• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rural roads

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our county tried using custom sprayers for two years, and ran their own small spray truck for some projects. The costs were astronomical, so they decided to rig up two spray trucks and use the same trucks for hauling sand in the winter.

There are significant savings, but you may be sure that the one county ratepayer that whined the loudest is the one that owns a spraying company.

I find that the local contractors expect to be awarded county jobs when times are slow in the oil patch but when the patch is booming they could care less about working for the county and certainly cannot be counted on to have equipment available in an emergency such as a wildfire, that is why our county continues to own several cats. They are used for small construction projects, clearing brush along road allowances etc.

Comment

Well actually the dispute with Red Deer has nothing to do with privatization. It has more to do with the county out competing the city for business developement.
      County council and the senior administration say $1.5 million savings a year on operations. Are they liars?
      And without a doubt I occasionally contract some service to the county so am not completely objective! As far as a "cozy little arrangement" goes....that is how business works? Or at least it sure is in my experience? I think it is always "one hand washes the other" so to speak?
      This goes on in every business. The municipality is no different than dealing with the railroad, highways, oil companies or industrial.

Comment

The mandate of municipalities is not to create work for private industry. It is to provide essential services in a fiscally responsibile manner, the level of that service will be dictated by what the citizens will accept.
        If the service level has gone down due to contracting, then its up to the public to let their council know the want improvements.

Comment

Well the concept is by contracting out the county gets more bang for its buck? They don't contract out to spend more money and keep their buddies happy?
          Is the service worse? I don't know...as I said before it would be like comparing apples to oranges..the traffic has more than doubled?
          I am pretty sure this county will never go back to a public works department. There isn't one councillor who doesn't think private contracting out isn't a good thing and some of them have been around for a long time! My own councillor has been in for about 18 years and no one has even run against her for about the last dozen. Why? Because she does a good job, has common sense, and isn't bashful about speaking her mind. She'll have the job as long as she wants it.

Comment

And she is respected across the province cowman. As far as being a FAN of councils, I am a FAN of your councillor, she is an honest, hardworking lady, and has given years to the citzens of Red Deer County. Being a municipal councillor is not for the faint of heart, the criticizms, snide comments etc. far outweigh the appreciation one receives.
            When I made the decision to run for council it was at the urging of numerous people in my division, many of whom were fed up with the councillor who was in place at that time.
            From the very first candidates forum where I spoke, I advised constituents that if they had a concern with a decision I made, or any other concern I could do very little about it if they didn't contact me and let me know.
            It is a thankless job, and many people who would make excellent councillors will not consider running because they aren't prepared to subject themselves to the abuse they may receive.
            I enjoyed my years on council, and I certainly tried to be fair and ensure I was informed before making any decisions. Once I was no longer on council it was like a breath of fresh air to be able to go out in the community without having to listen to someone complain about their road, ditch, how lazy the county staff were etc. I am being encouraged to run again next year in the municipal election but my answer is ' no thanks, I have done my time'.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...