• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sk gov gone too far

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sk gov gone too far

With relatively nothing in the provincial budget for rural Sask., they've gone too far with their waste of money on promoting their budget. At a time when desperation in rural sask. has hit crisis level our provincial government has just plain gone too far basically flonting and rubbing it in our faces spending half a million dollars on garbage ads patting themselves onthe back for things they should have done decades ago.
    We have the poorest crop insurance in the country yet supposed to be the agriculture breadbasket why no improvements?.
    Our Agminister travelled to Ottawa supposedly for aid but his main agenda was to say farmers want Cais. Give me a freaken break!!!!! Think about it we have Cais and crop insurance and most farmers are gone or going broke if those programs were working would he be going to Ottawa at all?
    that trip wasn't for aid it was to save Cais because without Cais the mega hog barns that our business development corp owns would be broke. When that happens it will be revealed how the money is funnelled from federal gov through Cais to the hog barns back to business development corp in Sask. likely not just tens of millions but more while farmers in need receive nothing or next to nothing go broke and have the option then of working for 10 bucks an hour (below poverty ) in a hog barn or leave for Alberta. But I guess that's part of the plan isn't it.
    The feds better not fall for this and keep their promise to eliminate this garbage Cais and all the government waste in salaries and pensions on these useless programs.

I have to agree, Mr Wartman is scamming all if he thinks he is doing this for Saskatchewan farmers. Hes covering his back side or back bacon.
    If we think SWP did fine with CASIP wouldn't it be nice to see what the hogs got or cargill or what accounting firms got etc.
    CASIP was flawed and those in SW Saskatchewan that lucked out for the last few years remember back to the droughts well we got nothing with frost drought frost. there will be nothing from CASIP and then all will see. Its easy to talk the talk on CASIP if you didn't need it but when one needs it, it doesn't work.
    Sooner we all get rid of wartman and his crew the better.

Comment

Absolutely right, I believe that those family farms who have had 4 out of 5 good years production wise and then had a payment from Cais because of a disaster, they totally deserve the payment and likely more. I just hope those same people would realize that those of us who have had 4 of 5 wipe-outs due to things we cannot control we're on our own, nothing from Cais. Second to that is it right that while family farmers are going broke that SWP and the other giant hog producers are maximizing out on the CAIS benefits? Is the best program also one where the government knows every detail of your life basically every cow every kernel of grian, if you look at it the Nazis never had that much of a system. Is there not a better program than one where if you pay for crop insurance where average coverage is 80 to 90 bucks an acre while costs are 180 bucks an acre premium is 10 bucks therefore in a wipe out you loose over 100 bucks acre, go to accountant pay him to do Cais, application goes to Cais sits there for 2 months before it 's looked at, a worker looks at it to see if it's filled out right, then sent to process person to calculate it out, then to revenue Canada they need extra people there to go through these forms, it goes back to crop insurance so they need extra people there to verify what they already sent out to you, it goes back to Cais and you are told because you had frost drought, frost, hail, and frost in previous years you're income is so low that you do not qualify for a Cais payment.
      I don't understand why Sask farmers aren't on the leg. grounds like those in Ontario haven't we seen enough communities and people needlessly suffer while some are benefiting from our misfortunes.

Comment

I know I will get blasted for this but what we need is a Honking big Union with some militancy built in.
        Look at the gas with the long weekend coming up the price goes up 3/4 cents and people pay because they want it now if we would put the price of food up they would have to pay also.
        I dont know how things shake out in sask but here in Alta there is more people on the gov tit with crown land and resource revenue and oil wages that need burried ,that claim they are farmers than there is real farmers , now I realize you cant tell someone how to spend thier own money ,but we cant go and cut someones wages to get thier jobs away from them so why can anyone just go out and grow bly or canola or cattle and hide wages on the farm.
        I think we need some kind of protection for our livelyhood.
        With oil becoming a larger part of the economy in Sask how does the land owner fair such as how much per lease do they recieve. Will you have to become landlords to survive as we do here in alta.

Comment

I am not a union person so to speak, however our problem as producers always has been that because we don't present ourselves as one voice we simply do not carry much power individually in the marketplace. People outside of unions don't like them usually because they are envious of the things they get for the people they represent. But they are effective in getting what they want because they hold bargaining power. I think if we want to change things we have to somehow either educate the public into understanding our situation, or we need to educate them by showing them economically the power we have. We can only do the latter if we are as a group and for example hold product off the market etc. It would be a monsterous task to accomplish. I don't think anyone should be worried about being blasted for suggesting ideas to help our situation, because I think we will need some type of new outside the normal idea to change things because the current ideas obviously don't work.

Comment

Horse: You are lumping two things together: wages and crown land! They are not the same thing at all!
            Why do you continue to rip oil field wages when they are not anywhere near the highest? Doctors, lawyers, accountants...all make considerably more...while sitting comfortably in their homes/offices...keeping regular hours?
            Are you ripping the doctor who is hiding his income as a private corporation...while he plays farmer on the side? Well no you aren't...just that evil old oil field worker!
            The idea of a "big Union" of food producers can't work in this country...at this time? Do you actually think the government would allow that? Come on...we make up two percent of the population? Has the federal government ever indicated they would in anyway allow this?
            You also imply that "farming" should be for the peasants only...no one else need apply? Well where do you draw the line? Would you forbid the farmer from accepting any money from an outside source...like investments in an oil company?
            OOPS...I guess that leaves you out too, my friend! LOL

Comment

It's not illegal to join the National Farmers Union as far as I know cowman. Redneck prejudice seems to be the main thing holding back union membership.

Comment

Cowman ;;Subsisize to furnish with a subsidy ; grant a regular alowance or pecuinary aid to. 2 To obtain the assistance of by a subsidy;often implying Bribery
                Pecuinary aid directly granted by Gov to a private commercial enterprize deemed benifical to the public. Any financial assistance afforded by individual or Gov to another.
                Thats the dictionary deffinition now how cann you argue that crown land is not a subsidy.
                As for always picking on the oil industry 2 points I realy need oil to survive SDr and Lawyers And teachers and all other high paid people that keep on messing up my chosen field I can pick and choose somewhat. And I know a lot more people in the oil industry than I know other high paid profesions and most oil people I know grew up in the trenches so to speak earning as they learned where as Dr , Lawyers Nurses Teachers had to school and then work.
                How many people you know would have said even 10 yr ago would have predicted they would be making this kind of money today?
                by the way Gas took a 4cent jump for the long weekend ,how many $ do you supose that put in the oil mans pocket? Now if we as producers was to put on a militant strike where we blockaded some major food distribution systems would that be any worse than the oil co uping the price every time there is a long weekend.

Comment

Horse: I think you know I basically agree with you on the crown lease thing? It is a scandal but likely political suicide for any politician!
                  The doctor, lawyer, teacher etc. paid to go to school...but you the taxpayer paid a lot more than they did to educate them! And I will admit the oil field worker of thirty years ago would never have dreamed of the wages they get today. But then you and I would never have dreamed about how much we pay for gasoline or oil today?...thats just the market? And the real ones making money on oil and gas aren't out in the field, but wearing three piece suits in Dallas or New York!
                  And finally grassfarmer: I doubt the NFU will ever become a force, not to say they don't have some good ideas! Too many people remember the days when the NFU turned their backs on the farmers and supported the dock workers strike! Now maybe that is ancient history, but it was very tough times back then, and a lot of farm families really got hurt by that strike! I guess you had to be there?

Comment

And the ABP haven't done stupid things in the past? and they still represent Alberta beef producers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...