• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The barley plebicite?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The barley plebicite?

When Strahl conducts this plebicite on barley remaining under the single desk will it show how the different provinces voted? Would it make sense that if Alberta voted to end the monopoly, while Saskatchewan and Manitoba farmers voted to retain the monopoly, that the simple solution might be to change the Designated Area to only Saskatchewan and Manitoba?
    Wouldn't that in reality make everyone happy?
    The farmers in Saskatchewan and Manitoba could continue with the CWB and those in Alberta could join the likes of BC, Ontario and Quebec in marketing their product as they see fit?
    Saskatchewan and Manitoba have indicated they intend to hold seperate plebicites on the future of the single desk? Do you think it would be a good idea if Alberta did also? And should the federal government acknowledge the results and let the provinces leave or stay within the Designated Area?

And call it half a single desk? The excluded areas don't amount to squat for exports and that is why they are outside the designated area. It is all or nothing from here on in.

Comment

Well I don't really understand that line of thinking? There would still be the CWB single desk for Saskatchewan and Manitoba and they could reap what they see as the benifits of the CWB while Alberta farmers could deal with the Cargills and ADMs on an individual basis? I think it would be the best of both worlds, where every province would be happy and content with their marketing system?

Comment

Great idea Cowman!Do you do fence contracting also?Am thinking we`ll have to build something out here to keep the rats out?Kinda like what Bush is doing along Mexican border!!

Comment

Yea I do fence contracting! But come on...half the guys in the oil patch are from Saskatchewan...and they are good men, everyone of them! Give me a good old Saskachewan farm boy anyday! I think they check their politics at the border or something?

Comment

Yes I hear you!`Whatever they`re doing in NDP land they gotta keep doing it` a friend of mine once said........`cause Alberta needs the best!!!!`

Comment

Nobody checks thier politics at the border.
              Here's a few points to ponder:
              - In most Sask. election more people vote against the NDP than for them. Just a guess but I would say 55% don't vote NDP. ie. 40 - 45% vote NDP
              - In the rural areas the percent NOT voting NDP is likely 75% or more
              - Right now we have a liberal party which is bound and determined to split the vote and assure us another 4 years of NDP gov't

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...