• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This bugs me!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This bugs me!

I briefly dropped in to Agritrade(Red Deer)... I needed a trailer...and did the quick tour.
    Anyway to make a long story short, stopped into the "Harvest Pavillion" or whatever and got talking with the PFRA person? She was all gung-ho on the "Environmental Farm Plan"?
    Now we did this garbage waste of time excercise. Not because we wanted any money out of it...but because the boy( who is progrssive, as opposed to my regressive?) decided it was worthwhile!
    Well I guess I told that girl what I thought of the whole thing! Wasted money for nothing! Piss money up a rope and for what? Government...what can you say?

Moan, moan,moan - if you didn't want to do it and didn't want the money why participate?
    I did it last spring and found it a reasonable attempt to deliver a self assesing environmental impact analysis of your business. It's also "money for old rope" - I enjoyed fencing a riparian area and adjoining upland pasture this summer knowing that I was getting paid directly for my time as well as a lot of the materials used on a project I would have undertaken anyway. Some folk are never happy.

Comment

I go to my first meeting on the 27th. Those of you that have been through this what do I have to look forward to?

Comment

Well you get to go over your land cover, slope of the land, soil types etc. You write down your fuel/chem storage and deal with your wells etc. Mostly common sense stuff?
        We were about as good as it gets other than a couple of things, like a couple of old water wells, one wooden fuel stand, springs not fenced. We fixed all those problems but did it on our own, not with government money. Apparently, now they are giving out money for sprayers and advanced GPS equipment! So it might be worth your while?

Comment

Those going through the process will certainly be more aware of areas they need to improve within their operation.

Comment

Took the course with my son- was nervous about consequences,etc.- now brag it up to everyone and encourage them to participate.

Comment

Rodjam - it is merely a "snapshot" of what your farm looks like at a particular moment. It isn't meant to compare you to your neighbors or anyone else in Alberta, nor is it a "reportcard". What it does do is have you look at every aspect of your farming operation from an environmental standpoint.

Cowman - a bit like shooting the messenger isn't it?!?!?! The poor girl would have had absolutely NOTHING to do with bringing the EFP to Alberta and would merely have been doing her job. Nor would she have any power to change anything.

Comment

in my mind even coming out with the knowlege of just 1 thing on your farm that you can and probably did find out that needs attention on your farm was worth it. I learnt things on fuel storage for example that could save me money and make it better for the environment! win win situation. I find it hard to believe that you learnt very little. If that is the case either you didn't put much of an effort into it, or you should run for PM or start teaching as you must know everything!

Comment

also what did you spend money on as EFPs don't cost anything to do?

Comment

The process is voluntary and free. It can alert you to any problems that you may have - and will provide financial assistance to put things right. On the whole a well organised approach, and worth the participation.

Comment

when i here anout anything to do with environment protection, my hair stands up on the back of my nexk, at one time it may have been a good thing but now they just want to know to dam much of ones business so they can charge you down the road, nothing is confidential anymore, i trust no one when it comes to government any more,sighned disgruntled farmer. ps i know i will be told not to bother with it if i don't agree with it, and that is exactly what i plan to do, just giving my opinion, hope everyone has a great day

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...