• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Happy Gopher Hunters

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Happy Gopher Hunters

Today while we were out doing chores, two idiots in a pick-up were driving by on the road. Of course they saw the gophers in the pasture and decided that it would be just great if they stopped and took a few shots at them. So intent were they on their "mission" that they didn't notice us standing there watching them shoot indiscriminantly into our pasture. We have livestock out there, dogs and even we have been known to do pasture walks.

One even went so far as to jump the fence to get a couple more shots off. Of course the brave souls that they were took off when they noticed me walking out there to ask them what in blazes they thought there were doing.

What would even possess someone to start shooting without making sure that it was absolutely clear to do so? What would make them think that they could do it without asking permission to do shoot in our pasture?

I cannot believe the mentality of some people out there. Thank goodness there wasn't a bad outcome.

Same thing happened to us a couple of years ago. I was in the yard and heard some shot from the northside of the yard. There is a row of tree between the house and the road with a small strip of pasture there. I jump in the truck and chase this guy a couple miles before he stops and asks why I am following him. After we had some words about his stupidity he admited his wrong doing. Some guy from town in his big company truck and no brains.

Comment

Linda, did you by any chance get close enough to get a licence number ?
      It is illegal to shoot from the road allowance, and certainly illegal to trespass on your property. Idiots like that shouldn't own a gun !!!

Someone is firing a rifle around here every evening, I get a little nervous when I am out walking with my dog. Most of the neighbours that own guns and are competent in the use and handling of them aren't out shooting, so heaven only knows who it is !!

Comment

At one time in my life I didn't believe in gun control, but some idiots out there shouldn't own a bb gun!
        It is unfortunate when you run into some moron who has no clue as well as no respect for the landowner?
        I never deny any responsible person who wants to shoot deer, gophers, etc. I do ask them to close the gates, pick up their beer cans, and don't shoot the cows or neighbors!

Comment

If anybody stops and asks permission to hunt (gophers, deer, coyotes are okay but my wife says leave the moose alone) I give permission. If I see anybody else I will chase them down in my truck and give them hell, take their license # and tell them if they come back I am phoning the cops. If they show enough respect and courtesy to ask I will let just about anybody on, but it is amazing how some people think they have the right to creep along the road and shoot out of the windows of their vehicle onto private property(I do it once in a while, but on my land).

Comment

Ron you are a brave man !! Chasing down idiots with guns can be a risky thing to do !! One never knows if they are higher than a kyte on some illicit substance or have been into the hooch !!!

Comment

Had I been able to get the license plate number I would have phoned it in right away because the next place these two morons try it the outcome might not be so good.

I don't begrudge anyone hunting but have never allowed anyone on our land to hunt because my spouse takes care of it. Actually, I'll let him get the gophers and the coyotes/foxes etc. but the bigger game is off limits. I want to be able to look at it out in a natural setting not sitting on my wall. Our quarter is along the roadway and there isn't too much sport in shooting out in the pastures.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how some people think it is okay for them to do whatever they want and everyone else be damned.

Comment

I don't allow hunters or ATV folks on my land. Too many come into this area to hunt, and don't have any farm background so would likely not know a cow from a moose, or know why a gate should be shut if you had to open it !!
                I feel that my land is my sanctuary, and I don't want others wandering around it if they don't have a reason to be here.

Comment

I dont know about brave, probably stupid. But not stupid enough to not have my cell phone on the dash and rifle beside my seat. (I know its illegal but I have had idiots shoot my grain bins and the windows out of my grain truck on separate occasions). I am either the friendliest landowner they will meet or the worst, its up to them.

Comment

Oh yeah. I havent had any property damage since I started being a grumpy farmer and chasing guys off. It was all about 5 years ago when I didnt care who shot gophers etc from the road.

Comment

I don't allow ANY hunting on my land other than by myself. I won't let relatives hunt either.

Pisses them right off, but I don't give a hoot. Some don't have the brains that God gave a goose, so why take chances.

My paradise is just that, and I intend on keeping it that way.

Comment

gun toting relatives would really make me uneasy !!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...