• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shakeup....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shakeup....

Calgary Sun

September 27, 2006

Shakeup overdue
    By ROY CLANCY

It might eventually become known as the three days that shook Canada.

At least, that's the implied intent of the "Calgary Congress," an event that kicks off Friday and features such political heavyweights as Ralph Klein, Preston Manning and senator-elect Bert Brown.

According to the advance spiel, the Calgary Congress will be akin to the famed "Western Assembly" that launched the Reform party in 1987.

Except, instead of launching a new party, "we're trying to launch an idea," says Link Byfield, chairman of the Citizens Centre for Freedom and Democracy, which has spent the last 18 months organizing the event.

That idea, roughly put, is to come up with a set of national principles that will reshape Canada and "stop Ottawa from ruining our country" by meddling in provincial affairs.

Since Prime Minister Stephen Harper has vowed to open discussions on constitutional questions, it is imperative for influential thinkers to come up with a "bold new vision of federalism," says Byfield.

The push for reform must come from the provinces, but the only province that knows what it wants constitutionally is Quebec, says the senator-elect, one-time Sun columnist and publisher of the now-defunct Western Report.

"None of the Western provinces have ... coherently said here is the federation we need."

With such diverse political voices as Klein and Manning, some intriguing ideas are likely to emerge.

There's even a western separatist thrown into the mix, who will argue a viable independence movement in Alberta is the strongest argument to be made for national reform.

But, Byfield emphasizes "the focus of the event is very federalist. We're not here to promote separatism."

Since Klein steered clear of constitutional controversies as premier, it will be interesting to hear his retrospective views on the federal/provincial division of powers. He has never been known to mince words.

Byfield doesn't pull any punches either. It's time for the feds to back out of provincial jurisdictions, he says, because federal power has expanded beyond anything intended by the Constitution.

"If you look at the last federal election, almost every promise the Martin Liberals made was in areas of exclusive provincial jurisdiction -- cities, social programs, child care, infrastructure and social development," Byfield says.

"Unless you have a constitutional restriction of some kind -- formally in the Constitution or not -- and it's respected, it's very hard to cut the cost of government in this country because of overlap and competition.

"If the whole idea of government is responsible government, but nobody knows who is in charge of what, both levels of government can blame the other."

While Harper is receptive to change, the initiative must come from the provinces, which have the clout to force change on Ottawa if they can only focus on a common goal, Byfield says.

That's more likely now than ever before as not only Alberta and Quebec, but Ontario and other provinces have begun to realize the contradictions within Confederation, he contends.

"Let's face it, the federal power Stephen Harper now holds in his hands is not the solution, it's the problem," reads the promotional preamble to the Calgary Congress.

"Nobody understands this better than the Harper himself, but politically, he can't give up power ... unilaterally. He needs to be pushed."

Byfield admits there might be a "centralist, kneejerk" reaction to to the ideas put forth, but those outside the national Tory party shouldn't fret about it.

"We can't waste too much time worrying about what makes Easterners nervous."

The conference will force the discussion into the open, into media and political discussion, he says.

"As long as our resolutions are clear, our message consistent and logical, and sometimes a bit obnoxious, I think we can win our argument."

But, Byfield cautions that if the other provinces ignore the message, Alberta and its next premier should be prepared to take forceful action.

"We've left the impression on Eastern Canada that we like to whine and bellyache and act paranoid, but we don't actually want to do anything," he says.

"I can't blame them for feeling that way because that's actually our pattern."

-------------------------------------------
    For more information on the Calgary Congress, or to register, go to www.CalgaryCongress.ca

Another bunch of idiots who think that THEY have the solution for a non-exitant problem that is holding the 'WEST' back.

These old 'has-beens' and new wannabees are trotting ou their old tired ideas that were baloney and are still baloney.

When are they going to give it up, enjoy their rich retirements and spend some time fishing or drinking or whatever these old geezers do?

Comment

Despite the disparaging remarks by wilagro I suspect the three persons mentioned(Bert Brown, Preston Manning, and yep even Ralph) are men of principle? Well...maybe you can argue about Ralph? LOL...although I always believed Ralph really did care about the Marthas and Henries of Alberta?
      Is this thing a waste of time? I don't know...but I sure as hell know something is really wrong in this country! And someone has to say that!
      I don't know about any of you on this site but I was raised to believe I was a free human being, with responsibilities to be sure, but with rights that no one but God could take away!
      And now in this country we are being told we must respect every pervert and degenerate and every sort of trash under the sun? We are told we must be "tolerant" and pay for every piece of garbage that wants to live here!
      Maybe these old boys are the "old world" but personally I think they were good people...the kind who made Alberta unique?

Comment

cowman: It's all humbug my friend. Congress...my foot. These turkeys want more power that the constitution provides for. In essence, they want SEPARATION because Ottawa is not going to give them the powers THEY want.

Oh well, it will keep them occupied for a day or so. In the meantime the rest of us will carry as usual, working and playing and being quite content to live in this wonderful country of Canada and be thankful that Alberta is part of it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...