• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

truck drivers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

truck drivers

It is widely reported that truck drivers in the oil patch are earning anywhere from $30 to $40 an hour? I don't know if this is true or not, but it got me thinking.
    Okay if they work 40 hours a week 44 weeks a year at $35/hr....they make $61,600? Now depending how you might do the math a cow might make you $0 to $200 a year...we'll be optomists and say $200! So to put matters in perspective that truck driver makes the equivalent of 308 cows!...and all he needs is a drivers license and a willing attitude!....hmmm...maybe a few guys here should upgrade their license?

And believe me there are many farmers getting licences and driving in the oil field. I would suggest your number are low for earnings for truckers in the patch cowman, you forgot to factor in overtime.

More like $80 grand per year .

Comment

I wish they would to and get to hell out of the cattle buiz but then where would they hide the money and what would they do with the land they buy to use up all that money,gee nothing but problems.

Comment

Well Horse, a lot of these young guys aren't rich old boys like you who can afford to farm at their leasure! They might need the trucking income to put the beans on the table? I imagine you were young once and maybe can remember when things were a struggle? In fact I think most of us can relate to that...if we can remember those days?
        Lets see: drought in 2002, BSE ever since, grain prices worse than the thirties(adjusted), record high inputs....is it any wonder a lot of farmers are trying to do whatever it takes to hold on by the skin of their teeth? Then throw in a family and high debts, because you haven't had 40 years to accumulate much...well I think you get the picture?

Comment

cowman, by the sound of horse's complaining, just getting up and facing the day is a struggle !!!!

Comment

Cowman, it's a good wage, but what is the insurance on those big rigs? My uncle and cousins run a transport company headquartered in Nipigon, Ontario and Winnipeg. Insurance for the rigs in Ontario is about 10 grand a year, so that has to be factored out of what they make. From what I hear, vehicle insurance premiums are about as crazy in Alberta as in Ontario.

Comment

15444, the hourly rate we have been discussing is for driving someone else's rig.

In Alberta when fuel goes up so do trucking rates !!!

Comment

Yes , thank god for truck driving.LOL.

It has solved all my ag economic issues making my ranch a profitable business.

It only cost me a spouse once... and reocurring nightmares about icy roads in cutblocks at 40 below... but the cows make money now............

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...