• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power Outages

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Outages

Don't know if any of you have experienced power outages this summer or not. The power has been off several times over the past couple of months, tonight its been off for two hours and no idea of when it will be restored. According to the message Fortis has on their call in number there is a major power outage in three townships.
    Laptop is coming in handy !

Power has never been off. I wonder if it might be due to severe lightning?
    By the way, farms two miles north of us got hailed out 100%! Must be doing something right!
    Actually we live in what is basically a hail free zone! Never had anymore than minor hail damage in over 100 years"
    Great grandfather was either lucky or smart?

Comment

We regularly encounter power surges, but the power doesn't go out that often.

This past hail storm (Aug 10)hit us very hard and we were left with some significant damage. House will have to get new siding, new roof on the west side of the house, windows on the west side of house smashed out. Lost 8 lambs to the hail - 120 plus km winds, loonie sized hail - the poor little things didn't stand too much of a chance.

Our trees sustained significant damage; so much so many of them will not come back. It is very sad to see 100 years of growth wiped out like that. One of the best features of our farm yard was the tall spruce trees. The poplar, birch and others will come back and there is no doubt that the carigana will be back stronger than ever. We will have to wait until next year to see what comes back.

Still, we are very grateful that the damage wasn't worse as many were hit extremely hard.

Just a "gentle" reminder of how little we are in control.

Comment

I had significant hail damage here two years ago. I had put new siding on the house the fall before, but after the hail got through it needed to be replaced on the west and north side of the house plus all the basement windows and a big window on the west side of the house needed replacing as well as shingles on all buildings and paint on a couple.

I didn't lose any animals but my little donkeys were out in the storm and anytime it starts to thunder or a big wind comes up now they bray their heads off so it must have really scared the poor little critters.

We have had power surges and outages a lot more frequently since the power deregulation took place. Whenever I get my power bill and then I travel to Calgary or Edmonton at night and see all the buildings lit up like Christmas trees it makes me think that we need to have a surcharge for companies that are wasting power, then maybe the rest of us wouldn't be hit so hard.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...