• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High fuel costs?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High fuel costs?

With the latest "oil crisis" in Alaska about to impose some more heavy duty increases in the price of fuel, I often wonder how high it would have to go before it is no longer viable to grow crops in this country?
    If oil goes up natural gas usually follows...and usually then fertilizer as well as just about everything else we need?
    Supposedly this causes inflation and the government has this bright idea that the best cure for that is to raise the interest rates! And on and on it goes...
    I listened to some economical guru on CNN the other night who said the high cost of gasoline in the USA is starting to take a toll on the real estate market there(as well as "high" interest rates)! He claimed that $3(US) a gallon was too high and would wreck the economy? Now a US gallon is 3.78 liters which by my math works out to 80 cents(US) a liter or about 91 cents Canadian? If 91 cents/liter is going to destroy the US economy how are we surviving here at $1.12/liter?
    I've heard numbers thrown out there about what this Alaska thing might do to gas prices. $1.50/liter seems to be popular!

Walmart is stepping up. There are now plans in the works to offer E85 gasoline at 8 Walmart stores in the US and at multiple Sam's Club locations. If the supply of ethanol can be met, Walmart is looking to eventually put a E85 station at each one of its locations. Reasons? The US government is talking about a 50 cent subsidy per gallon on ethanol. Also, Walmart knows that if it can lure consumers to it's pumps, they will save money that can be used in their stores. Walmart is working closely with the Big 3 car manufacturers, the National Corn Growers Association, Ethanol producers, and environmental and consumer groups to let them know of their interest in the subject and what is needed to get the ball rolling. Major planning and expansion of ethanol plants in the US is now planned to quickly gear up for the potential expansion into the E85 market by Walmart.

Comment

Better be careful there, 15444? Don't you know that praising Walmart, or Cargill or IBP, is pretty close to sacriledge on this site? You are supposed to praise farmer co-ops, including every bloody goofy idea that ever came down the pipeline?
      To just add to that you should smear every damned oil company that ever existed and don't forget to add every modern convenience and situation provided by such! You will then be an agri-ville hero!
      I often wonder how real some of the people, who are on here are? Probably getting a $4,000 a month check from the oil company...and complaining about how they are wrecking the world!
      And shopping at Walmart...and saying they are destroying their way of life! And finally...happy as hell to pick up the cattle check from Cargill while spouting off how evil they are!
      Get a life.

Comment

Heck, cowman, I shop at the UFA Farm Store, the vet clinic, and WALMART !!! Keep em' all going !!!!

WalMart opened in this community a couple of years ago and there was doom and gloom everywhere, local stores were going to go broke etc., but the main thing that did happen was that some of the locals that were gouging prices on everything got an attitude adjustment and everyone seems to be flourishing.

Also cowman, did you maybe consider that all the oil company checks might be going to HOBBY FARMERS ???? Oh No !!!

Comment

Cowman I dont know if you are braging or complaining about the oil biz but they are not paying aconding to the rest of us we pay on an increasing scale where they pay royalties at a set rate Gee I wonder with ralph and his side show gone what the sucessor will train his pupits to do ? probably keep right on kissing ass to the oil Execuitives. And you know the americans are not the largest players in the canadian oil field anymore.

Comment

horse, I think that some of the leadership candidates for the PC party have indicated they feel the royalty issue should be reviewed. It is going to be important to choose a leader that doesn't have big business pulling the strings.

Comment

Horse: You know I don't think the Alberta citizen is getting their fair share of the money produced from our oil and gas. I've always said that?
              The royalties the government collects are not enough...I've said that many times!
              However, one thing nobody can argue with is the oil and gas industry puts a lot of people and businesses to work!
              Hopefully the next government leader and his team will be more responsible with our assets than Ralph and company were?
              I think it is imperative though that we remain "open for business" and not go completely pyscho on spending! Which I would suggest is why we need to continue to elect the one party that isn't completely off the wall? I doubt either a Liberal government or NDP would reduce government spending?
              I often wonder who would really benifit from higher royalties? Would it be the Marthas and Henrys of Alberta...or would it be the same old gang..the doctors, the teachers, the government workers, and the politicians? Maybe the solution would be to take ALL the royalties and divy it up to all Alberta citizens? Let the government run their business on the taxes?

Comment

What about the share that should be going to all other Canadians? I am sure that the federal government has put millions of dollars in incentives, tax breaks and actual dollars into the development of the oil industry. Only makes sense that we benefit rather than being gouged at the pumps too........

Comment

every Albertan has a stake in the oil royalties and it is crucial that the next Premier recognizes that the royalties must be reviewed, and Albertans must have input into the amount of royalties collected.

If a BIG BUSINESS candidate becomes leader, look for corporations and resource companies to call the shots.

Comment

Like they're not already??

Comment

grassfarmer I didn't suggest that big business wasn't a key player, my comments were mainly that if the new leader is the one that big business is touting, then we can expect things to be even more one sided. I intend to speak with each of the candidates to see where they stand on issues such as the environment, agriculture, rural Alberta etc., and what policies they feel are necessary for the resource industries to ensure that its not short term gain and long term pain.

Comment

Wooley bear: Every Canadian is benifitting? What do you think equalization payments are? How do you think Quebec manages to stave off bankruptcy except through the equalization payments?
                        The fact of the matter is the oil and gas under Alberta belong to the citizens of Alberta? Just like the Potash belongs to Sakatchewan(as well as the oil and gas)?
                        Really...take a look at what is keeping this loser country afloat and you will come back...everytime..to the oil and gas business in ALBERTA! Fact...not fiction!
                        If Alberta left today, the rest of Canada would become Bangladesh-North!
                        Take a quick look at exports/imports? Figure it out. Alberta oil and gas is keeping this country solvent!
                        With the emphasis on ALBERTA OIL AND GAS!

Comment

Cowman what load of crap. Do you have any idea how much it is costing all albertans to have mabey 30% of the work force makeing big bucks not even counting the cost of gas ? If I need a mechanic the price is way up because the oil patch pays more so we all pay more Take a Cat or Backhoe or Trucks and so on then when you do need service you cant get decent service because there is some pimply faced kid that dont know if his rectum was punched bored or clawed out by wildcats, now everyone has to start somewhere but these kids are being put on the front line without training and we all pay the price why because the oil buiz will take anyone with a pulse and then take those who just might know something and make a $1500 a day consultant to look after who they just replaced themselves with .
                          All in all I an further behind now than I was before the big BooM came.

Comment

horse, you have such a graphic way of saying things !!!

I agree, that a lot of people aren't making the big bucks that go with the booming economy. There are many that are having a tough time of it, working at jobs in the service industry ( eg: MacDonalds, Grocery stores etc.). The spin off from the resource boom is certainly helping businesses expand and provide jobs, but most of those jobs aren't in the high income bracket.

Service has certainly deteriorated,I agree with you on that one.

Comment

Horse; You kill me!...You really "think outside the box"!
                              I'm sorry...you have just floored me with your convuluted way of thinking!
                              You are one of a kind.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...