morton says we need to try some new things. Ed says lets tinker with the old stuff!
                      Now I've never tried to hide the fact I am an "instant Tory"? I would like to think the PC party can become a true Conservative party instead of the "liberal lite" party it has been ever since Lougheed? I really don't think I would have any interest in voting for a party that was even further to the left than Ralph was!
                      Sorry, call me an old Alberta red neck but I want a party that stands for family values, lower taxes, equal opportunity, democratic reform, protects the Alberta poeoples rights and personal responsibility? Not a party that continues to ignore reality, spends recklessly, cowtows to Ottawa, and works out back room deals with the big boys? Sorry...I'm supportin' Morton!

Comment

The statement "cowtows to Ottawa" is an interesting one. Would it be possible for you to let us/me know what you mean by it?

I'm guessing that being a separatist, your definition is likely different than what others' definition might be.

Comment

Linda, cowman is an instant Tory, and of course is only there for one reason, to put Morton in the Premier's office. If Morton does win this leadership he will be so in debt to the federal MP's that they will have him on a very short leash !!!!! Alberta has not cowtowed to Ottawa, they have paid their transfer payments and a Morton government will do the same.

As far as family values goes, one would have to travel along way to find anyone more devoted to his family, his church and his province than Ed Stelmach. In 20 years of public service both as a county councillor and Reeve and an MLA and Cabinet Minister there has never been even a whisper of scandal. He is not in the media shooting off his mouth like Morton and Dinning, he doesn't get involved in that style of politics.

Morton's policies, if implemented will ensure that the economy of Alberta slows to a crawl, thankfully he only has two supporters in caucus, one who has had all sorts of cloudy conduct in his own constituency regarding nomination meetings etc., and the other certainly is not on the same page as his own constituency, and in fact promised one of the other two candidates his full support as late as last week!!

Comment

Actually I see it as a good thing Morton is seen as an outsider? Do we really want someone who owes every man and his dog in the PC caucus? Aren't these the same guys who were on cruise control the last several years...or in reality on a spending binge that is not sustainable?
                            Cowtowing to Ottawa: Hmmmm...maybe we should learn from Quebec? Collect our own taxes. Set up our own pension fund. Have a provincial police force. In other words, rely on ourselves? Don't be slaves to Ottawa? Sure seems to be working for Quebec?
                            Ralph liked to huff and puff...but never really did anything?
                            Transfer payments...are they written in stone? Well no they actually aren't...witness many provinces(and the former Liberal government!) calling for "resource revenue" to be included in the mix! Jim Dinning has said he has no problem with that! Morton says "no way" and Ed...well I'm not sure where Ed stands on that...in fact I don't think many people know where Ed stands on anything???...but don't worry he's a nice guy!
                            It is interesting that Lorne Calvert(Sask) is dead against resource revenue being included? If included, it would take a lot of money out of Saskatchewan! Saskatchewan is now a "have" province...including resource revenue in the transfer mix would mean they would really pay through the nose!
                            Dalton McGuinty wants to change the transfer equation, he feels Ontario is paying too much? Do you think Alberta could find an ally there? BC, Alberta, Ontario and Saskatchewan are all "have" provinces...they are also the provinces experiencing growth and stress on their infrastructure? How much sense does it make to send more money to areas that are losing population and investment? Pave some more back roads in Quebec while we can't afford to fix the potholes out here?
                            The whole idea that nothing can change in this country...because that is how it has always been...is really ridiculous? With a Harper Conservative government in Ottawa, vowing to change how we run this country...and a real Conservative government in Alberta prepared to help that agenda...the possibilities are there? Jim Dinning is not going to help a Harper government and I doubt an Ed Stelmach will either.
                            I suspect the people of Alberta, and Canada for that matter, are getting pretty sick of government waste and boondoggles? All this unecessary drivel about everything under the sun? We need to get our governments lean and mean and doing the real job...providing an environment where commerce can thrive? Commerce pays the bills for everyone...including all the wingding government parasites!
                            I was quite happy that Harper cut $5 million from NAC-SOW(status of women)? They had to close most of their offices! Good I say! We won't have to hear the bleatings of these old professional communist agitators!

Comment

WEll, don't be too surprised to see a couple of bus loads of university students from Ontario out here helping Morton, so do you think he will OWE Ontario if he gets in ???????

If you have attended any of the forums you would know where Ed stands on issues, and the fact that he is a decent, honorable man should not be something to snicker about. But of course we need someone from the US to run Alberta, don't they know more about everything than we do, including the Beef industry ???

What is Morton's agriculture policy....I haven't heard anything from him in that regard. He has insulted Edmonton, so they aren't being encouraged to support him. He has Muslims and Vietnamese in Calgary on his bandwagon but the leaders of the Muslim community in Edmonton are staying away in droves.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...