• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bio deisel, ethanol etc.?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again,more agreement with cowman and emerald. Those folks who can afford to head south for the winter probably will rest their old and weary bones and perhaps--I say perhaps outlive me. Now maybe they won't live as long--it will just seem that way. I was never one to enjoy basket weaving--since I was a young person, I wanted to live on and own a ranch and my single-mindedness did pay off after lots and lots of double shifts. This life-style (job) does not pay well, but I do manage to get the bills paid that have to be paid. I have enjoyed watching my son grow up here, watch him venture out into the world, and then return here to raise the grandchildren. The grandchildren are reaping the benefits of my labour--they know so much more about life than kids from town--they have learned the joys of planting trees and watching them grow and prosper each year--planting and picking the harvest from the garden, and yes, at times endured the sorrow of death of pets and/or livestock. But as the song goes--not to have to go through the pain, would have meant missing the dance. In the end, there has been more good come from this life than bad. That I would like to have more cash in the bank, that I would like, for just one year, not to have to worry about where the funds would come from for machinery upgrades or building/fence repairs, would be a wonderful feeling. But until that happens, I continue to take the odd day off and just rest in the beautiful Alberta sun, while watching my own grass grow. The appeal of a 10 x 30 tin shack in the desert just does not do it for me--I fear I would be raising road runners and cultivating the sand within a week of such an existence.

So until cattle and hay prices increase some more, I will continue to set priorities on the expenditures and try to get the most out of every dollar and gallon of diesel this spring.

In my collection of wonderful pictures I have albums of cattle, calves and bulls in various situations. I have a bald eagle lifting off (full wing span) from the mature trees west of our buildings, an orange-quilted sunrise over the hip-roof barn to the east, ...all things that the average person does not get to see very day...

Comment

And that is why the pioneers that came before us persevered, loved the land and made their living off it as best they could.

When I visit friends or family in our nearby town and spend an afternoon sitting out on the deck I cannot wait to get back here to the peace and quiet I have.

Many of my neighbours and friends are buying ADULT LIVING CONDO's in town, and wonder why I don't want to.
      I notice that many farmers seem to lack interest in life once they move off the farm, regardless of how large their bank account may be.

Comment

Emrald, I call those 4 x 4 condos 'waiting for god' apartments. I have watched over the years, and it seems to me those folks just wither up and die from lack of meaningful things to fill their days. Now it seems the women can stay busy--dusting, baking, washing, cooking etc., but the men whose life was the land cannot easily fit into playing meaningless games etc. Those who worked the land never had a lot of hobbies--the land, the machinery and the animals that went with it were their hobby and life. I feel it is best to go with my boots on--besides, I have too much energy and too much to do for a few years. Sitting like a blimp and wondering who will bring the next meal is not my idea of a good time. But then, it appears we are in the minority--

Comment

Well, in my community, as in many others there is a DROP IN CENTRE, they have coffee and cards every morning and many of the folks that move to town gravitate there sooner or later !!

Comment

My old mother moved into one of those condos about three years ago and she is having the time of her life! Of course she was getting to the point where she was wrecking a new vehicle every year, so her mobility was going to be curtailed!
            For everthing there is a time, and it usually comes to us all sooner or later? You might not like the idea now, but might think it is just peachy when the time comes?
            Personally I think I will like it! I will just BS all the old boys and gals and have one hell of a time! Why it will just be like a never ending coffee row! LOL

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...