• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gas prices

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well unfortunately we don't live in "utopia" but the real world? Its a tough old world and everyone does what they have to survive.
    In poker the best hand doesn't always win, but the best player usually does...and that is true in life! You have to play the hand you get dealt?
    Now I believe the role of government is not to be a nanny for everyone and wipe their nose and make sure everyone lives in utopia...but obviously most don't share that view!
    I also believe you can't force "compassion" on anyone. Robbing from one person to feed another is basically evil...and also takes away the chance for the robbee to ever develop empathy for those less fortunate than themselves?
    I must be evil because I've greased the wheels on lots of deals. Hmmm...just like the politicians, big business, the purebred business! I guess I'm in good company? Just my opinion.

Comment

cowman, I have a problem with government and society being expected to provide social programs, assistance etc. for those who can very well look after themselves. I do feel that we must ensure that no-one does without the basic necessities if, through no fault of their own, then cannot proivde for themselves.

I do think we need to have an overhaul of government support programs, and do away with many of the ones that are only make work projects for the people involved.

In our community and I am sure in many others, Family and Community Support Services exists to come up with programs to meet needs of people who require community support, however, some of the directions it takes are questionable to say the least.

Comment

This doesn't have a lot to do with gas prices, but I thought I'd throw my two cents into the discussion.

I have typically taken a stance similar to Cowmans, and I'm not sure if I now feel a lot different for most cases. I am, however, getting a crash course in social support and potential poverty in Canada. I have a reasonably good government job, a masters degree in agriculture science, one toddler and another kid due in about a month. My husband was diagnosed with brain cancer this January. We are facing long-term financial difficulties because he may very well die and could be very sick for a long time first. I need to continue working (with a break to have this baby) to support our family and provide the medical benefits that we can't afford to give up. So I'm going to be figuring out what government support (in Saskatchewan) we are entitled to and when. I don't intend for us to be on 'welfare', but our situation is so uncertain that I can't rule it out.

So it has given me an inside look at what it's like to be among the unfortunate. I think we'll manage somehow, but with less of what I would like to provide for my family. Fortunately, gas price fluctuation will have a relatively minor effect on our finances, since I can walk most places I need to go.

As financially secure as you might think you are right now, it can change very fast.

Comment

FarmKid - first of all welcome. Second I wish you the strength and courage to get through the many months ahead. It must be so very difficult a time - the joy of a new baby coming and the long road ahead that your famiily/husband is facing as he recovers.

My hope is that you can find the resources that you need - whatever they may be - to help get you through all of this. It is absolutely amazing how your whole life can be changed in an instant.

Sometimes words are never enough. God bless you and your family.

Comment

I echo those comments Farmkid. Unless we walk in someones shoes we never know how our lives may change .

Comment

Best of luck while your family deals with your husband's treatments. My better half went through Chemo and Radiation treatments 5 years ago, (when the price of gas was 80 cents). That year we put on nearly 15 THOUSAND km travelling to doctors appointments, picking her up and delivering to the city where she had to stay while she got the Radiation. Thankfully we were able to get her home for real food, and to visit the kids on weekends. The outcome thankfully was successful!

It does give a person a chance to really learn (the hard way) to appreciate life, and not take it so much for granted. We've also learned to take every opportunity to say... "I Love You".

Lean on your friends if they offer, and don't be afraid to cry, because I was told that tears water the seeds of hope.

Best of luck.

Comment

That is a sad story Farmkid. That darned cancer sure has caused a lot of grief in this country. Sure hope thing work out for you guys.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...